Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Locking yourself out of your car.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking yourself out of your car.

This has happened a couple times and I wish Mitsubishi fixed it, but when the car is running and you acidentally hit lock I will be locked out and I will have to get another set of keys and put a key in the door because the remote wont work with key in running. My Toyota Tacoma will resist locking while the keys are in it regardless if its running or off as long as the keys in the ignition it will not lock.

I lock myself out when I'm starting it in the morning to heat it up.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

lock "yourself" outta your evo, and blame it on the car...lol
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I start my car in the AM with my extra set, because I have my house keys on my #1 set. If they're in the car running it, I can't lock my house... It took me several times to get in the habit...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:24 PM

I've been worried about doing this, but I have a remote start and so I can warm it up without problems. The problem is, my remote start has my spare key wired into it, so if I ever DO lock myself out, I'm totally screwed. Also, my turbo timer keeps the car running and I can't arm the alarm while the turbo timer is still running. Really a pain. I always have to wait a minute or so for the turbo timer to shut down before I can arm the (viper) alarm. So if you find a solution, let me know....I might be able to use it as well.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Does the car lock when you turn it on? like my moms hylander does that. My question is, when do you lock the car? You have to have the door open to lock it and be able to leave then shut the door right?

I locked myself out of my car at school once, whenever I get out of my wrangler I hit my door lock to lock it(no power locks or remote lock or anything, so i manually do it just everytime because of habit), well I did that, got out and turned around to grab my backpack, couldn't quite reach so i set down my keys, then I put on my packpack and my door slowly shut just enought to grab. I was so pissed lol.

(Solution for me at least), when I get my evo i'm going to get a turbo timer + a remote start, so that would solve your problem if you did that, just hit the start from inside your warm house, wait a bit and go out and drive!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
I've been worried about doing this, but I have a remote start and so I can warm it up without problems. The problem is, my remote start has my spare key wired into it, so if I ever DO lock myself out, I'm totally screwed. Also, my turbo timer keeps the car running and I can't arm the alarm while the turbo timer is still running. Really a pain. I always have to wait a minute or so for the turbo timer to shut down before I can arm the (viper) alarm. So if you find a solution, let me know....I might be able to use it as well.
i have the same exact problem (viper as well) and have done countless searches on how to wire it differently and have come up with nothing. if you actually find something on that pm me and i will do the same, it drives me nuts!

question though? if you hold down the lock button for about five seconds does it arm?but then when the timer shuts off it unlocks the doors and sets off the alarm because that is what mine does.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, although I have never done that (knock on wood), I have thought about that happening. Many cars will not lock when your car is running while the door is open. So when you are inside your car and you open the door, then try to lock it, it immediately unlocks it. Too bad the evo doesn't do that.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I locked my keys in the car while it was running, thank god I had a spare.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

this reminds me of a funny story...

the old shop i used to work at, we had a nice TRD widebody show Supra with some 19in RH wheels, HKS goodies, TRD goodies etc..well anyways, we were trying to fix an ignition problem and the door accidently closes on its own with the key in the igintion and locks! wont unlock by itself or anything. it was nearly time for everyone to get off and everyone wants to go home after a 10hr shift on a weekend, 1 of the employees suggested to the boss that we break the window cuz he couldnt find the spare key. So what we did was..get a jack, lift the rear of the car up by placing a floorjack on the rear diff and dragging and pushing it with 4 people into our garage. It was the worse lockout i ever experienced. heavy a$$ car!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by static63
i have the same exact problem (viper as well) and have done countless searches on how to wire it differently and have come up with nothing. if you actually find something on that pm me and i will do the same, it drives me nuts!

question though? if you hold down the lock button for about five seconds does it arm?but then when the timer shuts off it unlocks the doors and sets off the alarm because that is what mine does.
i have seen posts somewhere talking about something like this, and some guys came up with a way to wire a relay to get around this i think. i dont remember the exact situation now, but i think it might be fixable.

Oh, lookey there, found it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...er+alarm+relay
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by slickevo18
lock "yourself" outta your evo, and blame it on the car...lol
+1 dumbasses!!!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

im not 2 sure if i understand this... the car is running..the remote is with the key...if u accidently hit lock..arent u in the car?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

doesnt the viper 791 have a built in turbo timer???
Old Dec 12, 2005, 07:59 PM

Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:08 PM

Here is my answer but I am paranoid of locking my keys in my car. I just crack the door slightly so the lock doesn't engage that way no matter what I hit it won't lock. The cabin is sealed if it is raining or you are clearing snow off of the car.

Quick Reply: Locking yourself out of your car.