Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Apexi stand alone ECU

Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
New Apexi stand alone ECU

We have been trying to branch out and tune and use more and more software/engine management.

We were contacted by Apexi a few weeks ago and asked to be Pro Dealers. I was interested so the guys from Apexi came down last week with the Pro software and set us up.

The Power FC is a pretty cool piece. Complete stand alone computer. Take your ECU out and replace it with theirs. The computer comes with the Commander which is a hand held unit you can monitor the engine with (very similar to an AFC) and you can make changes to the fuel and ignition maps with.

The Pro software gives you more detail and the ability to tune the car much faster than using the Commander.

From looking at the ignition map in the Power FC I bet a stock EVO would gain power just putting this in over the stock computer.

You can turn the system into speed density and get rid of the MAF sensor with this also. This is the D-Jetro unit and that is what we used.

We installed the unit on our black EVO. The car has made a best of 530 whp on our AWD MD Dyno before. After tuning the car with this we were able to get the power up to 549 whp.

The big upside to this is the ease of use by the owner of the car. Some guys are "scared" of laptops or don't own them. The hand held controller, the commander is very easy to use.

The Power FC and Commander sells for $980 retail, that's cheap.

The D-Jetro unit for it, for converting to speed density, comes with a 3 bar map sensor, air temp sensor and harness. All plugs right in except the air temps which is spliced under the hood. This deletes the MAF sensor. This kit is an additional $270 retail, also cheap.

Down sides. No knock control in the unit. BUT, when the know count gets high the CEL flashes to warn you that it has exceeded their safe number of 60. I don't know what that translates to in AEM EMS numbers or the factory computer. Also, the unit uses the factory 02 sensor, this also allows for 02 feedback, which is nice. No wideband option. Other issue, which isn't a problem for most guys, is it only reads to 30 psi of boost. We are running more than that with the black car and what you end up doing is using the last load cells to tune the higher boost.

I am currently working with Apexi to try to set up some type of knock control, which could be a awhile and something that will probably happen sooner is the ability to run and view over 30 psi of boost.

Nice things are there are no additional injector drivers or ignition drivers needed. We put 1650 cc injectors in the car and it runs great right off the Power FC.

Just wanted to let you guys know about this new option for tuning.

Thanks for reading,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi David,

what does it have to do with a new direct fmic kit???
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Humm...this might be a cheaper alternative to the AEM EMS for me to consider!!!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blonde
Hi David,

Fuel
Management
It
Controls
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

see, i go by the more common acronym of

Front
Mount
Inter
Cooler

Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi David,

I corrected the thread title for him.

Keith
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

see, i go by the more common acronym of

Front
Mount
Inter
Cooler

mine is the new school v.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

under all seriousness...could you get a plug and play power FC for my Evo 7 GSR?
and it'd have to be the one that uses speed density;not sure which jetro version this is though.

if you can get it could you please pm me a price.

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Glad to see you are taking a serious look at the Power FC. I ran one for 2 years in my 2003 (MAF L-Jetro Version) and the unit is rock solid stable. I put it into a stock car and the additional torque is very noticable on the stock map. I have tested at the track as well, shaving a full half second off my quarter mile time (and I am a crappy driver ). The PFC is a great standalone unit for guys that don't want to have to pull out the laptop every week to fix something, but has the flexibility to get into 90% of what you need if you have the gumption to.

A great ECU, and I plan on running it on my 2005.

A note on the knock control: If I understand correctly, it is meant to be an off road ECU (duh), but from the factory it is set up wanting higher octane japanese gas. I had to pull 5 degrees of timing across the entire map to kill the knock on crappy AZ 91 **** gas. One 101 octane the thing runs like a dream and a half (a wet dream? ). I do believe you can pull timing based on air temp, but that is over my head

Stop by the PFC forum once in awhile, we would love to hear your comments and/or suggestions now that you are looking to tune them. I always hear stories about AEM performing unexpectedly (coilpacks, boost settings, etc)...but I never hear that stuff with PFC cars (and no I am not flame baiting, just making an observation).
Old Oct 17, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

i gotta ask which has more potential this or the AMS
Old Oct 17, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Dave... have you played with the HKS F-Con V-Pro? With the A/F Knock Amp tuning tool?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The D-Jetro unit for it, for converting to speed density, comes with a 3 bar map sensor, air temp sensor and harness. All plugs right in except the air temps which is spliced under the hood. This deletes the MAF sensor. This kit is an additional $270 retail, also cheap.
AFAIK, you don't need the air temp sensor & harness unless you've upgraded your intake from the factory air box.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

WOW.... dave I agree with KARASH.... we both have had the Power FC here for a while... I run the Djetro version that is all MAP... I love it... but I am glad that a serious tuner is looking into it...! Now send me my free turbo!.

CALEB
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

wow, interesting...I'll wait a few months for some other feedbacks before coming to a conclusion....
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djskyy
wow, interesting...I'll wait a few months for some other feedbacks before coming to a conclusion....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Apexi stand alone ECU