Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu ECU Reflash update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vishnu ECU Reflash update

Hi guys,

Many people have been calling and email us regarding the status of our Lancer EVO ECU remapping services/products. We are sad to announce that its release is currently on hold. And it will be so for the ndefinate future.

We've been holding back on disclosing the following info until our initial findings were verified by Technosquare (the US distributor who sells the Techtom reflashing system that just about everyone uses to reflash the EVO ECUs).

Here's what Technosquare found: On a approx 30% of all the reflashed ECUs tested by Tadashi at Technosquare, there was an issue with bad ROM information being written to the ECU. This resulted in unusually high ignition advance numbers at low rpm/low load conditions.

Those who have been following the evolutionm.net forum might remember us discovering this problem months ago on one such remapped ECUs that we tested (and OBD-II logged) on our dyno. We didn't not want to jump to conclusions with regards to this not being an isolated problem or not until this problem was reproduced by Tadashi at his facilities in Southern Calif. As of last week, it was indeed reproduced.

Currently, Technosquare and Techtom Japan are trying to figure out why this problem is occuring with some US EVO ECUs. They have even discovered that flashing an EVO ECU with what is supposed to be a stock EVO ECU ROM file, has resulted in this problem. In other words, what is being written into the ECU, in some cases, is bad information. We suspect another register has been added or subtracted from the ROM code in some of the ECUs, resulting in abberent computations/output.

As it stands, Techtom is is no longer selling the US EVO 8 reflashing system until this problem is solved. They will also be notifying the current Reflashed ECU distributors of the problem and advising them take the necessary steps to isolating the issues.

We will continue to work with Tadashi and Techtom on getting this problem resolved. Once resolved, we will be happy to offer reflashed EVO ECUs to our customers. But until then, back to your regularly schedule programming...

Best Regards,
Shiv

PS. This info only pertains to US EVO reflashed ECUs. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of our WRX remapped ECU offerings.

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 23, 2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Has anyone in the U.K. or Japan flashed their ECU's and , if so are they running into the same problem?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hotrod2448
Has anyone in the U.K. or Japan flashed their ECU's and , if so are they running into the same problem?
According to Tedashi, this problem is specific to the US model EVO ECU which, in terms of code, is different from the EVO ECUs across the pond.

Shiv
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks for the info, Shiv. I guess its time to start looking more seriously at the Xede.

-Seth

Edit: Reading>me

Last edited by Noize; Aug 25, 2003 at 12:49 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Vishnu ECU Reflash update

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Those who have been following the evolutionm.net forum might remember us discovering this problem months ago on one such remapped ECUs that we tested (and OBD-II logged) on our dyno. We didn't not want to jump to conclusions with regards to this not being an isolated problem or not until this problem was reproduced by Tedashi at his facilities in Southern Calif. As of last week, it was indeed reproduced.
For those without eidetic memory, that reference is to this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=29914
Old Aug 22, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

This does not have anything to do with the WORKS reflash program, right?

Please say no...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

So roughly 70% of WORKS customers have purchased the Brain flash, and 30% have purchased the Brain Damage flash?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I hope they get this problems solved soon. Even if they do get it fixed, the XEDE (or the UTEC when released) is the way to go in the long and the short term! I Just wish the price would go down a little!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Re: ECU Reflash update

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
We've been holding back on disclosing the following info until our initial findings were verified by Technosquare (the US distributor who sells the Techtom reflashing system that just about everyone uses to reflash the EVO ECUs).
It is not at all clear to me that the company called Real Engineering (website at http://www.real-engineering.com/) relies on Techtom. They post under the evolutionm userid of 2race4REAL. I, for some crazy reason, have assumed that they're a Korean-oriented company and have developed their own unique method of cracking the Mitsubishi ECU. I can offer no evidence of this, however, except to point to their unique research into the Mitsubishi ECU "security" mechanism, highlighted in thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=28940. Ask yourself the question: What are the chances that Techtom has developed solutions to Korean ECUs? In any event, I doubt that Real Engineering has depended in any way on Taduchi/Teduchi at Techtom for guidance.

Last edited by Señor Info; Aug 22, 2003 at 05:42 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ez76
So roughly 70% of WORKS customers have purchased the Brain flash, and 30% have purchased the Brain Damage flash?

Honestly, this revelation does not affect the WORKS ECUs, right? I just sent mine today.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

how it sounds technicaly this will effect any company using..

Technosquare (the US distributor who sells the Techtom reflashing system that just about everyone uses to reflash the EVO ECUs).

so you will have to ask works if they are using technosquare to reflash the system. if so then problems do apply
Old Aug 22, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dodnt know what work's uses - but I know Shawn had a problem with his RMR re-flash - this would explian that !

So far I saw and tuned 4 works re-flashed cars - they all were perfect !
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, the problem manifests itself as excessive ignition advance at low rpm, low load conditions. We isolated the problem to occur as low as 2000RPM where ignition advance numbers (at light load) were 45+ degrees BTDC. These conditions are not seen during a dyno pulls and would go otherwise unnoticed.

That said, the only easy way to properly detect it is to use a OBD-II scan tool and actively monitor ignition advance. Det cans will may also reveal minor rattling during such low load conditions. FWIW, a standard unflashed EVOs we've tested have shown max advance of 32-36 degrees BTDC under said conditions.

Regards,
Shiv
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
This does not have anything to do with the WORKS reflash program, right?
Correct.

-- DavidV

Last edited by DavidV@WORKS; Aug 22, 2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone with a reflashed ECU should check their max ignition advance numbers with a OBD-II logger to see if their ECU is generating abberant advance behavior. Especially since the majority of the reflashed EVO ECUs on the road have been reflashed by the Techtom reflashing system.

my 2c,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 22, 2003 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Vishnu ECU Reflash update