Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do the gears grind in your Evo?
Evo doesn't grind
27.54%
Grinds - 1st to 2nd
30.97%
Grinds - 2nd to 3rd
23.13%
Grinds - 3rd to 4th
13.46%
Grinds - 4th to 5th
26.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 817. You may not vote on this poll

Mitsubishi, synchros and us

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi, synchros and us

Hey guys,

I keep reading here and there and meeting EVO owners who have fifth, second and even fourth gear grind when shifting especially on high RPM. I have had my EVO since may of 2003 and I loved it However, especially lately I started noticing 4th gear grind when switching from 3rd to 4th not bad but some times it happens and some times it does not.. I am worried if it’s my synchro and I believe it is. It seems that our transmission are having some serious issues. Lets keep it here to the point we need to start doing something all of EVO owners who have gear grinds, I think Mitsu should look closer in the design and call recall or at least do something. We have spent 30K on a car that cant shift right @ 7K RPM.. My modes can be seen under my name but my 4th gear grind was since last year but I have not paid attention to it… I did not take it to Mitsu before because I am tired of them voiding warranties on us, including my brakes which they are still stock. I am upset because this is not a driver fault and something needs to be done about it. I went ahead and replaced my clutch thinking that should solve the issue obviously that did not help much and now I am up in the air. I would like a to start a poll ( plz help from moderators)

1. Vote only if your EVO grinds and on which gear
2. Vote only if your EVO does not grind

Please don’t vote until you are sure. Go ahead and take your EVO on small drive and try shifting on high (6K and above) and please vote after that. If we don’t get anything out of this at least new EVO owners will be aware of the issue and Mitsu will take us (customers) more seriously next time.

Note my car has never been to track or any racing event of any kind and that is making me unhappy.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by grind do you mean it makes a loud nasty noise like when you try to shift w/o depressing the clutch?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XLR8R
by grind do you mean it makes a loud nasty noise like when you try to shift w/o depressing the clutch?

YES, not to loud but you can feel it while shifting.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:04 PM

Hmm...occasionally it feels notchier than usual and makes a noise, hard to describe, right before it goes into gear, but nothing like the noise/vibration when you try to shift w/o the clutch
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Just to add to my post above. I have had GTI 1.8T, S4 AUDI, S2000 Honda, Civic Si, Acura RSX S, WRX, VW R32, MR2. I owned all these cars above in period of 5 years and I have been driving stick for more than 10 years, I know when a car grinds. the EVO is the car that Ihave babied. I have been very nice to it. I used to drive my S2000 and shift gears at 9200 RPM with out even one grind for 2 years. I believe this is a manufacture defect and Mitsu needs to step up.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:05 PM

My 2nd gear has always done it. My 5th feels like it might have a small problem too but I've only done a few 4-5 shifts @ ~6k. Unless I _really_ concentrate and time it right when i'm doing a quick 1-2 shift over 6k mine will grind.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boks
My 2nd gear has always done it. My 5th feels like it might have a small problem too but I've only done a few 4-5 shifts @ ~6k. Unless I _really_ concentrate and time it right when i'm doing a quick 1-2 shift over 6k mine will grind.

same here 4th does it when at 5.5K and above... 5th feels much stiffer.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

moderators can you please help me start a poll? or show me how?

thanks
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

When it's over 80 degrees with the ac on and turning over 5000 rpm, mine will always grind going from first to second. Must have ALL of these conditions or it won't happen. I also get a loud klunk when shifting into first while rolling. All of these noises have been occuring and I have been complaining about it to the dealer from the beginning.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BMan
When it's over 80 degrees with the ac on and turning over 5000 rpm, mine will always grind going from first to second. Must have ALL of these conditions or it won't happen. I also get a loud klunk when shifting into first while rolling. All of these noises have been occuring and I have been complaining about it to the dealer from the beginning.

You shift INTO first while rolling? Um...You're not supposed to do that....

Also, the AC compressor kicks off at WOT and above 5000 RPM's. It doesn't come back on again until after you have dropped below 5000 RPM and less than WOT for more than 5 consecutive seconds...or thereabouts...So your condition is very strange.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Sep 17, 2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

moderators, please help me start a poll? or show me how?

Our EVOs are not spouse to grind even with all these conditions. They have 7K before redline means that you can take it up there safly with no issues ( not every day) but you should be able to hit 7K RPM with no issues, none... after all they are the ones who put redline at 7K not me. they should have put it at 5K then..
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Added poll.

Figured check box (so you can vote for more than one if appropriate) would be best style.

Let me know if you want it changed any...
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Our EVOs are not spouse to grind even with all these conditions. They have 7K before redline means that you can take it up there safly with no issues ( not every day) but you should be able to hit 7K RPM with no issues, none... after all they are the ones who put redline at 7K not me. they should have put it at 5K then..
I drive the hell out of my car, taking it to redline almost every time I drive. I have never missed a shift or heard the gears grind in my car. I have heard it in other's Evos and even driven a couple that had this mysterious grind. I was able to get one of them to grind while I was driving it...Very strange and nasty sounding. It sounded like a high pitched impact wrench spinning as fast as it could.

Here are some things to try. They might help you out.

1. Shift a little slower. Yes, the Evo was built for performance driving, but the transmission is cable actuated, not lever actuated like most frint engine/rear wheel drive cars. If you try to shift too fast, you are going to be sloppy, beacuse of the linkage and the ammount of "slop" that is in it. The saying "slower is faster" applies here.

2. Move your seat 1 click forward of your current position. The Evo that I drove that I ended up grinding on the 1/2 shift, I noticed that the seat was a little more rearward than where my seat is positioned. The driver of that car and me are the same height: 5'11". I moved it forward one click and I never missed a shift again. He never has either, so he says.

Try these and see if it helps.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
I drive the hell out of my car, taking it to redline almost every time I drive. I have never missed a shift or heard the gears grind in my car. I have heard it in other's Evos and even driven a couple that had this mysterious grind. I was able to get one of them to grind while I was driving it...Very strange and nasty sounding. It sounded like a high pitched impact wrench spinning as fast as it could.

Here are some things to try. They might help you out.

1. Shift a little slower. Yes, the Evo was built for performance driving, but the transmission is cable actuated, not lever actuated like most frint engine/rear wheel drive cars. If you try to shift too fast, you are going to be sloppy, beacuse of the linkage and the ammount of "slop" that is in it. The saying "slower is faster" applies here.

2. Move your seat 1 click forward of your current position. The Evo that I drove that I ended up grinding on the 1/2 shift, I noticed that the seat was a little more rearward than where my seat is positioned. The driver of that car and me are the same height: 5'11". I moved it forward one click and I never missed a shift again. He never has either, so he says.

Try these and see if it helps.

believe me, I have tried both of your ideas . The first one was and still being used as I dont have $3000 to build my tranny.. I have change oils and as time pass by it keeps getting worse... I have been told it will get worse and worse till it falls apart..
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

i got the notch into 2nd

had the tranny rebuilt in my gst at 45k. seems to be the way this one is heading too.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi, synchros and us