Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Metal scraping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Metal scraping

about 2 weeks ago i was driving and suddenly heard a loud metal on metal scraping/crushing noise coming from my car

its been happening when i slow down or go into corners at slow speeds

it sounds like its coming from a wheel area

also when i purchased my car i had a loud noise coming from the back at high speeds like a wooooooooow-wooooooooow noise does any one else get this?
i dismissed it because it never affected performance and i always heard evo' were noisy as hell

help plz
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Could be a wheel bearing or even a rock stuck between your caliper and rotor. Really hard to diagnose over the internet.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

I'd say the wooooooooow wooooooooow noise is to do with the wheel baring. But as for the metal scraping sound......

I had this on my evo 9 when I would slow down or enter a corner, it didnt do it everytime, so was a random noise, but was quite frequent. What it turned out to be was one of the sway bars touching the exhaust under the car, i believe it was the 2nd back from the front. It had a gap of around half centimeter when I fit the exhaust and when the car was stationary, but under load the engine twists etc, and they would come into contact under certain conditions. I just put a small spacer to lower the sway bar another half centimeter and Ive never had any problems since. give this a serious look as its a simple fix to a very annoying problem
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DxbIX
I'd say the wooooooooow wooooooooow noise is to do with the wheel baring. But as for the metal scraping sound......

I had this on my evo 9 when I would slow down or enter a corner, it didnt do it everytime, so was a random noise, but was quite frequent. What it turned out to be was one of the sway bars touching the exhaust under the car, i believe it was the 2nd back from the front. It had a gap of around half centimeter when I fit the exhaust and when the car was stationary, but under load the engine twists etc, and they would come into contact under certain conditions. I just put a small spacer to lower the sway bar another half centimeter and Ive never had any problems since. give this a serious look as its a simple fix to a very annoying problem

i'll check sway bar thing 2morrow morning thanks alot for the help

btw did your sound happen right when you installed the exhaust
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Check all inner/outer brake pads. If it makes that noise under braking could mean a pad is worn through and you are metal-to-metal braking.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake pad issue, or your exhaust rubbing the driveshaft. Probably the later. What exhaust is on the car?

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 17, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Inner pad metal to metal. Happened to my EX's RS
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Another vote for inner pads. One inside pad always wears out when all the others have 1/4 or more pad left.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DxbIX

I think you mean the exhaust was touching the tie bar.

I had a "bong" (not the kind you smoke from) type noise, like the sound of someone hitting the spring with a rubber mallet, coming from the front when under similar conditions. Turned out to be the bearings in the upper strut mount.
Another thing I have found, if you drive your car in winter conditions where they use cinders on the road. Sometimes they will collect on the springs and get caught in between two coils where the dead coils start.. (I have aftermarket springs) When the suspension compresses you can hear the cinders being crushed. That makes a lovely sound.