Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch Chatter - ACT Street Clutch

Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Chatter - ACT Street Clutch

Being the perfectionist that I am, I'm seeing if I might be able to eliminate my clutch chatter in any way.

I just installed my ACT Street clutch two weeks ago and I've only got about 1000 miles on her, probably less. Anyhow, when I'm in engaged in first gear around 1500 rpms, I notice a slight chatter coming from the drivers side wheel area. This is on and off and only happens a couple times a day for me.

Is there any way I can remove the chatter? And is this chatter going to hurt my engine in any sort of way? The vibration is pretty aparent, not huge, but it's there. I was thinkin it might be my crank pully causing this, but I highly doubt it considering I hadn't noticed this chatter before the clutch replacement.

By no means is this a huge concern for me, I know you'll get some chatter with a new clutch, especially an aftermarket one, but I like things being perfect and rattle free....

Thanx,

- Steve
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you use a new flywheel?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Flywheel was resurfaced. The ACT STreet Clutch is just a single plate
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
It'll get louder in time. Way louder wait untill the decel noise starts you'll think your car is coming apart
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

So gsrboi do you have the same clutch? ACT Street??? You experience the same things or what?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yea ACT HDSS. Love the clutch and have always used ACT products but the sucker is noisey though every EVO with an aftermarket clutch I have ever been in has a very noisey drivetrain
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I get a little bit of chatter with mine, but I just kinda ignore it. I'm not aware of any way to get rid of it.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm not sure you can get rid of it. I just don't want my engine to vibrate too much and cause some real big problems down the road.

Regardless, I can live with a little chatter every now and again.

Thanks for the info guys, it's been helpful.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same clutch with zero chatter. I thought chatter came from multi disc clutches? Could the resurfaced flywheel be an issue Chris since you asked? Either way pm ACTman he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited by dafoe69; Feb 7, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

you're right it could be the resurfaced flywheel...
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

No if anything that will reduce the noise. I have an aftermarket 10.5lb in my car
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dafoe69
I have the same clutch with zero chatter. I thought chatter came from multi disc clutches? Could the resurfaced flywheel be an issue Chris since you asked? Either way pm ACTman he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
HDSS should have no chatter really at all, could be a issue with the stock flywheel being resurfaced.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I do not see how the single plate ACT clutch chatters at all. There will be some throwout bearing noise on deceleration though.

I have no chatter with my ACT, quiet as the stock clutch.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Same here, but I did buy a new flywheel.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few different issues being discussed here and they have been covered numerous times on here.

You should not be getting chatter on a clutch with an organic disc like the HDSS which is much like the OE organic disc but beefier. In the remote case you do get chatter it would be because there was oil or grease contamination on the disc either from a leaking rear main seal (not likely) or an installer with greasy hands.
Chatter is common with the use of puck style discs, which the HDSS or XTSS kits aren't.

gsrboi80, what you are describing is coming from the reduced mass of the flywheel, not the clutch. The extra weight of the flywheel helps to dampen the noise you're hearing which is called torsional vibration. Torsional vibration is present at all times but is dampened by the springs on the clutch disc (which is why they are on the disc, not for smooth engagement) and the heavier weight of the factory flywheel. The same priinciple is used by Porsche, BMW and Nissan on the 350Z/G35 with a heavy dual mass flywheel. Torsional vibration is audible and not felt, it also the same noise sometimes described as the "coffee grinder" sound. A lightened flywheel WILL NOT reduce the noise.

To the OP there is a possibilty that the engagement may take a bit of getting used to and require a bit more throttle input to get the car underway smoother. Also if the flywheel was warped and not resurfaced properly the clutch would start slipping because of a lack of surface area for the disc to make contact with. Noises are hard to diagnose even when you're there to hear them in person, and virtually impossible if you're at a keyboard trying to find the answers. If you're really concerned about it take the car back to the place it was installed and have take it for a spin. If the problem persists and you think it's the clutch, shoot me a PM and we can take a look at it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Chatter - ACT Street Clutch