Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GEICO Raised My Insurance Rate 50% for Nothing!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigEd925
check out wawanessa, I have heard great things bout their insurance. Geico= worst insurance for evos.
Are you kidding? I have GEICO and I pay 69.00 a month on a EVO 9. It went down when I moved from TN to Texas. I am happy as all get out. As soon as I complete the online defensive drivers course Itll go down even more.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to check out Sate Farm and Progressive. I wish I could qualify for USAA – as my friend got me a quote and it was only $944 a year. Maybe I shouldn’t have assumed that GEICO had the lowest rates all these years – kind of like assuming that everything at Walmart is the lowest price.

Anyway it doesn’t exactly seem to be effecting all GEICO/Evo owners. I live in Hawaii (Oahu) and maybe that has something to do with it? Anyone else in Hawaii with an Evo and GEICO?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I have GEICO and havent noticed any increase (YET!). I'm 20 yrs. old and pay $3200 a year for the evo and my beater subi wagon. Not bad at all considering my age!

Last edited by RenoEvo; Nov 18, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:49 AM

I have geico for my evo and my s2k..
my rates haven't changed since i bought it..
650 / 6 months... full coverage.
26/m - nothing on the record for the last 5 years..
and that's in "steal my car please" san diego..

shop around..
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

All you guys with your $1000/year insurance rates... That makes me cry! =( I'm 33 and Unitrin Direct just sent me my renewal letter quoting me $3700 for the next year of insurance! I got in an accident the day after I got my Evo back in August. I got rear-ended and it cost $7200 to repair. I'm looking for a new carrier now, but the rates I have been quoted aren't making me feel any better.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand why everyone is bi***ing about there insurance rates. You drive an Evo, the premium is going to be more then other cars. Sell it if your going to keep whining.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
I don't understand why everyone is bi***ing about there insurance rates. You drive an Evo, the premium is going to be more then other cars. Sell it if your going to keep whining.
But the question is that the rate increased suddenly 50% for no apparent reason. Is that happening to everyone with GEICO or other insurers? Or is it just me, because of my zip code or something?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
what's your problem man? you're saying you'd be fine if you insurance company increased your insurance by 50%? Good to be you then
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evo3matt
lol if my insurance goes up any more its bye bye evo or liability/uninsured motorists only =x
Just remember that "liability" is the only thing that protects you from paying huge bills to someone else if you're ever at fault, and EVEN MORE IMPORTANT, "underinsured/uninsured" is the only thing that protects you if the other driver has no coverage and it's his/her fault. Make sure you have medical coverage on your policy, too. These coverages are inexpensive compared to the overall cost, and are the only ones that actually protect YOU. Your insurance company won't push them, of course, and so often you don't even know that they are available or what they're for. Don't regret not taking time to understand what you're buying and what for. It could cost you big time later, when you need it the most.

The claim that a rating increase is based on cost of repair should only affect collision and comprehensive, not liability or uninsured/underinsured premiums. I suspect that they raised the risk factor for all categories, not just cost of repair.

Last edited by CO_VR4; Nov 18, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I just switched from state farm to geico because state farm raised my insurance last month ast well. now I pay $1356 a year from geico. I am 30 with a good dricing record by the way......
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Apoartar
Thanks, I never heard of wawanessa but will check it out.
You've never heard of wawanessa because they don't advertise...hence their lower rates.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Apoartar
I’m 47 years old and I drive a 2004 Evo
Hell Yeah

Seriously, try State Farm they have done right by me!!! Another factor to consider is your age. My father in-laws insurance just went up he drives a 4dr Honda, and he is in your age bracket.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd

SCREW GEICO....15 minutes and we'll screw you 15% or more on your car insurance.
Lol , that made my day!!!! I have Geico too and they also raised my insurance from paying $306/month to $326/month and those 20 dollars add up for sure...thinking of switching to another insurance company ASAP!!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I just switched to GEICO here in Calif. in Oct. '06 and pay about $200/month for my EVO IX and wife's C240 Benz...I have a clean record(thank GOD!) while she has a few speeding tickets from her previous M3 days!!! Let's see what our renewal rates will look like in April '07...any significantly higher rate and we'll probably jet too.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm I'm 21 and I only pay 1200 every 6 months with a $250 deductible for comp/coli and rental car reinbursement. It might be because I go though USAA though and they only insure military.

Quick Reply: GEICO Raised My Insurance Rate 50% for Nothing!