Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blow off valve help........ Car running weird

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have it venting into atmosphere, or back into the intake? if you use a mass air sensor, venting into the atmosphere will make it run rich when it does, sometimes flooding the engine. it sounds like that hole you plugged was in the intake, where the old valve would vent to.

you see the MAS counts a certain amount of air, so it feeds a certain amount of fuel... when some of that air escapes, all of a sudden you're running too rich.. make it vent back into the intake and you should be ok... if you already have it doing so, then i have no clue.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

im not sure, i have no experience with that valve, but most bov's that dont vent into the intake already will have some kind of adapter to vent back into the intake. check with turboxs, its your best bet.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:00 PM

If your TurboXS BOV is anything like the one I have, it can't vent back to intake. I didn't have any problems with mine when I had it in, except unwanted attention, which is why I took it out.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Blow off valve help........ Car running weird

Originally posted by EVO8
Just installed a turboxs blow off valve. When im going slow and put in the clutch, for example like going over a speed bump the rpms drop to almost zero, the car sometimes stalles completly or recovers. Does the valve need adjustment..... To install it i took off the stock one, then pluged one hole with the plug given. Then it just slipped on, and then i connected the hose up.... Its working and blwing off fine. Just the car seems to be ideling funny and often stalls at low rpm...

What should i do......
Is the car running rich...
What car did you install the BOV on?

Speedlimit.......
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOU GUYS NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU START THROWING PARTS ON THE CAR.......LIKE A TURBOXS BOV THAT DOESN'T VENT BACK INTO THE INTAKE. THE MASS HAS TO SEE THE AIR THAT IS BLOWING OFF UNLESS YOU HAVE A AFTERMARKET ECU.

Ask around before you buy. Get others opinions on what they run. Ask the tuner what they use.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by EVO8
its ibn my new evo8
I am not familiar with that BOV valve, but re-read thwack's post and follow his advice. Have fun!

speedlimit........
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:29 PM

Just run a hose from the BOV to the hole you plugged. The air should go back to the intake to prevent it from stalling (running rich).
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:40 PM
Account Disabled

so if you put a twin chamber blow off valve you can eliminate that problem
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

whats a twin chamber BOV do? differently than a regular BOV I mean?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:58 PM
Account Disabled

i believe it work like it has two chambers in the blow off valve. wich one chamber releases air in to the atmospher wich gives you tha swooch sound, and the other chamber keeps the air pressure constant in the intake system
Old Mar 24, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

its as simple as this, your car expects that air to shoot back into the motor so it matches it with fuel, too much fuel, as in the case where all the air escapes, and your car wont run, simplest fix, get the greddy blow off valve, or get bigger pedals so you can feather the gas after you 'blow off'... i did that for a year with the hks bov because it was so loud it would scare people, but i ran the greddy after that and it was still loud and sharp and sexy so i kept it and got better gas mileage too, not to mention car ran better between shifts....... good luck, dan --the 95-99eclipse talon greddy type s bov kit fits right into the evo location, itll take like 2 mintues to install........ ;-0

Quick Reply: Blow off valve help........ Car running weird