Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loud lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud lifter noise

hey whats up, I did a search and got mixed reviews on this topic, so I'm starting my own thread in asking how bad is lifter noise, what can you do to stop it, how bad is it for your car? considering I do have 272 cams with supertech springs and retainers. Or should I just not worry about it and go one with it.
Old May 6, 2008, 06:59 AM

anyone, anyone!
Old May 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

bleed the lifters if you can't stand the noise.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:18 AM

mitsus=loud lifters...
Old May 16, 2008, 07:06 PM
Account Disabled

would bleeding the lifters make it go away?... i also have this problem ... would solid lifters solve this?
Old May 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive seen some guys who bled the lifters have that clicking sound and some who didnt bleed them and also have the noise...

although most of the time when you bleed your lifters they wont make that sound......nothing bad for the car though........

i didnt bleed mine and sometimes they make noise and most of the time they dont.
Old May 17, 2008, 04:44 AM
Silver Sponsor

It is just the nature of the beast. Pretty much all Mitsu's make the tick because the lifter design is very similar between the 4G's. I'm surprised though, the lifters in cars from 97-2001 were pretty good "revised" editions and not known to tick. It seems that JAM offers revised "no tick" lifters, something that may make you happy.

In other circles, Restore is known to reduce lifter tick, but I personally wouldn't use it on my EVO. Worked in the DSM though!
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old May 17, 2008, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

This can be a difficult ? to answer because noise can be subjective. An experienced tech should listen to it and tell you if the noise is acceptable. Hydralic lifters can be noisey, particularly when cold but if the noise is louder then the normal amount it can cause serious problems. The tic noise is created when the lifter isn't completely keeping the valve adjustment correct (too much gap between the rocker and the top of the valve. If that valve clearence gets too great the rocker can come off and will wreck your head!! I have seen it happen on 1st and 2nd gen eclipses when somebody ignored the loud tap for too long. Mitsu and aftermarket sources (Jam, etc.) have redesigned the lifters to have larger oil passageways to help with this problem but I have still seen them wear out in 30-60k miles and need replacement. Bleeding the lifters may help for a while but the problem will most likely return, the whole problem is that the lifter starts to stick inside not allowing it to pump up all the way causing too much clearance, thus tap tap tap tap tap. A good shop can use a special tool to replace the lifters in couple hours and you can get a set of upgraded ones for a couple hundred bucks. Its not worth the risk of screwing up your head if the noise is getting too loud, especially if it still makes it after warming up. Good luck!!
Old May 17, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lonnie@LMS
This can be a difficult ? to answer because noise can be subjective. An experienced tech should listen to it and tell you if the noise is acceptable. Hydralic lifters can be noisey, particularly when cold but if the noise is louder then the normal amount it can cause serious problems. The tic noise is created when the lifter isn't completely keeping the valve adjustment correct (too much gap between the rocker and the top of the valve. If that valve clearence gets too great the rocker can come off and will wreck your head!! I have seen it happen on 1st and 2nd gen eclipses when somebody ignored the loud tap for too long. Mitsu and aftermarket sources (Jam, etc.) have redesigned the lifters to have larger oil passageways to help with this problem but I have still seen them wear out in 30-60k miles and need replacement. Bleeding the lifters may help for a while but the problem will most likely return, the whole problem is that the lifter starts to stick inside not allowing it to pump up all the way causing too much clearance, thus tap tap tap tap tap. A good shop can use a special tool to replace the lifters in couple hours and you can get a set of upgraded ones for a couple hundred bucks. Its not worth the risk of screwing up your head if the noise is getting too loud, especially if it still makes it after warming up. Good luck!!

This is something you'll be looking at when I bring my car in. But it doesn't tick after it's warm. On another note check your PM
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:09 PM

lifter noise

I had some lifter noise and it was because of the oil filter only oil filter you should use on evo is the oem which I didn't know. Didn't think it was a big deal. But sure enough got a oil change and put the oem one in and no lifter noise.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

See i dunno if mine just loud or needing replacement :\
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:18 AM

see yeah it could be that they just need replaced too but most of the time its just wrong oil filter or wrong oil in general is what I believe. I had some really loud lifter noise and oil change and putting on right filter which is oem made a difference I don't think you can even tell now.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by thomas.featsent
see yeah it could be that they just need replaced too but most of the time its just wrong oil filter or wrong oil in general is what I believe. I had some really loud lifter noise and oil change and putting on right filter which is oem made a difference I don't think you can even tell now.
I WILL DO THAT CUZ I GOT MOBIL 1 OIL FILTER AND MY LIFTER MAKE LOUD NOISE
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thomas.featsent
I had some lifter noise and it was because of the oil filter only oil filter you should use on evo is the oem which I didn't know. Didn't think it was a big deal. But sure enough got a oil change and put the oem one in and no lifter noise.
you might be right cuz right after i did a oil change i got really bad lifter noise. to thick of a filter or something?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:27 PM

maybe

Quick Reply: Loud lifter noise