Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got a Speeding Ticket on the I-90 E/B but i was NOT speeding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a Speeding Ticket on the I-90 E/B but i was NOT speeding

Okay. Drove the Evo for more than 2 years. First speeding ticket!

I was driving down the I-90 east bound near Canaan, NY by myself (no cars were around) and the cop was driving on the I-90 WEST bound. He was on a moving vehicle driving on the opposite side of the thruway. I was driving 70-75 mph at that time. My radar detector went off and I slowed to 69 mph. Speed limit is 65mph. That's a VERY VERY REASONABLE SPEED! The cop was driving at least I did not know he was doing to U-turn since I was not speeding. That **** (Not calling all cops a **** but that only specific cop) did make a U-turn. I passed down the toll booths and started driving. Out of no where, he pulled behind me and pulled me over. I am like WTF??? WTF did I do? Have a car better than a V8 crown vic???? He asked me for my license and registration. At that time, I really have no clue why he pulled me over. Was my car too low??? My Big wing??? My car's too yellow??? WTF???? He said I was speeding. Then I told him, how can you detect my speed? He replied "I was trained to detect your speed." Dumb@$$ didnt even understanbd my question. I asked him how not why. He gave me a ticket for 81 in a 65.

A cop is not supposed to run a radar check on his vehicle when it is moving. On the ticket, it says: DIrect Observation and speed checked by radar. You cannot use a radar gun on a moving vehicle!

What I think he did was when he was driving on the opposite side of the highway with his radar on. He was driving probably 80 mph or more and saw a speed of 161 on the radar reader. Then he subtracted his 80 from 161 and got my speed as 81 mph. YOU CANNOT DO THAT!!! Did he ever take freakin physics????? Now I gotta drive 5 hours to see his dickface and fight it.

You guys think I have a chance???
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Go fight that ticket in court and goodluck!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

dude im a cop and i will let you know that they do make radar that can detect oncoming vehicles speeds accurately while you are traveling in the opposite direction, and moving. unless he has some first generation radar he did no math he just read the number. sorry you got caught.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

or is that against NY state law for the cop to run radar while moving?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

You'll win. Just tell the judge or magistrate exactly what you wrote in here and all will be fine.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thadon84
dude im a cop and i will let you know that they do make radar that can detect oncoming vehicles speeds accurately while you are traveling in the opposite direction, and moving. unless he has some first generation radar he did no math he just read the number. sorry you got caught.
Really? I have never seen one of those. I have done so much research on these babies. He used a stalker dual radar gun. It's good to have a cop here on boards to help us around! to you
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
You'll win. Just tell the judge or magistrate exactly what you wrote in here and all will be fine.
everything here except **** and dumb@$$ or that V8 crown vic
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

You could always go in and say, yes you were speeding, but you were doing 69 in a 65 not 81 and that that officers radar gun should be checked and calibrated.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SP00LIN
not really, if you admit that you were doing 69 in a 65 you will pay. You just admitted that you were speeding. I got hit in washington state admited to doing 37 in a 35 and I had to cash out. I was written for 45, and got the fine cut in half.

YMMV,

Greg
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

not much of a chance since the court is usually in favorite of the pigs, but i would still try even the chance is slim.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TRDHarrier
Really? I have never seen one of those. I have done so much research on these babies. He used a stalker dual radar gun. It's good to have a cop here on boards to help us around! to you
anytime you need advice or questions feel free, bummer about that ticket though
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thadon84

He's right. Cops do have Radar detector to detect on the opposite direction. The only detector need the cop the be at a complete stop is the laser gun. Anyway first i would ask the cop the see the radar as soon as he pull me over and tell me that i was speeding. Second take it to court. Third, was there any vehicles passing by you ? "cause if there's vehicle passing by you how can you be speeding?? Well ****ing cops are targeting Imports anyway. You can have a honda with an exhaust and a ***cign 1968 camaro with all kind of **** loud as ****. Who do you think the cops going to pull over?? the honda of course. But i can only speak on my experience. I'm pretty lucky i serve 4 years in the Marines and most cops are ex marines or millitary. They are pretty cool if you know how to talk to them. You have to look at it this way , the Police Department survive on giving out tickets. Each cops have to meet surden quota each month. Well goodluck to you.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:48 PM

same thing happend to me, Im going northbound doing 77 in a 70 state trooper traveling going southbound (reminding you theres a 50 to 75ft. median) he slams on the brakes does the U turn pulls me over. did the drivers license ect....comes back with 105 in a 70. WTF........fighting it now as we speak..
Old Aug 7, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKWIDO
same thing happend to me, Im going northbound doing 77 in a 70 state trooper traveling going southbound (reminding you theres a 50 to 75ft. median) he slams on the brakes does the U turn pulls me over. did the drivers license ect....comes back with 105 in a 70. WTF........fighting it now as we speak..
man. let's see how we do. Good luck! I am doing a research now as we speak. Got a paper and 2 tests and I am researching this BS. If I knew he was going to pull me over, there WAS NO WAY he can even see my taillights. I wouldve pulled over next exit. SHIET!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck

Quick Reply: Got a Speeding Ticket on the I-90 E/B but i was NOT speeding