Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Island Jeep/mitsubishi SCREWED Me

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Island Jeep/mitsubishi SCREWED Me

1ST TRIP- so 6 weeks ago I notice my car (2005 evo8) grinding 5th a little bit at high rpm's. every other gear is perfect though. with my act/fidanza sitting next to me, I decided to bring it to a local mod-friendly dealer because they were willing to put my clutch/flywheel in for only 2 hours labor while the tranny was out. so I get the car back and everything is perfect except the shifter moves in 1st gear as you accelerate and deccelerate back and forth, almost like its going to pop out f gear but it never does. they tell me they spoke to the mitsu service rep and he says its fine. In my head I know this is BS and it shouldnt be moving but whatever, i love my clutch and I'm happy to have the car back and i'm assured that if there is a problem i can bring it back. I make i to my town, 20 mins away, and i cant get the car into 3rd gear no matter what i do.

2ND TRIP- So i go home and being it back in the AM skipping 3rd cuz no matter what u do it wont go in. they take the car, fix the problem and i get it back 4 days later. shifter still moves in 1st but 3rd seems ok. 2 days later car will barely go into any gear at all. very hard to get into gear. (they later told me they put the 3rd gear synchro upside down)

3RD TRIP- I bring it back and they say its because Of the gear oil I gave them (redline shock proof 75W90) BUT they figure better safe then sorry and rebuild it again this time. So I get it back and drive it around. from a stop its very hard to get into first and reverse and it shifts rough overall but I dont care at this point cuz I've been without my car what seems like forever. Car is going good for almost 2 weeks when this past thurs night i'm cruising down the highway doing 60mph on my cell with my Gf going to a bar and I smell what seems like rubber burning. I pull over and then pop the hood and look under the car to see if something is burning or rubbing against my tires. nothing. the car is making this sound that sounds like my tranny is a lottery machine full of rocks with numbers on them. Def at least 2000 rocks just bouncing around. I was scared to keep looking at it cuz I thought something was going to blow out of the bell housing and take my head off

4TH TRIP- I drive it to the dealer turning every head of anyone walking around because people think i'm dragging a fleet of shopping carts behind me. "Nah thats just my mitsu tranny" I leave my car there overnight and now the guy calls me and says "if this because of abuse then its not gonna be covered" i say WTF only 5th was messed up when I ordered it but now every other thing has went wrong.

well they told me that two tech reps from mitsu just so happen to come in last friday and told them they better not be warranting my car because of the mods. So in his words "Theres nothing we can do for you anymore"

I'm now picking up my car with a flatbed and I bought a TRE tranny for 2650$ and i'm having gary (mitsubishigraveyard.com) install it.

I'm probably going to sue them. I might even sit in my car every saturday and play playstation with a huge banner on the side of my car that says "ISLAND JEEP SCREWED ME"

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESNT WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY, BASICALLY I BROUGHT THEM MY CAR ORIGINALLY FOR A SLIGHT 5TH GEAR GRIND AND NEW CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL INSTALL. THEY GAVE ME MY CAR BACK IN WORSE CONDITION THEN I BROUGHT IT THERE IN. SINCE THEN I KEPT GETTING MY CAR BACK WORSE THEN I GOT IT. NOW THEY BASICALLY KICKED ME OUT AND PROBABLY VOIDED MY WARRANTY FOR THEIR POOR WORKMANSHIP.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucks to hear that man.....good luck
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

if it makes you feel any better. the mitsu dealer i bought my lancer from gave me a 5 lug donut instead of a 4 lug.

oh yea.

sorry dude. mitsubishis hates all of us.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Why the hell did you buy a new tranny. You have a lemon. Talk to a lemon law lawyer. You should get a brand new evo. 3 times for the same thing= lemon
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had problems with grinding in all gears and really bad drivability when I put the redline in. I had the redline pulled out almost immediately and replaced it with GM Synchro mesh. The issues went away.

I also have a 5th gear grind when I am over 4k rpm's. We took a look at this and found it was being caused by the 5th gear synchro. There is a way to fix it but it requires machining the synchro. I figured I could live with keeping it under 4k when shifting to 5th.

Sorry you had such a bad experience!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear your problem

another story about dealer don't know how to fix a

may be we should start bring our car to Toyota and Honda dealer
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

wow that really sucks man
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

If they put the Redline Shockproof oil into your transmission then I'm willing to bet that caused all of your problems. The shockproof oil is made for our transfercase. Redline MT90 would of been the correct oil for the transmission.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hungbee112
If they put the Redline Shockproof oil into your transmission then I'm willing to bet that caused all of your problems. The shockproof oil is made for our transfercase. Redline MT90 would of been the correct oil for the transmission.
Exactly
Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

This is why NO mitsu people will touch my car
Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Funny, that dealership is right around the corner from my girlfriend's place. Her family had 2 Sebrings (now just 1) and a Liberty from them and has had some notably good and some notably bad service from them. I've never heard of such a blatantly horrible result from their service though. Shame too, cuz the new Mitsubishi show room looks great.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Regarding the oil......did you provide them with the wrong grade of oil (referring to your 3rd TRIP write-up) ? If so, surely they would know better than to use it for the tranny ?

Someone here has stated that Redline Shock Proof 75W90 is transfer case oil and not the correct transmission oil (redline MT90) and that that could be the foundation of your problem ?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry man....I feel for ya. I called it on those mitsu reps denying you coverage a week ago or so when you posted in the previous thread. Im not surprised at all this happened. Man, you deserve a new tranny.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm going to be protesting outside the dealer and probably sueing them also. i'll post updates
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

IF ANYONE WANTS TO SUPPORT THE CAUSE E-MAIL THEM AT

SERVICE@ISLANDJEEP.COM

Quick Reply: How Island Jeep/mitsubishi SCREWED Me