Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would cause a 2003 Lancer Evolution to "Shake" while driving.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the main reasons I traded in my VERY fast 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII is because it had developed a progressive case of tourettes. T first it started out as a mild thumping, like on wheel was mildly thumping the pavement as I drove. Almost like I had a bent wheel. After experimenting with three different sets of wheels and tires and having the same issue I had determined it was part of the drivetrain. Soon it got worse but ONLY at speed, at 45MPH or lower it wasn't detectable as so much as a slight vibration that could have been from the Coilovers.

At 65-75 the car shook violently, if I looked at my hands it looked as if I was holding a paint can shaker. It also felt like one wheel was HORRIBLY off balance and that ONLY the front end was shaking. Strangely sometimes the front would smooth out and then the REAR would shake definitively, this was rare but happened about 5% of them time. If I hit 80+++++ MPH the car would stop it's "ZONE" shaking but you would notice a slight vibration as the car would shake as one as opposed to a front end shake.

From all this there were NO drivetrain noises, my TC held like a champ and would take direct punishment to see if that was the issue. The only thing I could think of was the output shaft bearings on the Transfer Case were bad. Possibly the carrier bearings too, but on my 1995 2G DSM they went and didn't effect the car by shaking, just noisy.

They only other ailment my ride suffered from was when you turn the wheel all the way to the right (stationary) you would get a distinct scraping sound. This was NOT the Power steering pump maxing out at the end of the wheels turn, but almost sounded like an over tightening of a cable, it had nothing to do with wheels scraping, it did it on multiple wheel tests.

Anybody?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first guess would be that you need to have your wheels rebalanced, because that can cause slight vibrations at highway speeds but it shouldnt be anything violent. possiblely a shot strut.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShtrMcGavin
My first guess would be that you need to have your wheels rebalanced, because that can cause slight vibrations at highway speeds but it shouldnt be anything violent. possiblely a shot strut.

I replaced three sets of wheels, and even tried known and tested wheels from another Evo, all shook the same.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:29 PM

Sounds like your front end alignment was off a bit. I had a similar isssue with my Expedition. In town there was just a slight vibration but when it got on the highway the thing would shake like crazy.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Loose hub?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hub may be it. It wasn't the alignment.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can gaurantee you it was either the carrier bearings, or wheel bearings.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I thought. What does that run to fix? Either one? My Evo had 72K on it.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe the driveshaft balance weights came off?? it really could be alot of things
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:35 PM

Mine did that after I got it back from a Tranny Warrentee.

The service techs at Mitsubishi forgot to tighten the bolts from
my rear diff to my driveshaft.

Once I tightened the, everything was good.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the driveshaft front to back, as well as the carrier bearings. If you are hearing the noise from the front of the car as well as the rear, the driveshaft seems like the most likely suspect.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

okay, so you traded your 03 for an 06?? forget about the 03 and enjoy your MIVEC 06 already...sheesh...

it may have been your front axle going bad. from your description it sounds like a cv joint going bad. i just replaced one on my mother in laws honda van. same description as you-thumping at speed, steering wheel shake, goes away and comes back. replaced the pass side axle. all gone and happy motoring... took me all of 20min to replace on the van.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 08:54 PM

wheel balance ---- tire pressure --- allignment (specificly tow adj.) + thrust angle
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
okay, so you traded your 03 for an 06?? forget about the 03 and enjoy your MIVEC 06 already...sheesh...

it may have been your front axle going bad. from your description it sounds like a cv joint going bad. i just replaced one on my mother in laws honda van. same description as you-thumping at speed, steering wheel shake, goes away and comes back. replaced the pass side axle. all gone and happy motoring... took me all of 20min to replace on the van.

yea enjoy your 06 bro .. My shakes but my shocks are shot and rotors are warped and the worst alignment you could imagine