Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warm up / Warm down routine?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm up / Warm down routine?

Does anyone here have a warm up routine for their car as well as a warm down routine that they parctice evryday?

I usually wait for the revs to drop a bit in the mornign before heading to work and, depending on how I drive, I let the engine idle for about a minute before shutting off.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

In the morning, I let it run for a few mins depending on the temp outside and warm down I have a turbo timer...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:25 PM

Argh..... turbo timer....... need to get that!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:27 PM

30 seconds to warm up...1 minute to cool down.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
im pretty weird on start up...well not really weird but i usually wait until the temp needle is halfway up.

cool down i wait a few seconds. most of the time im off boost. especially when looking for a parking space. no need to sit for a minute.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Drill_Sergeant
im pretty weird on start up...well not really weird but i usually wait until the temp needle is halfway up.

cool down i wait a few seconds. most of the time im off boost. especially when looking for a parking space. no need to sit for a minute.
No need to wait for it to warm up that long either. I wait for the needle to budge off the bottom and then drive lightly for the next ten minutes or so. Try to keep it below 3-3.5k and out of boost.

It's somewhere in the owners manual I believe....
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

cool down time depends on how you drove the car for the last few minutes before shutting off the engine. If you prety much stayed out of boost then none is needed, but if u boosted like a maniac then you probably need to cool for 5 mins or so.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I let it sit until my revs drop a little then I stay off boost as much as possible until the car is warmed up

my tt is set for 50 seconds to cool down
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It says it in the manual guys. Don't drive until the temp needle moves a bit, I wait until it goes above the cold line. And like other said, if off boost I usually sit for a minute or so, but if boosting alot right before then I let it sit for like 5 or so cycles of the fan....a few minutes. But usually I am covering up all the seats and stuff to protect them anyway from the sun and I just turn the car off after.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:38 PM

I don't let the car warm up for more than ~20 seconds before I take off. I drive gently for about the first 5 minutes. And I don't cool off too long either if I drive normally, maybe ~10 secs. You know, the car idling is rougher for your engine than if you drive it easy and let the fluids circulate. And on the cool off, you're only affecting the turbo and the oil circulation, which isn't a huge deal since we have water cooled turbos... and it seems like half the people upgrade turbos before the stocker ever comes close to seizing.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

i wait until my oil press hits about 50psi (1/4 temp gauge) and i let the turbo timer run for about 30sec for easy driving, 2mins for "spirited" runs.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

I let the needle rise a little then im off. keep revs below 4grand. Cool off. I do have a turbo timer but dont use it. Reason? I dont really need it and I never run the car hard then shut it off. If I run hard I take it easy for a mile or 2 before getting home.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

The owners manual is very specific regarding warm up...

"The engine is warmed up enough for driving when the coolant temperature gauge indicator starts to move."
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

warmup usually at least until the needel starts to move, and then I drive it slowly until the rest of the car warms up ~5-10 minutes.

cooldown, if no boost for the last 5-10 minutes then I shut it off, if boosted then at least 5min. also after the longer trip I leave it for like 2-3 min. as well.

During autoX events I set my timer to max which is 10min, but if it is really hot I might give some more
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:50 PM

well my car is heavily modded and doesnot like cold or cold starts so i usally let it set for a minute or two
and then for cool down i have a greddy turbo timer

Quick Reply: Warm up / Warm down routine?