Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo was a victim of road rage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Evo was a victim of road rage

Yup, that's right. As my Evo sits right now in the garage it has a substantial dent in the rear driver's side door, and a smashed rear driver's side tail light. But the good news is the guy who did it is currently sitting in a jail cell too. So here's the story...

I'm coming home from work and getting off the freeway when an old Ford Explorer begins tail gating me, to the point that I can almost no longer see his headlights. As we pull off the highway onto a normal 4-lane road he continues tail gating me. Then, apparently frustrated that I'm not driving fast enough he pulls behind the person in the other lane. Well they're driving even slower than I was so he then pulled back in behind me. This continued until we arrived at a stop light.

As I came to a stop at the light he pulls into the left turn lane beside me. He then proceeds to get out of his car and walk up and yells at me to get out. I roll down the window and he yelled at me to 'get out so we can settle this'. I didn't get out so he proceeds to kick the side of the car. At this point I get out of the car. I look and see a nice foot sized dent in the side of my car.

He continues yelling at me, but at this point I just calmly walked to the back of his car and got his license plate. I then went and got back in my car. He got back in his car and began to drive away. I then pulled into a gas station at the corner and called the police.

A few minutes went by as I talked with the operator on the phone. As I'm talking with the operator I see the same brown Ford Explorer pulling back into the gas station. The same guy now gets back out of his car and is holding a tire iron. As I tell the operator on the phone she says to get back into my car and lock the doors. I do this as he walks up. I'm now sitting in the car and he's yelling, "Yeah, like that dent?". He then walks to the back of the car and smashes the tail light with the tire iron. Then he gets back in his car and pulls out of the gas station.

Shortly (like less than a minute), a police cruiser pulls up to me at the gas station. I hang up with the operator and relay my story to the cop, giving him the license number, a description of the vehicle and the guy. He radios this info and within a couple minutes he says his partner has him pulled over.

The cop asks me to follow him down the road to where they have the guy pulled over. I then identified him as he sat in the back of the police car and gave the officer a statement about what happened.

He briefly went and talked with the other officer and came back. He said the guy would be going to jail, and may be charged with felony assault and property damage. The officer also told me that the guy had had his very young child in the car the whole time.

There's actually a little part of me that feels bad sending the father of a young child to jail for something like this. But on the other hand, he obviously brought this on himself.

So I'll go and get an estimate tomorrow on the damage. I'm really not THAT upset about it because it's really just cosmetic damage to the car. But I guess I just share this story as a warning to watch out for the nuts out there guys.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

serves that ***** right , I hope he's someone gf in jail
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Holy crap, that's insane. I just can't understand ppl like that. No need to feel bad ... he got what he deserved, kid or no. IMNSHO, if you're that upset or have that much of a hairtrigger temper, then you shouldn't be driving on a public road.

Hope you get your car fixed asap.

l8r)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
idk about where you guys live, but here in SC - brandishing a tire iron and coming at someone will only get you SHOT.

Morons are everywhere. lol
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:04 PM
Account Disabled

damn what a freak'n nut. I would have been ****ting in my pants if he came up on me with a tire iron. And to think you did nothing wrong, it's not like you cut him off or something.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't feel bad at all. Hopefully the kid will be put in protective custody and away from someone as uncontrolably violent as that guy obviously is.

I'm just glad the guy didn't do anything REALLY stupid like smash out your window with the tire iron. I'm sure you would have put a couple of rounds in his center mass if he had, though.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't feel bad for him one bit. He had that coming. There is no excuse for that. If anything, the child is better off not learning to act like that
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

^ this is very tru. I know a whole lot of people in sc who ride around with what ever they need to cover themselfs at all times. For gods sake i keep a three d cell mag light in my door.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Good thing he didn't hit you. Glad you're ok and that guy just got himself into a world of trouble. Probably not his first offense since he sounds crazy as H3LL.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

you never know now a days who's around you. Next thing you know they might be a serial killer or something.... wow... well glad you OK bud... screw that guy because people like him need to be in jail....
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Did you do anything to **** him off? btw dont sit in the car next time. He could have smashed the window with the tire iron and you would have trouble defending yourself
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

exactly why i carry a tire iron under my seat
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

this is why i have a CHL
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn man.Glad your ok.I had something similar happen to me about 2 years ago.The guy got caught and convicted so it all worked out.
Evolving Member

exactly why when i turn 21 a 9mm will be going right under my seat.

I have the right to bear arms, and these situations only strengthen that right.

Quick Reply: My Evo was a victim of road rage