Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is there any way someone could have stuffed halogen bulbs in my HID's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any way someone could have stuffed halogen bulbs in my HID's?

I bought my evo used a few weeks ago, and its an 05 with the SSL package. So, it should have HID's. Well, It has HID headlights, but it has normal halogen bulbs. If you look down by the headlight, you can see some shady-a** wiring job the guy before me did to make these bulbs work. And you can tell they are actual HID headlights b/c the bulb isnt in plain view when you look at the back of the headlight, like on the non-HID lights.

The headlights are pointed directly at the ground. The fog lights actually project more light than the headlights. So what I am wondering is if it is possible to wire in halogen bulbs and make them fit properly in the HID headlight. If it is possible then I will just take the headlights out and just aim them up, but if it going to be a complete waste of time b/c the bulbs arent seated right and they arent going to seat right, then I wont waste my time taking off the bumper to get to the bottom of the headlights (iirc that is what I have to do), and Ill just buy HID bulbs. ( I dont want to have to spend gobs of money on HID bulbs if I can aim these halogen bulbs to project light out and not down.)
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

take it back where you bought it from,dont deal with this let them deal with it ,an ssl evo has H.I.D sounds like someone took you H.I.Ds system.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

yea but like I said, its only the bulbs that are missing (from what I can tell). I bought it from a dealer who bought it at auction. So I doubt they would do anything about it.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

you should take the bulbs out and see what kinda bulbs they are. that will tell you if they are hid's or not
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Are the ballasts still in there?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Just turn the on and see if they charge up at all.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you play with the lil auto adjustment thing inside of the car, it's right below the dimmer and it has numbers from one to ten on it, I drove my evo for a month before I realized my hid's were as low as they'd go, so when I turned the lil dial, they mechanically raised up... I was like whoa cool... haha
Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ntwaddel
you should take the bulbs out and see what kinda bulbs they are. that will tell you if they are hid's or not
I dont really think I need to take the bulbs out to distinguish whether or not they are HIDs, its pretty simple to tell, like when you turn the lights on.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feautoevo
did you play with the lil auto adjustment thing inside of the car, it's right below the dimmer and it has numbers from one to ten on it, I drove my evo for a month before I realized my hid's were as low as they'd go, so when I turned the lil dial, they mechanically raised up... I was like whoa cool... haha
I know there is an adjuster in the car and yes I have used it. Its unfortunatley not that simple..

Does anyone know if a 9007 or whatever an evo halogen bulb number is whould plug in the same as a D2S HID bulb?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KUEvo
Are the ballasts still in there?
well iirc the ballasts and ignitors are internal, but they are obviously HID lights, there is no placde to put the bulb into and there is giant high voltage stickers all over the sides of the lights.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
have u tried using the interior switch to see if the lights adjust at all?