Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear clunking noise after brake change?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear clunking noise after brake change?

Small problem, perhaps someone has an idea. Saturday I changed my brakes Hawk HPS brake pads on all 4 corners. I broke them in as recommended and braking performance seems "okay" by stock pad standards. However, I'm now hearing a strange "clunk" noise that seems to occur when I step on the brakes after sitting for a bit or going in reverse. In other words, I really only hear this clunking generally when pressing the brakes during parking-lot driving speeds. The sounds seem to be coming from the rear. I've done my brakes numerous times before and haven't ever had this. I used a high temp caliper lube on the pads. It happens even when I don't use my parking brake.

Could the rear brakes not properly be seated and the clunk sound is the piston actually shifting them? Is this a result of going from not bleeding the lines? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...earchid=833786

hope that helps..
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah searched and came up w/ the same results. Unfortunately, people are talking about using the parking brake and other things. It's not quite the same thing, though they still may be related. Also I didn't see any that mentioned bleeding the brakes. I figured I may be able to get some localized feedback before taking jacking the car and redoing the rears. Anyway, thanks for your reply. :P
Old Mar 14, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guitardave24
However, I'm now hearing a strange "clunk" noise that seems to occur when I step on the brakes after sitting for a bit or going in reverse.
Does the clunk also happen when you release the brakes, or just when you step on the pedal? Or, maybe you hear it when the car starts rolling after sitting for a while? Tell us more...

Emre
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I just did a test in the parking lot after driving for a bit...

I came to a stop, went in reverse for a few feet, stepped on the brakes and "clunk".
Then, rolled forward a few feet, stepped on the brakes and "clunk" again. I could basically do this by going back and forth like that. After a couple stops going forward, the clunking would stop. It's almost like going in reverse shifts or moves the brake pad and pressing the brake shifts it back into place... Later I am probably going to have someone help me so I can listen on the outside where the sound is coming from.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guitardave24
I came to a stop, went in reverse for a few feet, stepped on the brakes and "clunk". Then, rolled forward a few feet, stepped on the brakes and "clunk" again. I could basically do this by going back and forth like that.
I see. Did you use both pad shims? There are the metal ones that go between the back of the pad and the pistons, and there are the adhesive ones that stick to the backing plates.

Also, what condition are your rotors in? If they're excessively grooved or unevenly worn, then they might be dragging the pads in a funny way.

BTW, to answer your earlier question, bleeding the brakes shouldn't make a difference in this case. If you had air or condensation in your lines, the pedal will feel mushy and your brake torque will suffer, but you shouldn't get any clunking.

Emre
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Did you bed the pads correctly when you installed them, the instructions they come with might not be correct for an Evo... it's happened before? A lot of people don't usually do that the right way cuz it's a hassle to go 60 and slam on your brakes a bunch of times
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its probablt the parking brake readjusting itself.
Live with it for a few more days and see if it goes away.
Sometimes it takes a while for it to settle back into adjustment, if thats not it, you prolly got a shim reversed or something.
Does it seem like its coming from a specific side of the car?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no brake should make a clunk noise.

if the pad's not embedded right, it'll vibrate and make a squeeking noise.

Make sure it's not something inside your car or your trunk moving around hitting things.

otherwise, the people who installed your car didn't put something back together where it belongs.

check for loose suspension parts, clearance for the brembo, that's where I would start.

then take it back to the dealer and tell them they f ed up, fix it.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
then take it back to the dealer and tell them they f ed up, fix it.
Unfortunately, I did the job myself as I've done many times before.

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
I see. Did you use both pad shims? There are the metal ones that go between the back of the pad and the pistons, and there are the adhesive ones that stick to the backing plates.
I did use the original shims and put them on as they were originally (though they were somewhat toasted from my previous track day.) The little arrow faces "up", right? Though this is interesting because I've never seen "adhesive" ones. I've only ever seen metal shims. I've ordered front shims from Mitsu before and only got the metal plates. The front Hawk pads had a layer of black rubber or something on the backing plate that the shim went on. The back pads did not have this layer, just the plate itself. This is strange though because I've never left out any parts when changing my brakes... never saw anything but the metal shim.

To bed them, I did about 8 35-mph quick stops followed by 3 45-mph stops.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so the brakes are bedded.

did you take the caliper off install or caliper in install where you just take your pads out by decompressing the pistons?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, could the "adhesive" part just be something that comes w/ the original OE pads?

EDIT: I just called Mitsu parts and they said that there is a "glued" on piece that comes with the stock rear pad. The metal shim is separate from this though, of course.

Last edited by guitardave24; Mar 14, 2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
did you take the caliper off install or caliper in install where you just take your pads out by decompressing the pistons?
I've never touched the calipers. I only pull the pins out and take them out by pushing back the pistons.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Okay so... i had my friend help me a bit. It appears that BOTH rear pads "clunk" when the piston presses them in. He can see the moving. I wonder if both pads are just too small or something?? Any ideas? Unfortunately I don't have the original box anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:26 PM

I would bet that the backing plates of the pads are not the "exact" size as stock so that they have room to move back and forth in the caliper bracket. Here is what is most likely happening; back up, put the brake on and they shift forward in the bracket. Go foreward, put on the brake and they shift backward in the bracket.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking noise after brake change?