Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

the most accurate type of dyno

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the most accurate type of dyno

i read an article someone wrote on a website talking about the differences between the different type of dynos. from what i understand is a dynojet dyno typical reads high compared to other dynos like the mustang dyno.

so i just wanna know since a lot of members and tuners have been on dynos. which dyno is the closest to stating ur cars true power. i know this aint an easy question. but ANY HELPFUL INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATE. did caps because i know someone gonna say something stupid or do a search. well the search sucks. so anyone wit helpful info on their experience or what they seen in person would be nice.

heres the link to the article about dynos. it might be a repost or already viewed by some of u. Dyno_load vs inertia_1
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

lol justin. lol. i would like to know this as well
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

From what I have come to learn is that dynos were never intended to be used for bragging rights. They are tools to extract more power out of a car regardless of the units/accruacy of measure. If you think that your car is faster than someone's, race them. Don't tell them what your car put down on X dyno.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

A Mustang Dyno is the closest thing to actual whp. A Dynojet Dyno adds 15-20% automatically to give you your bhp. People often confuse this number with whp. Here are some great writeups on the subject:
http://www.racersden.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7462
On http://www.germanmotorcars.com/Dyno_load%20vs%20inertia_1.htm it says:
DJHP already has a puff number added into their DJHP.
Lets say DJHP shows 200 hp and you add 15%, you get
230 hp crankshaft horsepower. In reality DJ has
already added in 15 or 20% to their 200 DJHP number.

Last edited by PoorBoys; Jul 31, 2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't forget a dyno dynamics dyno. Besides, the resolution on the Mustang dyno sheets leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PoorBoys
A Mustang Dyno is the closest thing to actual whp. A Dynojet Dyno adds 15-20% automatically to give you your bhp. People often confuse this number with whp. Here are some great writeups on the subject:
http://www.racersden.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7462
On http://www.germanmotorcars.com/Dyno_load%20vs%20inertia_1.htm it says:
That can't be right concerning the Dynojet showing BHP. Because many Evos show 230-240 stock on a Dynojet. That doesn't equate to BHP because the stock Evo makes 271 BHP.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

The only "accurate" way to know what power you are making at the engine (usually flywheel) is to use an engine dyno. Even that won't be completely "accurate" but should be close enough. Otherwise you have to get all the cars you want to compare on to the same dyno at the same and on the same or very similar days. As long as you use the same dyno everytime there shouldn't be a problem. I think with dynos it is like people said, they are only a guide and none of them are completely accurate.

Aston
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151207
Some of these questions were answered yesterday on this link.

There is a big difference between dyno's
Just like the article in the first post says.
Very informative piece.
I do not agree with the guide part though. It is essential to have a steady state tune for optimal ignition and fuel mapping. For us in the tuning community we need the best tools we can use. So IMHO Mustang and Dyno Dynamics dynos are the best.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
That can't be right concerning the Dynojet showing BHP. Because many Evos show 230-240 stock on a Dynojet. That doesn't equate to BHP because the stock Evo makes 271 BHP.
A stock evo makes about 215 on a Mustang.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

hard to really say which is the most accurate but i would rather to stay and get tuned to one dyno so you know the differences of each mod that you add.dont let other dyno numbers confuse you and just focus on your own since some guys when they post their results they either estimate it go from the crank
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

I think a better question would be of consistancy. The number the dyno spits out is just number, whether it be 200whp or 250whp. The important part of the equation, from a tuning stand point is the consistancy, and useablity the dyno has. If given the same conditions and equal power output, a good dyno will read the same every time, and the charts will overlay eachother. So what are the downfalls of each?

Dynojets: These dynos use large rollers in order to create their load. This means that if the same conditions are met, the chart may show up somewhat different, because of the harmonic noise of the dyno. This can make the dynocharts somewhat hard to read, when looking for knock. Also, the run can't be seen until it is finished.

Mustang Dynos: The biggest downfall of this dyno is the way it collects data. Mustang dynos collect 8 data points during the run, and then connect the dots. Obviously, this poses huge issues when looking for knock events and such.

Dyno Dynamics: The number. People looking for bragging rights need to go elsewhere. On the other hand, unlike the other two, it plots each individual point, and also draws the line in real time, in extremely high resolution. This is important when looking for knock events, or lean burn.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Mustang dyno.. there should be a warning however, prepare to have your ego shattered a when using.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Dynapack gets my vote. Highly accurate with real time torque readout.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info. i guess the best thing to is just use one type of dyno when tryin to find out ur power figures. is it best to stay away from a dynojet since they read high. we got a mustang dyno here in vegas now. thats seems to be getting pretty good approval from some of u guys.

what type of dyno does Tuning Techonolgy use
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

tuning technology uses a dynojet. Highly unusable for tuning.

Quick Reply: the most accurate type of dyno