Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How To: Modding your Evo ~$100 at a time!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
Definitely a worthy product to get if you ask me. Both Scheides and I, along with pretty much all our local friends, are running them with great results. I powder coated mine black to be extra sleek
Haven't found much info on this kit...saw a bunch of posts about Buschur's new catch can but that's big bucks!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:19 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
outstanding thread...for noobs? hell ive had my evo for over 3 yrs and some of this was informative to me lol...very nice work
Yup, the evo is so fun out of the box it's easy to be blind to some of the little stuff. The reality of the situation is that there are Audis, STI's and Mazdaspeeds and Mustangs to beat up on out there and you can really 'take it to eleven' when you start to explore all of these little details!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:27 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by SPANKED
Haven't found much info on this kit...saw a bunch of posts about Buschur's new catch can but that's big bucks!
Yea the ones we use are priced right and work well. They also integrate into most catch can solutions on the market, or can be used with a relatively stock setup.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
What about our intake, exhaust, intercooler and AEM Wideband?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
It is similar to the thread I created six months ago. With some extra stuff. I am not going to sticky this thread. It isn't fair to vendors if certain vendor have products linked while others don't. That is why the thread I made is 100% blank in terms of links.

This thread is also geared towards you location. Alignment and tune suggestions are for local people.

It is opinion and not fact in some cases. Examples being injectors, Tein S-Techs, and the OEM IX diverter valve. 9/10 times you will not need to upgrade injectors on the stock turbo. Tein S-Techs ruin the car's handling completely (find me someone who auto-x's or road races with these) and do nothing positive for the car other than looks. Unless you crush the jdm ix dv, holding 28 psi is an exception to the rule.

I don't disagree with a lot of your suggestions but in the interest of fairness this will not be sticky-ed. Feel free to make your suggestions to members when applicable threads are posted.

The ECU hacking section would be a nice addition to my thread and I'll probably PM you about adding it.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
Tein S-Techs ruin the car's handling completely (find me someone who auto-x's or road races with these) and do nothing positive for the car other than looks. .
I do autocross sir

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
This thread is also geared towards you location. Alignment and tune suggestions are for local people.
This is true, but with the exception of the tune and alignment I think the rest of the parts are available nationally/globally from the links we provided. The thread is a bit biased, I will not hide that fact, but it is biased towards the products and shops that we have had excellent personal experience with and recommend to others in full confidence they'll experience the same.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 17, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
What about our intake, exhaust, intercooler and AEM Wideband?
Yo Michael! At least we got your new LICP We will revise the thread and add news things as time permits. When I add the FMIC section I can promise the ETS name will pop up.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:24 PM

Looks great guys! thanks for the info and the help with my modding!!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Great Info!!! thanks!!!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Great info. I got serious question about UCIP.
Right now Im using Injen UICP with Injen Intake.
My BOV is fluttering like crazy. Should I go back to stock UICP and get like monster intake that covers the stock air box?
I was thinking about going to tial setup due to crazy flutter problem I have.

Thank you again! Cant find short shifter with bushing on ebay =(

Last edited by joon82; Nov 18, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:33 PM

this should be stickied for sure! i dunno how the other mods thread should get stickied and not this
Old Nov 19, 2008, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joon82
Great info. I got serious question about UCIP.
Right now Im using Injen UICP with Injen Intake.
My BOV is fluttering like crazy. Should I go back to stock UICP and get like monster intake that covers the stock air box?
I was thinking about going to tial setup due to crazy flutter problem I have.

Thank you again! Cant find short shifter with bushing on ebay =(

Here is the shifter you need, the Evo uses the same design as the '00-03 Eclipse:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...Q5fAccessories

From what I've personally seen, the Injen and Weapon*R intakes and IC piping kits are junk. I'd probably replace them with something quality if you can.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 19, 2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the post. Very informative for someone of my stature. I have had my Evo since May, and trying to learn as much as possible! If you feel as though some brands are not the ones you may like, just do the research and use what YOU like. Do as I do, and when someone gives you a suggestion, make sure you do the research on it prior to getting it for yourself. Always know what you are getting yourself into. Don't ever forget, it is YOUR car, and YOU should build it the way it makes YOU happy, not to please someone else! Once again, good post and thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Here is the shifter you need, the Evo uses the same design as the '00-03 Eclipse:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...Q5fAccessories

From what I've personally seen, the Injen and Weapon*R intakes and IC piping kits are junk. I'd probably replace them with something quality if you can.
wow thank you! only $35 shipped
Already have AMS intake and planning to get AMS UICP and tial.
Hope it works good without recirculation.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:44 AM
EvoM Moderator

Don't waste your money on teh tial. They are bling but the driveability of the stock IX bov is way better, and you could put that $200+ towards two more "$100 mods" on this list!

Quick Reply: How To: Modding your Evo ~$100 at a time!