Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine Ticking, Not Lifters

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Ticking, Not Lifters

so.. i got the infamous 4G63 ticking sound a couple of months ago, or at least i think i got it. i let a couple of mechanics check the car and both told me my lifters need changing, so.. i ordered a set of uprated lifters.. installed them, and the tick is still there! i know its not serious since ive been driving the car normally for the past 2 month with no issues at all.. just slight power loss around 3K RPM which could be caused by phantom knock

What could it possibly be?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know but there is a "rattle" coming from the valvetrain on my car that subsides above ~3K rpm, but anywhere below this, there is the rattle and the frequency of the rattle directly corresponds to engine rpm, and listening under the hood points directly to something in the valvetrain.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How loud is the ticking? Could it be the fuel injectors? Buy a mechanics stethoscope and listen around. It could be a spun bearing (not good).
Old Jul 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor

What clutch are you running? I changed out my lifters and still had the ticking/rattling noise. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. One day I was sitting in traffic and noticed everytime I pushed in my clutch pedal, the noise went away. I'm running the act street disc with only about 4000 miles on it.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

might be bad gas too
Old Jul 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my engine has ticked from day one...
is it normal?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:35 PM

Alot of the "ticking" you guys are hearing from the engine bay is most likely the injectors opening and closing. They are pretty noisy on our cars.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:07 AM

I heard boost solenoid does that
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by jd323
Alot of the "ticking" you guys are hearing from the engine bay is most likely the injectors opening and closing. They are pretty noisy on our cars.
its not the injectors, the ticking started 2 months ago!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
How loud is the ticking? Could it be the fuel injectors? Buy a mechanics stethoscope and listen around. It could be a spun bearing (not good).
cant be.. a spun bearing wont last 2 months of driving!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by machron1
I don't know but there is a "rattle" coming from the valvetrain on my car that subsides above ~3K rpm, but anywhere below this, there is the rattle and the frequency of the rattle directly corresponds to engine rpm, and listening under the hood points directly to something in the valvetrain.
thats exactly how id describe my ticking as well, the ticks dont change.. its just the frequency correspondes directly to my RPM.

now if its something in the valvetrain, what could it be?? i changed all my lifters myself and took the rocker arms out and installed them once again, so.. take those out of the equation and im left with cams, valves, springs and retainers.. so, which one would "tick"??
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by machron1

My car makes a type of rattle noise as well... someone had suggested to me that it was a pulley... or a similar part that often went bad on the '03's......

I havent looked into it any further yet...... it seems to do it most ( or i can hear it the most ) when i am in neutral ..at a light or parked ......
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As sugested, get a scope and try to narrow it down to a specific area. The Timing Belt area will make noises as well, Tensioner, Idler or Belt it self.
The only noise I get around the Valve Train, are typical Lifter and Injectors, which are normal. You should hear Injectors on a Ford.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

hit it with a sledgehammer. should take care of your problem.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I am on 2 evo and both of them had ticking from day one

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking, Not Lifters