Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

octane boost additive

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2003, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane boost additive

Since the EVO requires 93 octane to run optimally, I want to ask people's advice on using octane boost additive to increase octane rating for the 91 octane that I am limited to here in California. Is it bad for the engine? Does it work? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:43 AM

Tutorial: Search 101

1) Type keywords of desired topic in search box.
2) Press search button.
3) Peruse results.
4) If pleased, continue reading. If not pleased, wait 15 seconds and then search again using differnt keywords than before.

Now that I'm done ranting, I will undermine everything I've just said by posting links to pertient threads.

Octane
91 Octane

EDIT: Sorry to be so harsh, but you'll find people are a lot more forgiving/helpful if you'll search (hard) before asking questions.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Just say no to octane boosters.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Jebus
Tutorial: Search 101

1) Type keywords of desired topic in search box.
2) Press search button.
3) Peruse results.
4) If pleased, continue reading. If not pleased, wait 15 seconds and then search again using differnt keywords than before.

Now that I'm done ranting, I will undermine everything I've just said by posting links to pertient threads.

Octane
91 Octane

EDIT: Sorry to be so harsh, but you'll find people are a lot more forgiving/helpful if you'll search (hard) before asking questions.
Thank you for your thoughtful post, but FYI, I have done a search before and have already read your linked threads before. None of them answers my original question directly about using additives. I have asked this question before in one of those threads and someone did answer back about off the shelf additives making the engine lose power. So I decided it wa s a good idea to start a new thread about this topic.

I really do not wish to be as harsh to you as you were to me since I am the one asking questions and I have no wish to make enemies here. If you can provide a link to a particular thread that answers my exact question directly, then I owe you an apology. But I have searched and failed, so I guess that makes me stupid. Sorry.
Old May 19, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Just say no to people who rant about people not using the search function. They waste a hell of a lot more forum space than the orinigal questions . They also realize that they don't have to read the post if they don't want and are probably just posting 'use the search function' to up their post count.
Old May 19, 2003, 01:10 AM

I added the apology because I didn't want you to think it was personal or that I was tyring to attack you. We all have questions, and a lot can be answered on this board. I ran a search for 'additives' and came up with 33 threads. It seems logical to me that if your answer isn't in one of those 33 threads then the odds are that no one knows it. I ranted about searching because it seems like no one does it anymore (hence the multiple multiple threads on topics). Also, though my 'tutorial' was limited to searching on this site, people ought to consider searching for things on the internet as well. Just my opinion though.

Here are some more links, it seems these might be more related.

Link 1
Link 2

EDIT:
Liandrin11: It's not as much an issue of wasting forum space as it is that people like Claudius aren't here to answer everyone's questions over and over again. The forums are designed to be like encyclopedia's; information is stored and searched for. While your comment about post count might be true, in my case it isn't. I could give a rat's ssa that my name says 'Newbie' underneath it. That's why I edit posts rather than post new ones.

All this crap aside, like I said originally. I wasn't trying to be a huge *** (even if I came across that way). Sorry if I did.

Last edited by Jebus; May 19, 2003 at 01:14 AM.
Old May 19, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Jebus
I added the apology because I didn't want you to think it was personal or that I was tyring to attack you. We all have questions, and a lot can be answered on this board. I ran a search for 'additives' and came up with 33 threads. It seems logical to me that if your answer isn't in one of those 33 threads then the odds are that no one knows it. I ranted about searching because it seems like no one does it anymore (hence the multiple multiple threads on topics). Also, though my 'tutorial' was limited to searching on this site, people ought to consider searching for things on the internet as well. Just my opinion though.

Here are some more links, it seems these might be more related.

Link 1
Link 2

EDIT:
Liandrin11: It's not as much an issue of wasting forum space as it is that people like Claudius aren't here to answer everyone's questions over and over again. The forums are designed to be like encyclopedia's; information is stored and searched for. While your comment about post count might be true, in my case it isn't. I could give a rat's ssa that my name says 'Newbie' underneath it. That's why I edit posts rather than post new ones.

All this crap aside, like I said originally. I wasn't trying to be a huge *** (even if I came across that way). Sorry if I did.
Thanks Jebus, now that's some good info. Somehow my search for "additive" did not show these two helpful threads. Thanks again.
Old May 19, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Octane boosters suck waste of money if you have 91 octane the booster will give you 91.3 octane find a 76 station or go to your nearest race track chances are there is a station near it that sells unleaded race fuel and do a mix. In your case you probably want to go 10 to 4 ratio to get about 94 octane. Your looking at about $40-$45 dollar fillups.