Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Void from driving to hard?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Void from driving to hard?

so i just got back from the dealer with my 2006 evo ix because my 5th gear grinds. the service advisor is telling me not to worry about it, but here's what he said " the tires look like the car has been driven past normal driving circumstances, but i dont blame you if i had an evo i would do that too, so its up to the district advisor to look at the tranny once we drop it down to see if we will warrenty it" and i asked him buddy/buddy what he thinks will happen and he said not to worry about it. so i asked him why they think i drive the car hard. and he said because my tires are worn 50% with 6000 miles on them. and i said that the tires tend to last about 8-10k and on the path i'm on they are doing very well. he didn't say anything. so now i'm worried that the guy who has to come in is going to be in a bad mood and void it. any thoughts, and if they do void it how can i protest?

thanks in advance
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pure garbage i have never heard of a dealer looking at your tires to determine if it has been driven hard Dammit its an evo!! those stupid @#@#s. so yeah They better fix your 5 gear grind prob under warranty.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

the part that scares me is the service advisor seems so cool (he has a 99 gsx) that i feel he might just be putting on a show, because ultimatly its not his decision... i didn';t get technical with him, or tell him my mods (took most off) or how i have taken it to a track, because thats the first thing he asked me...now i have to wait til the 20th which is going to drive me nuts before they can get it back in the shop again
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

ditto. thats rediculous. the tires have a very very short life span. they should know that. plus the wear rating on them is like what? 170? 180? something tiny like that.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LimPShoT
pure garbage i have never heard of a dealer looking at your tires to determine if it has been driven hard Dammit its an evo!! those stupid @#@#s. so yeah They better fix your 5 gear grind prob under warranty.

it does sound a little outrageous.....but idk
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have heard of Mitsu service departments that have been instructed to gauge abuse by tire condition. My service manager comments on the appearence of my tires (20,800 Miles as of November when the Evo got put away for winter) almost every oil change. Let this be a lesson to you autoX'ers out there, have a spare set of rims/tires for service appointments or possibly get slapped with a warranty void due to "abuse."
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Does he know what mods you've done to the car? I dont thing the tire thing would hold up.. but if it didn't next thing they are going to blame (if they do) will be the mods.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
... i asked him why they think i drive the car hard. and he said because my tires are worn 50% with 6000 miles on them.
That's appropriate wear on those tires. You're right. The service guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

--Dan
Mach V
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

well they said irregular tire wear my fronts where 3mm and my rear was 5mm....i do slide the back end from time to time, few launch's( but i dotn spin the tires so ya can't really tell) and i haven't launched in over 2 weeks so even if there was some proof there it would be gone.....he also said that they will look at the rest of my gears to see if it looks like it has been abused..i changed the tranny fluid about 2k miles ago so there shouldn;t be any shavings or anything to prove harsh driving...
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justchil
Does he know what mods you've done to the car? I dont thing the tire thing would hold up.. but if it didn't next thing they are going to blame (if they do) will be the mods.

i have the downpipe, testpipe/cut out...and i called the guy before hand to ask him if i should switch with stock be4 some1 saw it and he said no problem the exhaust has nothing to do with the tranny and any1 that tells you that is a fool and shouldn't touch your car....i think if it was inhouse repair they would be great, but its not his decision....fuuuuuuuuuuck!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:15 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I think your screwed.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:17 AM

Man these kind of posts scare me about getting into a Evo. So they are checking tire wear now for warranty voiding. Jeeze, what's next. If I get a evo I plan on buying a spare set of rims and tires right away for daily driving and use the advances and stockers for autoxing.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

The tire wear issue wont hold up man. I mean maybe if they were completely bald with the belts showing.

If it was true would they also look at your clutch pedal for unsual wear on the plastic?

Good luck man.. Hopefully they take care of it for u. I'm just now getting the 5th gear grind in my 03 @ 50k miles

I would consider taking the short shifter off.. At least then if they say something about mods.. nothing would be directly related to the drivetrain (other than the extra power).

Last edited by justchil; Mar 1, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoEmpire06
Man these kind of posts scare me about getting into a Evo. So they are checking tire wear now for warranty voiding. Jeeze, what's next. If I get a evo I plan on buying a spare set of rims and tires right away for daily driving and use the advances and stockers for autoxing.
Scared me too when I first heard it from my dealer. Remember in Mitsu land you are guilty until proven innocent. Sometimes I wish the S2000 wasnt so cramped with the top up.....
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

The factory will not refuse to warranty anything unless the mod directly caused the failure. Your warranty booklet that came with the car and is very specific providing protection to both you and the factory.

Quick Reply: Void from driving to hard?