Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Opinions on HID kits

Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on HID kits

I am looking to change my HL's to HID's and want opinions on what kits people have run that have worked good and any that people have had issues with. I have searched but the new search doesnt seem to work very well.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a thread on this, but I cant find it either. Sorry.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
search hid conversion

you'll find a bunch of threads

we have plenty of vendors that sell kits and I'm sure they can help you too
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I will try that. The search function doesnt seem to work as well as it used to. It gives you many results that do not pertain to what you are searching for at all.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor

High beams are a bit of waste if you live in a populated area. Since the bulbs if cold have a 5-7 second warm up.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well I searched and am still not finding what I am looking for. I get posts about turbo kits, marajuana legalization, all kinds of crap.

Originally Posted by Curt@MrLed
High beams are a bit of waste if you live in a populated area. Since the bulbs if cold have a 5-7 second warm up.
I am a little lost by this comment.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor

Sorry tired, I looked and thought you ment By HL high and low. I should have read it better and I would have realized you ment headlight.

Been on the computer for 14 hours.

I know I have just the d2s bulbs, I honestly cant say I have seen another seller on here selling them. I could be wrong. Search sucks, but it is a bit better than it has been. Try searching d2s bulb.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:50 PM

i have used techone and McColloch's hid kit and had good luck with both. they both lasted more than 2 years and im still on the techone. i had a the mc first but they were 5k with no cutoff's super bright, got rolled a couple times. so i bought the techone 6k dual beam and they are great also.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry tired, I looked and thought you ment By HL high and low. I should have read it better and I would have realized you ment headlight.

Been on the computer for 14 hours.

I know I have just the d2s bulbs, I honestly cant say I have seen another seller on here selling them. I could be wrong. Search sucks, but it is a bit better than it has been. Try searching d2s bulb.
I am starting to wonder if I am just losing it too. I dont know if I am not making sense or if I am just not reading right. lol

I currently DO NOT have HID's just the standard lights, and am wanting opinions on different HID conversion kits.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor

Wow, I need bed. Strike 2 against me. Click link for pics and info. Its in my 3rd post. I think that will help. Wow Im tired, and clearly cant comprehend. Sorry.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-exterior.html
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor

Low beams are 9006. I got that right. The top of the line kits are xetronics, piaa, bosch, and Sylvania.

I can attest to running my hids for 3 years in all different types of vehicles. Anyone who bought from me can attest to there brightness and longevity as well. My hids are between mid grade and top of the line. Even though I dont have digital ballasts I guarentee mine are brighter than xetronics digitals, and have near perfect colors between sides.

There are other vendors on here as well. Check the lighting forum in the vendor section. Make sure you get something with at least a year warranty, stay under 8000k, and you'll get what you pay for.

Last thing is heed caution with some 55 watt kits, they can melt your housings if you drive your car at night alot.

Last edited by Curt@MrLed; Mar 2, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

And this kit is completely plug and play right?

Any other plug and play kits people have had success with?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

I put a kit on my DSM from sharphid.com. It's a simple plug-and-play and I've had no problem with it. The ballasts are way smaller than competitors, which one might think will be a problem later on but I have not seen one. They come with a lifetime warranty also. When you install it, plug the harness to the car backwards opposed to the way you would think it would plug in. It sounds crazy but I guess the wires come backwards in the plug.
The low beam bulb is a 9006. Go with the 35w and something around 8000k. Good luck!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Low beams are 9006. I got that right. The top of the line kits are xetronics, piaa, bosch, and Sylvania.

I can attest to running my hids for 3 years in all different types of vehicles. Anyone who bought from me can attest to there brightness and longevity as well. My hids are between mid grade and top of the line. Even though I dont have digital ballasts I guarentee mine are brighter than xetronics digitals, and have near perfect colors between sides.

There are other vendors on here as well. Check the lighting forum in the vendor section. Make sure you get something with at least a year warranty, stay under 8000k, and you'll get what you pay for.

Last thing is heed caution with some 55 watt kits, they can melt your housings if you drive your car at night alot.
about how much do one of these kits cost?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

I used the kit from vvme.com with great success. I have a thread on it. I just traded the car in Jan. I had them on the car for a little over a year with no issues. I can tell you that the ballast for there kit will screw into the bottom of your headlight assy. In the factory spot. Good luck.

link to my thread it has some good tips in it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...d-my-05-a.html

Search this Thread