Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The competition clutch feels great and engages well but man is it heavy.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Purchasing a suspension without OEM reliability.....

In my case, Moton 2-way adjustable shocks/struts with remote reservoirs. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing, but...

People don't talk about rebuilds when they're selling super-fancy set-ups. Or the fact seals can blow. Or many other little things.

If you want fancy and you don't want to have to rebuild that often, I would say Ohlins have the closest to OEM reliability besides Bilstein. And most Evo owners don't use Bilstein coilovers. In fact, I'd get the Ohlins if I had to do it over again even though the Motons may be a bit more of an advanced setup.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jun 17, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:07 PM

Just as some other people in this thread, my ACT HDSS locks out in high rpms...
Sad but true. I needed a clutch, and didn't have money for the twin disk. Oh well. Live and learn
Old Sep 28, 2016, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Did you adjust it? mine was always fine...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Putting in cams with out doing headstuds and valve and springs... thought I would save the extra money at the time but I deff regret just not doing it all at once
Old Feb 20, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No regrets except for the first ecu flash i had done ack in 2005
Since then I must have flashed the ecu up to 1000+ times and currently have the tephra v7.
Engine still has stock block internals and valves, never been overhauled and car has almost 160,000 miles
GSCS2 cams
BBK full turbo
Twin methanol pumps with 3 nozzles
Boost at 29 max
I've changed the clutch 4 times and timing belt 3 times
Never touched factory headstud fasteners
Still outrun any vette I see

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Feb 20, 2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 04:22 PM

I regret putting BC BR Coilovers in it, I didn't, my friend did that I bought the car from, and my god these coils suck lol
Old Mar 11, 2017, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I regret buying the car modified. The deal I got on it was great in my opinion, but the dealer that rebuilt the new shortblock (the owner before had oil pump failure and blew the head gasket, at least thats what i was told). They didnt retune the car so I had to drive it home from Ohio on a e85 tune that was supposedly pump gas and mounting the FPR incorrectly and the list goes on.

When I bought the car it came with a Tial BOV and its So loud and pretty ricey but it amuses me enough to not hate it. I want to switch to a DV or something that would allow me to replace some of the IC piping because I do not like what is on there right now.

Then I took it to the wrong tuner in my opinion. The shop wanted over $1000 bucks to get it "running right" and the tune on it knocks randomly and enough to make it so i havent driven the car hard in MONTHS. I just saved up enough cash to bring it to a friend who really knows their stuff about 4g63 cars and Im hoping he can get the knock out of it and get me the power I am supposedly not getting. They did fix some mechanical issues with the car and they seem to have done that very well.

I bought FA500s 8k/8k. I have seen that people reccomend an 8k/10k setup so i might switch to that but its not a terrible thing to do since I might have someone who wants 8k Swift Springs.

The final thing that i regret is buying a car with some rust (ive started a thread on it so no need to go into the nitty gritty). Seems minor but everyone on here has said that it could be a major job so im hoping i can get that resolved before the summer.

Overall I love the car and Im glad that i was able to get a 9 and not have to wait nearly as long as I originally thought. Its my dream car.

Not to get off topic but does anyone reccomend a Trunk relocation kit. I saw people regretting theirs and I would like to switch because of weather and I dont trust a Mini battery in a daily. just PM me so we dont hijack the thread. Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2017, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
All brands are garbage.

Just venting, there ain't **** to do about it. My advice: If you're buying an Evo buy a wrecked junkyard piece of ****, because it's never going to be nice anyway. Just make it fast.

KW V3s: Dumbass springrates from the factory
AEM Boost gauge: Only reads even numbers in vacuum
Goodridge brakelines: Clip don't ****ing fit
Radium PCV Catch Can: Rubs on timing belt cover, stupid piece of ****
Seibon trunks: Did you idiots even measure this?
AMS oil pressure sender line: ahahahaha rubs on axle, **** me, probably fixable

I remember my grandpa's spare parts made in Russia in the 1960s and at least all of that **** FIT.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The only relocation u should be doing is the ACD.
Originally Posted by jheff
I regret buying the car modified. The deal I got on it was great in my opinion, but the dealer that rebuilt the new shortblock (the owner before had oil pump failure and blew the head gasket, at least thats what i was told). They didnt retune the car so I had to drive it home from Ohio on a e85 tune that was supposedly pump gas and mounting the FPR incorrectly and the list goes on.

When I bought the car it came with a Tial BOV and its So loud and pretty ricey but it amuses me enough to not hate it. I want to switch to a DV or something that would allow me to replace some of the IC piping because I do not like what is on there right now.

Then I took it to the wrong tuner in my opinion. The shop wanted over $1000 bucks to get it "running right" and the tune on it knocks randomly and enough to make it so i havent driven the car hard in MONTHS. I just saved up enough cash to bring it to a friend who really knows their stuff about 4g63 cars and Im hoping he can get the knock out of it and get me the power I am supposedly not getting. They did fix some mechanical issues with the car and they seem to have done that very well.

I bought FA500s 8k/8k. I have seen that people reccomend an 8k/10k setup so i might switch to that but its not a terrible thing to do since I might have someone who wants 8k Swift Springs.

The final thing that i regret is buying a car with some rust (ive started a thread on it so no need to go into the nitty gritty). Seems minor but everyone on here has said that it could be a major job so im hoping i can get that resolved before the summer.

Overall I love the car and Im glad that i was able to get a 9 and not have to wait nearly as long as I originally thought. Its my dream car.

Not to get off topic but does anyone reccomend a Trunk relocation kit. I saw people regretting theirs and I would like to switch because of weather and I dont trust a Mini battery in a daily. just PM me so we dont hijack the thread. Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2017, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
short sifter not as good as i thought it would be.. set of replica ssr type c wheels
Old Jun 21, 2017, 07:48 AM

The ACT stage 3 clutch is ridiculous as well as the turbo xs Bob. Made my car die at stop signs. Switched to the agency power adjustable and that helped. I installed a turbo timer on my car when I got a new turbo then left my car running in the parking lot at work for like 2 hours twice. Took that dam thing off. Cheap Oz rally wheels. The stock BBS's are Better imo.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothjazz
The ACT stage 3 clutch is ridiculous as well as the turbo xs Bob. Made my car die at stop signs. Switched to the agency power adjustable and that helped. I installed a turbo timer on my car when I got a new turbo then left my car running in the parking lot at work for like 2 hours twice. Took that dam thing off. Cheap Oz rally wheels. The stock BBS's are Better imo.
What didn't you like about the OZ Rally wheels?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 04:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wrapping up the race car, drilling holes in the trunk to install the Voltex wing only to find out someone ordered a new Voltex wing that most likely won't match the holes I drilled.
Dang it, we should have kept the spare trunk lid.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by InuFaye
The competition clutch feels great and engages well but man is it heavy.
Same here. Bought CC stage 4 sprung disc and man wtf did I do!!

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?