Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1st Test Drive....VERY Impressive.

Old May 19, 2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Test Drive....VERY Impressive.

Ok. First off I had the best test drive ever! This was a demo car (1800 miles), so we were able to flog it pretty good. I got my first indication of what the car could do when the salesman starts rowing through the gears as we are going up this long curving onramp...he got it up to 100 and that thing was just glued to the road..amazing. He then proceeded to accelerate the car up to about 133mph! And let me say it got there rather quickly. Now it was my turn....
I had some preconcieved notions about the car before going in. I've been used to driving a 500hp TTZ basically engine/suspension mods.

#1 Power. I didn't feel that I would be that impressed with the 271hp, but I was. It makes great use of what it has. Excellent gearing and light weight combine to make the car seem like it has more power.
#2 Interior. Everywhere I read (magazines, not here) it said that the interior was not that great....Again I was impressed with the build quality and materials in the interior. The Recaros are to die for. The gauges were easy to read(unlike whats been said about them) and the overall "feel" of the car was top notch. The doors closed with a solid "feel" to them, not like some cheaper made cars.
#3 Ride. Again I was led to believe that the ride would be harsh and bumpy. Not so. It was firm, but nothing that any of us who've ever driven a vehicle with a modified suspension would call harsh.
#4 Looks. Since I only had magazine pictures and the internet to go on, I thought the car looked rather "small" on paper. And that it was not sporty looking enough. Nothing could be further from the truth. In person the car looks wider and "meaner" than in the pictures. The wing actually fits rather nicely on the car (I just turned 30 so this was a concern..lol).

On to the test drive.

The first thing I notice is how high the clutch engages. My Z car would engage its aftermarket clutch about 1" off the floor, so this caught me off guard. 1st gear is amazing. You punch it and there is no wheelspin, the car just takes off. This is my first experience driving an AWD car so you can imagine my grin I quickly discovered what many have said when I tried to "quick shift" from 1st to 2nd. DON'T do it. Shift smoothly and you will be better rewarded. With the salesman's incouragement I floored it in all gears all the way up to 5th...triple digits are no problem. I took a couple of on/off ramps at speed and was amazed. This car handles like a dream. And the brakes! I just can't describe them. They are incredible. After the test drive I just wanted to take it home with me. But..

Like many I am waiting till the STI comes out before making my final decision, but the Suby will have to blow the EVO out of the water in order for me to get it. And from what i've read it just doesn't. Since I'm in Miami and there are no curves in all of South Fla. I would like to see what the extra .5 displacement and torque can offer. That being said, I absolutely fell in love with the EVO. I told the salesman that if he got a white one w/sunroof any time soon to give me a call I don't think I can wait another 3-4 months (thats how long it will take to get an STI I would think) without driving this car.

laterz
Old May 19, 2003, 11:09 AM

well i wouldn't expect the STi to blow the EVO outta the water, however i do believe that if you test drive them both you will be torn even more. from what i have read the cars are both so much fun and are really about equal in performance. however if you are driving everyday in florida (i live in fort myers) the STi does have quite a bit more torque, course the EVO has enough of its own too. but i think you should really buy whatever you think is prettier. i really like the EVO but i think an extra 500 more dollars is worth an active center diff, front limited slip, and six speed .
again don't flame me, not saying that those things make it a better performer but i just like the extra goodies!

anyway buy whatever one you think is prettier. i didn't like the EVO till i saw it in person, and i can't wait to see the STi, one day i'll trade the wrx in on one of them but for now, i'll just keep driving the 7

harrison
Old May 19, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Your lucky to have gotten a test drive.. Where I live, the dealer only lets serious buyers test drive it.. and they are very strict about it..