Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The effects of street racing...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's a video from the local newstation

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S349374.shtml?cat=1
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jixxer

However I will say this ... show me a track (closed course, safe) where you can race someone from a roll ... without having to shred your clutch and possibly F up your transmission from a stop.
Show me a road course without a straight-away that you can only go one car wide on?

Many people street race. The only ones that are stupid are those who think that it is EVER safe, either for themselves or others. Racing itself, whether on public streets or at a track, is inherently UN-safe. But the difference between racing on public streets and at a track is that anyone who might be injured or killed at the track knows the risks.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Tragedy nontheless.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:56 PM

This should show alot of people that attend the street races and hopefully scare them enough to hopefully stop and keep it on a track. Sad thing to see
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
Show me a road course without a straight-away that you can only go one car wide on?

Many people street race. The only ones that are stupid are those who think that it is EVER safe, either for themselves or others. Racing itself, whether on public streets or at a track, is inherently UN-safe. But the difference between racing on public streets and at a track is that anyone who might be injured or killed at the track knows the risks.
right, but don't you think the people out there street racing also know the risks? illegally or legally, they all know the risks. it's all just decisions from then on..too bad though...
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

wow are you kidding? did anyone see the second vid?

The girl was there with her DAD and 13 year old sister!!! wtf is wrong with these people? ..... the father died too btw
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
right, but don't you think the people out there street racing also know the risks? illegally or legally, they all know the risks. it's all just decisions from then on..too bad though...
Looks like you missed my point. I am saying that ANYONE in a position to get injured or killed at the track knows that there is a potential that they will get injured or killed. The drivers know, the corner-workers know, the pit crew know, the spectators know that things go wrong at the track all the time, and people can get hurt.

Not so for ANYONE in a position to get injured or killed due to street racing. The guy starting off at his green light getting t-boned by street racers who couldn't stop in time for their red. The lady walking her dog getting run down by some kid who loses control of the car and hops the curb. The guy doing the speed limit in the right lane getting clipped by someone swerving through traffic to race another car. None of those people set out to do what they do thinking that they were going to be affected by some racing related accident.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

thats why when i street race i do it with the person i plan on racing, and do it without observers. we do it on a safe road away from people. yet to have anyone get hurt, but if anyone did it would be us racing, thats a chance we all take, when at the race track or even everyday driving.

these gathers of people that they call street racers are mostly people trying to show off there cars. ive been to these events, most of the time its a big circle jerk of cars reving and going from gas station to gas station and the line of cars is so long whenever they get to a place to race the police are already there or follow shortly and break up the group before everyone gets into place and race.

most of the people that go just go to show off there cars and are afraid to actually race. but lots of them end up crashing going from place to place trying to show off.

thats why i avoid these gatherings.

my friends and i, people with fast cars set it up with just the people who want to race and do it right.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

yeah it sucks, that happened not far from where i live......
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

3:40 AM driving without headlights on.

Sure bartender, I'll have another few beers.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

I really dont understand what happened. So this guy was driving without headlights on at 3AM? I guess maybe saw the smoke and took a hard right into the crowd of people... The pics show that the man actually went hard right into the crowd. And the officer in the video didnt even mention in the interview that the fact the guy was driving without lights on even contributed to the accident.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stangar
How do you not SEE 5-6 people in the road??

Like the article says the racers had completed burnouts and the crowd was probably not visible for the smoke hangine in the air (no wind).
True, but it's really not a smart move to drive into burnout smoke, or ANYTHING you can't see through.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:02 PM

This sucks to say the least. I wonder if we could get more info on the crown vic ie...speed, age of driver what lane. It was probably some moron at the back of the pack that after the cars launched he sped off also and showing off for some reason drove without the headlights on. I've seen this myself in philly years ago. After the initial cars go people always take off after them either leaving or trying to catch up with them to show off. The accidents that I've seen are always kids pulling out at the end of the strip not paying attention to the cars bearing down on them at 100+ miles an hour.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow!!!!!!!!!Sad to see something like this happen...Especially seeing the vitims family members like that...RIP to all the victims...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

My condolences go out to the family of the victims that were saddenly killed in this tragedy. Stuff like this should not happen. People should go to the race track and run their cars.

Quick Reply: The effects of street racing...