Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OBD II port simulator.......

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBD II port simulator.......

Ok, here is the question. How many people would be interested in a device which is designed to mimic the output of the OBD II port in your car so that it always reads "Pass". Now this box is only designed to be used to test your existing OBD II scanner just so you can make sure that it reads correctly, basically to calibrate your OBD II scan tool. It does however have a standard sized OBD II plug that fits just like your cars OBD II plug and runs off of a 12 volt power source. Just like "off road use only", this box should not be permanently mounted in your car to replicate an OBD II signal so that you may pass inspection. (I know that some of the guys running the AEM EMS and other stand alones would think about doing this if you live in an area where they just plug in to pass, but that would be illegal) Anyway, this is simply to judge if there would be an intrest in a device like this. It looks like it would be $30,000-$40,000 for the first production run, so we would need to see if there were any serious intrest. If you are a member in any other auto forum where you think there would be intrest them please put up a link coming back to here so that I may get an idea of how many would want it.

The price would probably be in the $300 range.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I would be interested.

I've thought about developing a similar device but rather than simply relaying a simple "pass" I was thinking of the device as more of a "protocol adapter". This adapter would allow you to monitor and log data collected by an AEM EMS using a standard and very common ODB-II scanner via an ODB-II interface.

Additionally the device I envisioned would be capable of downloading the EMS internal log data upon "key off" and would relay the log file via wireless ethernet to an FTP server. Once you've worked out the serial protocol for the EMS and ODB-II the rest would be fairly straigforward to implement in Java running on an device running an embedded JVM.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Does it not read the VIN # also ?? What do you do then ??
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what if they actually try to read some of the info on the car, like even something as simple as the air temperature..
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how would this device work? Would it run strictly off rpm and mimic all the other OBDII port outputs?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:44 PM

i would like to see if this works, but its not as easy as saying pass, it would also have to give a correct rpm output signal and have the correct computer monitors for the type of car
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

I would DEFINATELY be interested.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not know if it would be as in depth as what propellerhead envisions as it would have to be marketable to a large audience, not just the AEM guys. Sorry This is kind of a feeler, but I do have someone with the tecnical knowhow along with the required capitol (he has moorrre then enough capitol) to make it work. He is not a huge car guy, but he recognises a good idea when it hits him in the head, which is why he has plenty of capitol. I will get with him so that we might look in to it in detail. The only problem would be getting enough intrest to sink $30,000-$40,000 in to it. He did not make his money doing dumb or reckless things.....
Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

If it really works, he would have no problem selling it.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeycoates
I do not know if it would be as in depth as what propellerhead envisions as it would have to be marketable to a large audience, not just the AEM guys. Sorry This is kind of a feeler, but I do have someone with the tecnical knowhow along with the required capitol (he has moorrre then enough capitol) to make it work. He is not a huge car guy, but he recognises a good idea when it hits him in the head, which is why he has plenty of capitol. I will get with him so that we might look in to it in detail. The only problem would be getting enough intrest to sink $30,000-$40,000 in to it. He did not make his money doing dumb or reckless things.....
What is the the intent of this device? Is it to provide a "calibration" response from the ODB-II port for users of standalone ECUs? The AEM EMS is arguably has the largest share of this market. Or is the intent of this device to allow "calibration" for those suffering from nagging DTC codes such as the dreaded P0300 or P0136?

I'm not pooping on your idea at all. I thinking your vision and my vision address different needs but have some overlap in terms of ODB-II "calibration".
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joeycoates

If it works I'll sell the sh*t out of it

Chris