Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I fiiled my gas tank to 14.8 gallons of gas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fiiled my gas tank to 14.8 gallons of gas

A couple of hours ago my fuel tank was on E. I went to fill it up and the pump kept on clicking off so I just filled it up slowly. It was real cold out in the teens, I just pumping and pumping and did not notice it usually the gas would come up splash up a little but it never did. When I looked it was like 14.8 gallons!! I stopped and pulled out the pump and it all of a sudden started to bog and then stalled. How is that possible? So I started the car and drove off, it was kind of bogging and it stalled on me again about 2 blocks away. Started the car again and kinded of ran it a little hard and it kind of felt funny. Drove couple of blocks and the car was ok no bogging no stalling. Parked the car went to see some friends play texas hold'em for about an hour. Came back and the car started right up ran perfect. Now I thought our gas tanks were like 13.xx gallons, I have filled it up to like 13.5 gallons before and it was coming out. This time it showed 14.8 and it was still able to put more. Where the hell did all the gas go? Why did my car stall and bogged for a little bit? No Check Engine light either. This is really buggin me. Is something wrong with my car?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:43 PM
Account Disabled

wierd???
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been told to never "overfill" the gas tank. A driving instructor told me once if I top off only to do it once after the initial click. The reason he said was because the "fuel system was designed to function with air at the top of the fuel tank."

I'm no engineer so I'm not sure as to why. But it makes sense in your case. I would say just drive it. If it was anything major then you'd definitely see further evidence. Keep an eye on her--make sure nothing's leaking...etc.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think you should question the car, but more like the gas station. Some station are known to cheat the customer on the gas.

What I'm saying is that, the meter can show that you pumped 14.8 gal, but it might be that you pumped 13 gal.

But about the car problem, I have no idea.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds as if you pretty much ran the car out of gas and got air in the lines.....hence the bogging/sputtering. Only problem is it would take a matter of seconds to rid the lines of air
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty sure the volume of a gallon of gas fluctuates with temp. Since you said it was very cold this seems to support this. The gallon you read on the pump occupied less volume in your very empty fuel tank than it does at 90F. I know the volume of gas change with temp and I know gas pumps don't compensate for this which would explain 14.8 gallons. I imagine someone with a better understanding of this can either clarify or tell me I'm wrong. I'm just a dabbler... with a six-pack in his belly.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

you don't say where you live but complain to your local department of weights and measures. sounds like you were getting scummed. hopefully that was premium.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds to me the gas station is robing you
theres no way you can put 15 gallon in the car
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

yes it happened to me.. in my car i put 16.8 gallons. I went to the right authorities and they came right over and checked on it. Did a "gallon test" bascly put a gallon of gas in a bucket type of thing and see if it comes to its correct measurment.. it was way off.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:16 AM

I smell gas station rip-off
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure about the Evo, but I know some cars if you're in the E and you keep driving...and if you notice...the meter goes back up a little bit, and the reserve tank kicks in. This happend to my civic...I was low on gas, but the gas station was kinda far, so I kept driving, and the meter went all the way down, then it went up a few notches...and when I got to the gas station...it showed more gallons than I usually put in when it got to E.

Maybe thats the problem? I'm not 100% sure, but just giving an idea.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

yea your defintley not posed to overfill the gas tank you need air like 10% i think... above the gas for vapors if you go past it your car will run pooopy and your charcol canister may have gas in it.....
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:04 PM

You're not supposed to top it off, all that extra gas gets sucked up in the charcoal canister, it'll make the car run too rich etc..., and crappy peformance too most likely anyway. And later on the engine light will come on.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:07 PM

very stange
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRedition
I'm not sure about the Evo, but I know some cars if you're in the E and you keep driving...and if you notice...the meter goes back up a little bit, and the reserve tank kicks in. This happend to my civic...I was low on gas, but the gas station was kinda far, so I kept driving, and the meter went all the way down, then it went up a few notches...and when I got to the gas station...it showed more gallons than I usually put in when it got to E.

Maybe thats the problem? I'm not 100% sure, but just giving an idea.
Now i have heard everything Honda's are already race cars now they even have reserve gas tanks that automatically switches over

Quick Reply: I fiiled my gas tank to 14.8 gallons of gas