Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

PA Emissions passed WITH TEST PIPE

Old Jan 1, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA Emissions passed WITH TEST PIPE

Hi all,
I have a Helix DP and Catback with a Megan Racing Test Pipe. According to PA state law, MY '96 and later cars are emissions tested using the ODB scanners and are not required to do the dyno/sniffer test. So I installed the mechanical O2 fix using the sparkplug antifoulers 2 weeks ago and rolled into an autoshop to get my inspection done yesterday.... keep in mind that I DONT have a hookup with this shop. So the guy hooked it up and no CEL/error codes showed up. But then I almost **** myself when he says to me "man that car runs a little rough(cams, HKS RS), you got it souped up?" and he looks under the car!!! The megan racing test pipe isn't straight, it thickens in the middle sort of to look like a cat and he says to me, "is that cat aftermarket?" and I say "uh, yes it is." He shrugs and says "you might want to get your fuel system looked at, it smells a little rich." and he puts on my stickers and sends me on my way!

I don't know if maybe he knew what was going on and just decided to look the other way or if he just didn't feel like bothering with it. Anyway, I'm going try to see if I can get that shop to be my hookup for next year.

Point is, in PA and many other states, new cars don't require a visual inspection or a sniffer test. Therefore, you can pass emissions with a test pipe provided you have a way of fixing the CEL/SES light.

Last edited by makaveli_31; Jan 1, 2005 at 06:06 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old Jan 1, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by makaveli_31
and are not required to do the dyno/sniffer test.
I belive this only applies to 4WD cars, as the state does not have 4wd dynos. I do think that a visual inspection is required - you just got lucky as your test pipe had a widening in it and appeared to look like an aftermarket cat.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 06:58 AM

depending on state, your first year test is just visual no sniffer. I know many pple who pass on the first year w/o a cat but next time around they are prolly gonna do an idle sniffer test (but no dyno test since we are awd).
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:08 AM

All this mention of dyno tests for inspection. What do other states use the dyno for during inspection. I am assuming you are referring to testing emissions while on a dyno. I didn't know that was necessary. Never really thought about it. Guess I am just curious since my county in PA doesn't require emissions so I am clueless as to what is actually involved. They do the obd2 and visual though.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

My acura integera is a 2001 and just passed on Thursday. It has a jdm r motor in it with cams. Guy told me as long as it doesn't throw a cel light, it doesn't get put on the dyno/sniffer. So it applies to all wheel and front/rear wheel drive cars.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by makaveli_31
Hi all,
I have a Helix DP and Catback with a Megan Racing Test Pipe. According to PA state law, MY '96 and later cars are emissions tested using the ODB scanners and are not required to do the dyno/sniffer test. So I installed the mechanical O2 fix using the sparkplug antifoulers 2 weeks ago and rolled into an autoshop to get my inspection done yesterday.... keep in mind that I DONT have a hookup with this shop. So the guy hooked it up and no CEL/error codes showed up. But then I almost **** myself when he says to me "man that car runs a little rough(cams, HKS RS), you got it souped up?" and he looks under the car!!! The megan racing test pipe isn't straight, it thickens in the middle sort of to look like a cat and he says to me, "is that cat aftermarket?" and I say "uh, yes it is." He shrugs and says "you might want to get your fuel system looked at, it smells a little rich." and he puts on my stickers and sends me on my way!

I don't know if maybe he knew what was going on and just decided to look the other way or if he just didn't feel like bothering with it. Anyway, I'm going try to see if I can get that shop to be my hookup for next year.

Point is, in PA and many other states, new cars don't require a visual inspection or a sniffer test. Therefore, you can pass emissions with a test pipe provided you have a way of fixing the CEL/SES light.
hell yeah - great story !!!
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil_evo
Guess I am just curious since my county in PA doesn't require emissions so I am clueless as to what is actually involved. They do the obd2 and visual though.
When they idle sniff emissions, there is no load on the engine. With the dyno they try simulate highway driving on the dyno and measure emissions on the car when there is some load on it. They put it in top gear, take it to 3000rpm or so and measure emsissions for some time (60 secs maybe?). That is the extent of the dyno emissions testing (at least in PA).
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

funny you mention that...we took the 98 gst in for emmissions the other day and i about crapped myself.

60 trim
tial 40mm wastegate with EXTERNAL dump
3" turbo back w/testpipe
There was a huge exhaust leak from a cracked turbo/manifold gasket
255 pump, 660 injectors and the car has a 95 ecu in it w/dsmlink... we didn't even have a base tune on the car either, it barely idled. this thing has been down for about 3 months waiting for a tranny, and we drove it straight to the test facility... there was even some greasy handprints on the heat sheild burning off, and it was smoking from under the hood. This car would've made the epa cry

they plugged it in, didn't pull any codes, and stamped it passed...wow!...lucky for us they didnt' pop the hood or sniff it...

let's hear it for the enviromentally freindly 12 sec dsm

actually, let's hear it for dsmlink not enabling daignotic codes by default

Last edited by koolade9; Jan 1, 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

If you go to the PA Dmv site www.dmv.state.pa.us, it tells you what emissions test you need depending on your Car's Model year. 96 and newer cars (that's all Evos) you will need only a gas cap pressure test and an ODB scan. The visual inspection is only needed for cars without onboard diagnostic equipment.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

One of the very very very few benifits of living in PA... one of the better ones is in my county even... our emissions testing consists of visiual inspection and a gas cap vacuum check... hell, they don't even check for CEL's... dyno check??? LOL... they don't even know what the hell a dyno is... ...
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah emission tests in PA are pretty weak for the most part, but if you dont have yellow turn signals or got a tiny crack in the windshield you wont pass PA inspections haha....pa is great.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well in Cali., they will check everything and everything here. Bastards!