Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can you fix a bent floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you fix a bent floorboard?

Alright, so I had a flat repaired at Les Schwab on Imbrie Drive in Hillsboro, Oregon and the first thing I saw them do was lift my car up on a lift right on the bodywork (one of those square ones that comes out of the floor). I came out and yelled at the tech to get some damn pieces of wood or something and he was like "yeah i know what's why i'm putting it back down". So I go inside, and next thing I know he has it lifted with a floor jack so I came back out again. I saw another tech walk by so I asked him if he could look under the car & make sure it's on the frame or the pinch welds since it didn't look right. The kid took a glance under there & said it was on the frame, so I'm like alright whatever hopefully they know how to jack up the car like that.

Well, when they were done the first thing I noticed was that it was missing the wheel weight. They assured me there was never a weight on there, and that sometimes they balance like that. I was like well whatever, I'll go drive it around and bring it back when I feel it's out of balance. So, I drove it around, it was out of balance, so I brought it back. They assured me there was never a wheel weight on there, so I looked closer and there was a scratch about 1/8 of the way around the wheel where the dismounting machine obviously caught the weight & dragged it around till it popped off.

Anyway, I was so pissed about that (they said they would pay to have my wheel fixed) that I forgot all about checking the floorpan till just now. When I did, I noticed the floorboard is pushed up where they jacked it up under the floorboard! And inside you can feel where it's pushed up.

Does anyone know if/how this can be repaired, and does anyone know how easy it would be to get them to pay for it?

This is the second time in as many times I've had my car serviced at Les Schwab that they have done damage to my car. The first time was a scratched rim, and this time another scratched rim and a pushed up floorboard. I never even go there except in emergencies to get my flats repaired since their prices are ridiculously high, and it seems whenever I do need their service they only put monkeys on the job.

I've NEVER had any problems AT ALL with America's Tires

Last edited by machron1; May 21, 2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old May 21, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
Alright, so I had a flat repaired at Les Schwab on Imbrie Drive in Hillsboro, Oregon and the first thing I saw them do was lift my car up on a lift right on the bodywork (one of those square ones that comes out of the floor). I came out and yelled at the tech to get some damn pieces of wood or something and he was like "yeah i know what's why i'm putting it back down". So I go inside, and next thing I know he has it lifted with a floor jack so I came back out again. I saw another tech walk by so I asked him if he could look under the car & make sure it's on the frame or the pinch welds since it didn't look right. The kid took a glance under there & said it was on the frame, so I'm like alright whatever hopefully they know how to jack up the car like that.

Well, when they were done the first thing I noticed was that it was missing the wheel weight. They assured me there was never a weight on there, and that sometimes they balance like that. I was like well whatever, I'll go drive it around and bring it back when I feel it's out of balance. So, I drove it around, it was out of balance, so I brought it back. They assured me there was never a wheel weight on there, so I looked closer and there was a scratch about 1/8 of the way around the wheel where the dismounting machine obviously caught the weight & dragged it around till it popped off.

Anyway, I was so pissed about that (they said they would pay to have my wheel fixed) that I forgot all about checking the floorpan till just now. When I did, I noticed the floorboard is pushed up where they jacked it up under the floorboard! And inside you can feel where it's pushed up.

Does anyone know if/how this can be repaired, and does anyone know how easy it would be to get them to pay for it?

This is the second time in as many times I've had my car serviced at Les Schwab that they have done damage to my car. The first time was a scratched rim, and this time another scratched rim and a pushed up floorboard. I never even go there except in emergencies to get my flats repaired since their prices are ridiculously high, and it seems whenever I do need their service they only put monkeys on the job.

Ame thing has happen to me and I freak out too, but don't worry, it's only cosmetic.
Open your door and stand on the door frame and with on heel bang the floor board back into place, careful! it's doesn't take too much.

Hope this helps.
Old May 21, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

You can take a 6 or 7 in. 2by4 put it on top off the dent and hit down.Try to
hit it down with a couple smacks so as not to damage the rug.If it is really
bad remove the seat and pull up the rug. Hit the wood with at least a 5 pound
hammer.
Old May 21, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

I did the same thing to my car the first time I jacked it up. My floor still is popped up behind the passenger seat. Im gonna try the wood and hammer thing.
Old May 21, 2005, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

should have learned after the first screw up..
Old May 21, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

I have fixed more trunk floors and floor boards with my trusty 5lbs sledge and
a block of wood than I care to remember. Make sure there is nothing under the
car that can damaged and watch your back swing.
Old May 22, 2005, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by machron1

I have had nothing but problems at that Les Schwab. When I had my eclipse they scratched the **** out of my rims. I won't go there ever again.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Definately pound it out with a hammer. Dead blow will be the best. if you can get someone to back you up from the bottom, even better. hit the high spots first and dont make a bend in the other direction. The metal has stretched and you dant want to put more stress by over pounding on it. I do aircraft sheetmetal for a living. Its an easy fix, just go easy at first, best to have a friend back it up on the bottom to give a more solid hit.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

First go pound the 'mechanic' with a hammer, then b!tch to the manager or higher.
Old May 22, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I used the heel of my foot and naged it a few minutes and its better, but not the same...
Old May 22, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I had a little mishap with a jack and popped up the floor in the drivers footwell about 3 inches. I had a body shop pound it out and tack weld the floor back to the frame rail. Cost around $120

Last edited by bullfrg; May 22, 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

"This is the second time in as many times I've had my car serviced at Les Schwab that they have done damage to my car. The first time was a scratched rim, and this time another scratched rim and a pushed up floorboard. I never even go there except in emergencies to get my flats repaired since their prices are ridiculously high, and it seems whenever I do need their service they only put monkeys on the job."

...note to self: do NOT take car to Les Swab....