Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Headlight Adjusting

Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight Adjusting

I was wondering if there is a knob or something on the headlights that let me angle the lights up a little more. I put in a HID kit on my Evo (IX GSR) and I can't seem to get the headlights to raise up anymore. It seems as though they are angled at the ground more than ahead of me.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

There should be a headlight adjustment dial inside your car to the left of the steering wheel near the cluster illumination dial.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
There is not an in-cabin adjuster on the non-HID cars. There is a phillips screwdriver slot on the back of the housings though. You can adjust the lights up with that.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
There is not an in-cabin adjuster on the non-HID cars. There is a phillips screwdriver slot on the back of the housings though. You can adjust the lights up with that.
Awesome, do I have to remove the bumper to get to it, or can I reach behind and feel it?

And yeah, my Evo is non-HID stock, but I put a plug and play kit in it.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Like SmikeEvo said, there's adjusters at the back of the housings. On the passenger side, you'll need to remove some obstructing stuff before you can really reach down there and get the knob. Once you're down there, you can use a screwdriver or wrench to turn the dial and adjust the height up and down. Driver's side is the same, it's easier to reach.

Unscrew the can so you can move it aside, that way you can reach down there

Passenger side

Driver side

Sorry if these aren't the best of pictures, I got a little lazy. You can see on the driver side that it's next to the power plug for your high beam bulb.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yea and when you do this, go somewhere with a big wall and park about 20-30ft away. Make sure it's basically level ground too. That way you can adjust them exactly the way you want it...I got my cutoffs to match and now driving in the night is beautiful. It took me a few tries to get them completely leveled out and the right height.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Great pics - thanks al3xx
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I found its easier to use a 10mm socket instead of the screwdriver. Just go slow b/c the plastic gears tend to strip if you try and move them too quickly.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I agree, I used the socket and it was a breeze.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I hope this works, I've tried many times before but FAILED! I guess a couple more tries wouldn't hurt.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have tried repeatedly for a few months already and have had absolutely no success at adjusting my headlights at all . I'm just going to buy better aftermarket bulbs instead and hope that it will help...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've tried several times too and I made sure they did not slip. The headlights just adjust themselves back to its low state like it's looking for quarters on the road. =[
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with the factory HID's on my SSL VIII. I found that the high beams were pointed exactly where I needed them but the HID's were pointed at the ground. I did as instructed above and parked the car facing the wall about 25-30ft away. I made a mark on the wall where they were so I had a mark to start from. In order to adjust just the HID's and not the high beams, I unscrewed the little gear from the primary adjusting screw and twisted it with my fingers to get the HID to move up where I needed them. While doing this I had the thumbwheel set on the high setting. That way I knew it would be high and I could bring them down with the thumb wheel if necessary. I try not to blind people with my HID's! LOL How many of you have noticed that your HID's tend to "settle" over time? Mine creep down over time.

Josh

Last edited by jmelocik; Dec 29, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

i just ran across this thread and i have been wanting to do the same thing

one problem.....the gear doesent wanna turn and i dont know how much it will take before it breaks.....

i even loosened the hex screw in the middle of the 10mm nut that turns the gear and still no movement....

it only moves a little in each direction but not enough to move the headlights.....

any suggestions??
The following users liked this post:
Nikos Theonas (Aug 21, 2020)
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

good thread i have the adjustment in the cabin the drivers side goes up and down but the passenger side does not move im guessing somthing is broken?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight Adjusting