Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS SSQ-BOV Inquiries!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS SSQ-BOV Inquiries!!!

Guys,
Just installed a universal type HKS SSQ-BOV VTA and have couple of questions for you:

1. Why does it not "whistle" when venting? It vents with pumping sound but it does not have that winding whistle sound like my Eclipse's SSQ-BOV. Only difference was that Eclipse had flange mounting vs. Evo's rubber neck extended mounting. That whistling sound was totally kiss ****, especially under a bridge and next to that unsuspecting Honduh...

2. On my previous Forge VTA and some degree HKS, there's smell of fume or fuel at WOT of 20 psi and thereafter venting. I thought BOV vents excess air intake not fuel. Is this norm?

thanks always...
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UH, probably running rich due to vta. do you have an hks eids ?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

No, but I do have recirc valve ready to be installed.

But why does it not "whistle"....
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

The bov shouldn't whistle. It should make a noise in between shifts and letting off the gas. The sound differs from what insert you have. I had the purple insert and it made a fluttering noise. The gold insert makes the little mouse chirp that everyone seems to like.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spyderx
Guys,
Just installed a universal type HKS SSQ-BOV VTA and have couple of questions for you:

1. Why does it not "whistle" when venting? It vents with pumping sound but it does not have that winding whistle sound like my Eclipse's SSQ-BOV. Only difference was that Eclipse had flange mounting vs. Evo's rubber neck extended mounting. That whistling sound was totally kiss ****, especially under a bridge and next to that unsuspecting Honduh...

2. On my previous Forge VTA and some degree HKS, there's smell of fume or fuel at WOT of 20 psi and thereafter venting. I thought BOV vents excess air intake not fuel. Is this norm?

thanks always...
The HKS SSQ BOV will make a fluttering noise at low boost and a high pitch chirp/chuff at high boost. This is with the recirc kit OR VTA with the stock insert.

The fuel smell is from the excess air vented (even with the recirc) and the ECU still dumpimg to much fuel at clutch input. Our cars are so rich from the factory and the ECU seeing all that air puts even more fuel in, even though all that air (or some of it) was just vented, resulting in the bogging/stumbling scenario many Evo owners talk about.

The EIDS is a gread solution for this problem, or if you have the $$$ get the HKS SAFC...you can tune your fuel AND it has EIDS built in.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, my HKS SSQ-BOV is for Sale! Recirculation valve included, you have to find a rubber hose. I'll let it go for $210 shipped. Nothing wrong with it, I'm going back to stock! Please let me knwo...