Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

You're not going to believe this!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are any of you surprised by this?

Well, maybe you won't be surprised after all. I went to pick up my Eclipse at Fresno Mitsubishi yesterday after getting the 60,000 mile service. They have a graphite gray MR on the floor (a beauty!). While I was waiting for them to bring my keys to the front desk, I spoke with the service manager and pointed to the MR. I asked him, "Would you own an Evo?" He replied, "You know, I'm so conservative when it comes to maintenance, I don't think I would. They're too expensive to own." "Have you driven one?" I asked. "Oh yeah", he replied. He then proceeded to tell me that when the first new Evo came to the dealership back in '03, the manager took him up highway 41 and got the car up to about 155 mph (he said it felt like 70 mph). After his ride, the manager proceeded to take all of the techs and salesmen on the same joyride ("just to get it out of their system").

So I guess it really is true. Dealerships do sometimes beat the hell out of new cars. My only thought was, "Great! Who's the poor bastard that bought that Evo as new after it had been run to its limit over and over again?" There's supposed to be a break in period, right? Doesn't redlining a brand new engine jack it up? So I guess dealerships don't really care. I learned a valuable lesson. Never buy a new Evo with more than a few miles on it.

Oh, by the way. Who puts on the first 7 or 8 miles, before it reaches the dealership? I've never seen a new car with fewer than 7 miles. Is it possible that those first few miles are driven really hard by some guy at the factory?

Last edited by mathgeek; Mar 23, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:23 AM

Ignorance is bliss.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I know exactly what u mean. I've seen a car salesmen at a ford dealership 'rev the hell out of a brand new '03 cobra. As nice as it sounded, the guy is a retard for doing that cause not only did he scare the crap out of the customers, he probably lost some customers for just beating the hell out of it. Oh well, the car is made to take a beating. There is a break-in period, but if u do something like that very rarely, then its not the big of a deal. Plus, u got a warranty, so keep that in mind.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

that must suck for the guy who bought it...but then who knows if the manager really drove it or he was jus bsing
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I have every reason to believe that he was telling the truth. Come to think of it, I remember applying to a Porsche dealership (too many years ago) for a detailing position. I saw a young salesman pull up in a brand new 911 turbo. He had just driven the %#*! out of it. I could smell the clutch as he recounted how fast the car goes in first gear.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

just wait untill that guy reads this post...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

i'm scared of the mechanics too. i cringe for the day i have to take my car in for any repairs because they usually "test drive" your car after they make all repairs.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

155 is pretty ballsy considering it would proabbly take a minute to get up to 155.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twinevo
i'm scared of the mechanics too. i cringe for the day i have to take my car in for any repairs because they usually "test drive" your car after they make all repairs.
I actually told the service guy that I didn't want anyone to drive my car after the tune-up, and they wrote it down on the invoice. I had put a slip of paper with the mileage written on it next to the odometer to let them know that I was keeping track. Sure enough, they didn't drive it. So if you ask them not to, and let them know that you're serious about it, they won't. OR, you can let them drive it with you in the car. But I don't trust anybody.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

lol...they probably thought "man, this guy is being a lil b*tch"...
but yea i get scared when i leave my car to be fixed, but when i get my car back i get like...2miles extra on it,..not bad...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

quote "Who puts on the first 7 or 8 miles, before it reaches the dealership? I've never seen a new car with fewer than 7 miles. Is it possible that those first few miles are driven really hard by some guy at the factory?"
when i got my OZ off the show floor it had 5miles on it....the miles comes from drivng off the assembily line on to truck...then driving onto a boat..off the boat etc.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
I have every reason to believe that he was telling the truth. Come to think of it, I remember applying to a Porsche dealership (too many years ago) for a detailing position. I saw a young salesman pull up in a brand new 911 turbo. He had just driven the %#*! out of it. I could smell the clutch as he recounted how fast the car goes in first gear.
i got a buddy who has a GT3...they only makes those in germany plant (special order if im not mistken)....this is no BS...right after they pull it out of the assembly line they drive the ever loving dog **** outta it...how they test it....or atleast what i was told. if someone has 1st hand account then tell....
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Believe it.

Wayyyy back in the '80s, my brother and I went to test drive a new Porsche 944 Turbo.

My brother asked the salesman if we could "open it up" (I was sitting in the back seat, so-called).

The salesman simply said: "If you get a ticket it's yours".

We got onto the freeway on-ramp and, at full-throttle, we hit about 140.

Cool salesman? Maybe. But like you said, whoever bought that car...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

hehe same when me and my friend were looking at RX-8 (new at the time)...the dealer guy said we couldn't test drive it cuz we were only 17,...but hed take us for a ride..

So like he said,..he took us for a ride in the RX-8,...and he pretty much beat the sh*t outt of it for 6 miles...turned around, did the same thing for another 6 miles back to the dealer...

fun ride,...car was smooth and quiet, nice interior,..but like you said, whoever bought the car...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:41 AM

I had 4 miles on it when I got mine. I was quite surprised and relived - if there was going to problem with it, it was either my doing or something wrong with the motor in the first place. I've had it 15 months and all's good, original clutch and tires, 10K on it now ;-) Clutch not as sharp as it was new, still quite good, may last another 5-10K...

Originally Posted by mathgeek
Well, maybe you won't be surprised after all. I went to pick up my Eclipse at Fresno Mitsubishi yesterday after getting the 60,000 mile service. They have a graphite gray MR on the floor (a beauty!). While I was waiting for them to bring my keys to the front desk, I spoke with the service manager and pointed to the MR. I asked him, "Would you own an Evo?" He replied, "You know, I'm so conservative when it comes to maintenance, I don't think I would. They're too expensive to own." "Have you driven one?" I asked. "Oh yeah", he replied. He then proceeded to tell me that when the first new Evo came to the dealership back in '03, the manager took him up highway 41 and got the car up to about 155 mph (he said it felt like 70 mph). After his ride, the manager proceeded to take all of the techs and salesmen on the same joyride ("just to get it out of their system").

So I guess it really is true. Dealerships do sometimes beat the hell out of new cars. My only thought was, "Great! Who's the poor bastard that bought that Evo as new after it had been run to its limit over and over again?" There's supposed to be a break in period, right? Doesn't redlining a brand new engine jack it up? So I guess dealerships don't really care. I learned a valuable lesson. Never buy a new Evo with more than a few miles on it.

Oh, by the way. Who puts on the first 7 or 8 miles, before it reaches the dealership? I've never seen a new car with fewer than 7 miles. Is it possible that those first few miles are driven really hard by some guy at the factory?

Quick Reply: You're not going to believe this!