Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunroof Fuse???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Fuse???

Where is the sunroof fuse located on the 03's?? I have looked at the normal fuse panel inside and it tells me that it is slot #21 but there is no slot 21. It's says "upper" what does the upper mean? It's not located under the hood either.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blue By Ray
Old Nov 25, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any ideas?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:56 PM

I'm not sure where that exact fuse is but start by checking each fuse individually with a test light and the ignition on.

Last edited by theretardtim; Nov 25, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I have pulled EVERY fuse out...found 2 that were blown but still no luck with the sunroof. Thanks man.

Ray
Old Nov 25, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Fuse 21 is in an add on holder made of black plastic, lower left side of junction block, containing a 20 amp fuse.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help. Found out that there was no fuse there at all. I must have taken it out thinking it was a spare.

Here's a new problem though. I replaced it with a 25 fuse (that's all i had) and now the automatic open function doesn't work. And when I close it it closes and inch then stops. I have to close let go close let go close until it inches closed. Any ideas for this delema?

Thanks,
Ray
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

anyone else experience this?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by blue by ray
Thanks for the help. Found out that there was no fuse there at all. I must have taken it out thinking it was a spare.

Here's a new problem though. I replaced it with a 25 fuse (that's all i had) and now the automatic open function doesn't work. And when I close it it closes and inch then stops. I have to close let go close let go close until it inches closed. Any ideas for this delema?

Thanks,
Ray
I think it needs to be initialized but I don't know Mitsu's initialization procedure. When I prep Toyota's I hold the switch until its fully open and hold for another full second, then do the same closed. Give it a try, it might work.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

The sunroof has an ECU and there is another in the dash. The sunroof ECU checks with the dash ECU (the ETACS ECU) for whether the driver's door is closed and whether the ignition is on. So, if the two are not communicating that will cause problems. Also, there could be a problem with the switch, wiring or motor.

To check the communication stuff you need the dealer. They can plug in and check all the ECU's inside the car (there's four or five).
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

SWS = Simplified Wiring System

Lets say, seated in the driver's seat, you open the driver's side door. The headlights shut off immediately, the sun roof and windows after 30 seconds, and the dome light comes on. This is an example of several systems working together in a car.

The old way of making this happen involved a lot of wiring connecting all these systems. The SWS uses electronic controllers that scan the condition of various elements of the car and store this information. The system constantly strobes the condition of the system. That is how the sun roof knows to shut off after 30 seconds.

Evos are a canvas for modification. But, when you are in the cabin adding your latest whiz-bang there is always the search for a hot wire to power it up. If you connect to a wire hoping to obtain power and instead it is a communications wire you are going to have problems. If you connect to a hot wire that powers an ECU and then accidentally short the wire you may fry the ECU and have problems. The best advice is to stay away from any wiring associated with SWS.

When I needed power down by the console I connected to the lighter. The lighter is not part of the SWS.

Here is a list of things that are......
Ignition switch
Seat belts
Door locking system
Power windows
Keyless entry system
Sunroof
Windshield wipers and washers
Rear wiper and washer
Headlights
Turn signals
Hazard warning lights