Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

safe psi on 93 octane??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safe psi on 93 octane??

my question is 22-23 psi to mucH? I run 93 octane only unless the gas station has closed which they close at 10 pm so sometimse i cant make it there to get gas. So if i do have to fill up with 91 i usualy just put like 5 bucks in till the next day i can get some 93. WOuld it be alright to set it to 22-23 psi if i dont jump on the throttle with the 91 oct in there? Thanks for the help

Matt
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

sounds about right.. bu like everyone says.. search!

i would do about 22 to just to be safe if ur only running flashes
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

cool thanks alot

Matt
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Pump gas limits you to how much boost you can run. I have an 03 TB Evo w/stock turbo, 9.8 hotside and w/my mods and a custom tune, i don't run anymore than 22PSI on a warm day. You can get away w/running 23PSI on 93 but that's pushing your turbo. 21PSI is safe, 22PSI is ok.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

It all depends on how you are tuned. 21-23 psi is the average on 93 octane. It depends on how much timing you run, knock count, intake temp and so on. I could run 24-25 psi safely if i really wanted to.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

u should be fine running 23psi with 93oct. I ran that for 2 years now.... its depends on the tune.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03redtype-s
my question is 22-23 psi to mucH? I run 93 octane only unless the gas station has closed which they close at 10 pm so sometimse i cant make it there to get gas. So if i do have to fill up with 91 i usualy just put like 5 bucks in till the next day i can get some 93. WOuld it be alright to set it to 22-23 psi if i dont jump on the throttle with the 91 oct in there? Thanks for the help

Matt
To know for certain you need to monitor knock somehow, logging would be one way.

Since you seem to be fairly cautious, here is one accepted school of thought:

Turning up the boost should be done in concert with doing something to lower the intake charge air. In otherwords, to simply turn up the boost is a hack's way of gaining power. Adding a higher octane (you're low on both grades at your altitude), a larger IC, upgraded fuel delivery system (Walbro helps a little on stock injectors), water/alky, etc are all ways of reducing your cylinder temps.

I didn't see anything in your mods about a cooler range of spark plugs. That's an easy first step to help gaurd against detonation - as to whether it will help with both kinds of knock, I forget at the moment. It looks to me like you could run an "8" range plug.

The manual recommends 98 oct (right ?) so you are starting out somewhere below the recommended octane but since you are a little higher than sea level, you're equivalent need is slightly less.
(However I'm not certain where they determined the fuel requirement, but it was likely at sea level.)

Altitude - affects - Air Pressure - affects - Cylinder Pressure - affects - Cylinder Temps - affects - your wallet if you get it wrong.

You also don't list a Wide Band in your mods, so if you are looking at running raised boost, that would be a consideration.

I said "all that" to make you think a little, now I'll tell you that I'm running 93 at 5280 ft and I'm ok at 23 psi, but that doesn't mean you will be. The guy from NJ in the above post is at a lower altitude than you, but to assume you'll be ok too without knowing more about the individual car (mod differences) seems risky to me - he might be right - but there also may be more factors to consider (does he have upgraded injectors, larger IC ? he has a larger turbo than you, so I don't think he is on stock injectors - just a guess- didn't do the math )

Check things out a bit more, True ,there is a certain amount of safety built into the stock set up, just don't be in the dark about how it will affect your car by changing things.

Good Luck