Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Electric/Remote Start Question

Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric/Remote Start Question

My friend had a honda automatic with electric start, I thought this would be cool to have when I get a new car (Probably an evo). I was wondering since his was automatic and automatic seems a lot safer to put one on, can you (or will anyone do it) put an electric/remote start on an Evo? (or manuals in general). I will probably get a turbo timer if I get an Evo since i hear that's a good thing to have to keep the turbo good or whatnot, so i'd have to turn off the car in neutral anyways for the turbo timer, turning the car on without me in the car shouldn't be a problem should it?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Also, I'd like to have my alarm(remote door unlock) on the same little controler as the remote start, is that an option? I went to a sound/auto place to get my alarm on my jeep (just alarm no door locks obviously) and they had a few different controllers, would that be something some aftermarket store could do?

Last edited by Stealth-Ghost; Oct 13, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I have a compustar alarm on my evo. It has a biult in turbo timer and does remote start. it has a 1.25mile radius two way remote that works great. This is a full function alarm it will control anything any other alarm will. (doors,windows,trunk,ect...)
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

most manuals can have remote start put on, you just have to disable the switch or whatever keeps it from starting without the clutch pedal down. i'm guessing it's teh same on the evo
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Wowa that's pretty tight, do you know how much it was?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ohio-evo
I have a compustar alarm on my evo. It has a biult in turbo timer and does remote start. it has a 1.25mile radius two way remote that works great. This is a full function alarm it will control anything any other alarm will. (doors,windows,trunk,ect...)
1.25 mile radius. WTF?????? where the hell did you buy that?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

I got mine a big pappa' in cincinnati. You can check out compustar web site for dealers near you. I am not sure what the installed price was. My buddy worked their and owed me a favor so I got a good deal
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

ah ok, I dunno about that long of a range, I don't want to be inside and hit it onaccident and have to go out to the parking lot to see if my car is on or off or if the doors are open lol, does that ever worry you or ?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

The remote is two way so it displays what the vehicle is doing at any given time. If it is unlocked you will know if it is running you will know. Here is a pic of the remote.

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

thats pretty cool
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

What model is it? That is sick!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

here is a link to their web site. Mine is the 2wssr looks like last years model this is the new one.

http://www.compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

yes u can put remote start but it will be very hard to find someone to do it if its the onlder versions of the remote start, ex. matrix 3.5. Why cuz if u forget put car in neutral and leave it in gear it will go over the ebrake and start raming, yes its true and it even killed someone. the family sued the place that installed it cuz they said they should of known so its an older one then u better know someone, its its new like this guys sat $hit then it probably has a feature where u cant shut down the car unless u put it in neutral. Gl and hope this helped.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

The range on the compustar in real environment is not even close to 1.25 radius. It is at best 2- 3 city blocks, mine can barley go 1.5 blocks. My older compustar worked alot farther but did not have all the features aka turbo timer, but I liked the passive arming of the old one. The new passive arming sucks close the door and the door locks the old one gave you 30sec.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 02:24 PM

WOW 1.25 mile range! I have the Clifford Matrix 3.5 and the range is only a quarter mile at best. No alarm companies around my area would install the remote start feature on a manual because of liability. The only way you will get that installed is if you know someone that would do it for you. I have a friend that used to install alarms and he hooked up the remote start on my car. I only use it on winter mornings to warm up the engine though.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

The compustar alarms for manuals must got through the process of pulling hand brake up, with the foot on the brake, open door, take key out, and close door. If you open the door anytime of the process the car will not auto start. You must follow this procedure or the car will not auto start. So I would be literally impossible to put the car in gear and have it in auto start mode, and if the door opens and someone puts the car in gear, auto start is disabled. You must repeat the procedure to get it back in the auto start mode. But this can be over ridden and put in automatic mode, which many authorized dealers will not do..