Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Car PC, Need some Assistance in Chicago Area.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check this out for some good info.....link
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know of any mac software for the car.. mac is whack. lol. I have a mini pc that would fit in a glovebox with some modification.. all you would need is a touch screen, power inverter, and the car software. Here is the link for the home theatre mini pic I have. http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...180&class=mega
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
check this out for some good info.....link
oh man, thanks for that link. I was always looking for a site that made specialty computer products for cars.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah those Xenarc's are nice. I found those searching a few days ago. But they are expensive, Mac Mini is only 500
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I came up for the design for that hardrive I initially thought of it suspended with rubber bands pulling it into 8 diff directions.. Each corner having a rubber band extending to an outside rectangular casing. However due to the fact that this PC will fit entirely on my glove box I found that I would not have enough room for this to work.

Hence I came up with that design.. I am well aware of the heat issues which is why I actually have holes on the top and bottom of those sponges and in these holes I have small fans blowing air out into the open. I tested it by putting a heater on it for about 3 hours and it worked flawlessly. I like this design better as it seemed to reduce shock much better and it was way smaller.

I'm actually a computer Tech myself so I'm very well aware of heat issues. The Motherboard is actually neatly fit inside it's own case.. Let me show you how small it really is. It is the about the size if not smaller than a radio deck.

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 09:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much and how did you get the jap 2 din center console face plate?

that's what I want to know.

that and which touchscreen are you using?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

that is sick.... I was just thinking about doing something like this today. What hardware was used to make that pc? custom case I'm guessing. Nice work. That is the size I'm thinking I will be making mine. What if the HD was mounted with rubber grommets?that would absorb some of the shock? Could you use a USB external lacie drive?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

depending on how much you have to store, a really good choice for a harsh ride would be to use a flash storage drive, no moving parts in it. I know there are a few that are 2GB, I'm not sure if they make any bigger models. As for heat, I think those Mini ITX motherboards w/ integrated proc. don't produce that much heat, but yea, heat is your main enemy (take a look into underclocking, for a car computer, you could probably afford to trade off some power for reliability). If you're looking for a big hard drive, get an 80gig 2.5" hdd (the ones used in laptops). They seem to be more resistant to shock, they are smaller, and thus you'd get more options as how to cool it. You can also look into a pcmcia adapter and get one of those pcmcia cards from tmobile and you'd get internet access anywhere. Hm, such a setup, you could easily get 2 directional antennas, place them, and have a perfect war driving setup ... but I digress Another cool thing to look into, is to get some voice recognition software, get a cheap wireless microphone (rf should work for such a small distance) and control the computer with voice commands. hehe, that would be awsome. I was planning on building a car computer, but that's so far in the future, it's not even funny But yea, good luck with your build, and keep us informed, I'm curious how it turns out.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

how much for JDM double din dash piece
i need to know asap
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome to see another evo owner with a car pc. I just finished mine a few months ago.
(still have OBDII and bluetooth to get)
www.mp3car.com has all the answers you need if you want to try this.

if you don't want to build one you can buy one like this:
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/mobilepc.html

i chose to get a fold in type screen. check my install here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=135008

this was a very fun project and pm me if you would like any help. =)
Old Apr 27, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

I got my double dash din from Gruppe-S When you call ask for Tom he's super cool and he is also in the works of building his own PC. and If I remember correctly I think it was about 160$ for the piece. It comes from japan and took about 3 weeks to get to me. Good luck.

And for the one that asked about the Screen it's a Xenarc touch Screen 7 inch.. and I must say it works flawlessly.

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; Apr 27, 2005 at 07:53 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alexandru
d. If you're looking for a big hard drive, get an 80gig 2.5" hdd (the ones used in laptops).
This is a very good point. Laptop drives are much better suited to this application. My old roommate used to work here:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ibrary/wi-pvc/

They used the hitachi laptop drives for their in car setups.

d
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Nice carputer hope it works out for ya. I went with a simple route using a dvd HU, and a fujitsu p5010 centrino notebook with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Im thinking of going with a mac mini lately but I will have to continue using my notebook for tuning.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Nice setup....

I installed my carpc in my Evo in the Fall of 2003. I wish I knew this AC relocation was a possibility back then. It seems back then, everyone thought you would have to use the JDM climate control system so that the controls would be 100% electrical. I like the double DIN screen. Like even more integrated.

I am upgrading my screen as we speak. I sold my manual fold out 7" touchscreen VGA Screen and am now waiting for my Motorized VGA Touchscreen from www.digitalww.com.

Here's a link to my CarPC Web Page.
http://home.nc.rr.com/smanders/evo/carpc.html

I have to admit, I love having the CarPC. Worth every penny...

smanders
Old May 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^i was thinking the same thing.
i want the motorized also.
let me know how you like it once installed.

Quick Reply: Evo Car PC, Need some Assistance in Chicago Area.