Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

bouncing steering column

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question bouncing steering column

First i apologize if their is another thread out their covering this topic but i have searched and searched and the closest thing i could find is shaking steering wheels... But here is my problem, i don't experience any problem with my steering column until i go about 100+ and then my steering column slowly starts bouncing up and down until it is extremely violent at around 130-140 and its not like a shaking but literally bouncing up then down about a few inches each way... now i usually don't like going that fast but it just doesn't seem right for that to happen. does anyone have any incite to what the problem could be, and how to fix it?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is your steering wheel tilt thing locked?

sounds scary... you probably dont want to drive that fast until its fixed... if it breaks going that fast and you loose control of your steering your probably not going to live
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it is locked completely, and i went that speed once and and after that was to scared to do it again till i found out what was causing it and how to fix it. like u said i didnt want to have something go wrong with the steering and wipe out going 140...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Why the hell are you going 100+ MPH in the first place?

Unless you are on a racetrack, not a good idea buddy.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX

i understand that, that's why i said i don't like to go that fast. but i don't think you can find to may people with an evo that can say they haven't tested the potential of their car outside the track. i really don't want to be criticized for driving fast i just wanted to see if anyone can help me out with this problem. i understand its not a good idea to do and don't recommend people to do it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX

are you serious? lol.

you said your column moves "a few inches" up and down? theres something terribly wrong if it really moves a few inches...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i know i have no idea what it could be, daily driving is perfectly fine and feels completely normal just at high speeds you can tell something is seriously wrong...

and yes their is literally no exaggeration on what i said...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

wow, well can you move it up and down by hand? i would remove the column cover and make sure its all bolted up still. im not sure on the evo, but usually theres just 2 or 4 bolts holding the column to the dash frame. also maybe there is a problem with alignment or wheel balance.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by idriveanevo
wow, well can you move it up and down by hand? i would remove the column cover and make sure its all bolted up still. im not sure on the evo, but usually theres just 2 or 4 bolts holding the column to the dash frame. also maybe there is a problem with alignment or wheel balance.
no you cant move it at all by hand, and i can take it apart and check it as soon as i can. but i think it is probably more of a serious problem then a few loose screws...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:28 PM

gallas,

I went that fast a few times and had no problems. Also realize that when you are going that fast any tiny little bump is going to be like hitting a speed bump. The whole car is most likely shaking and you are getting air off of any irregularity in the road. This is the whole reason going so fast is not a good idea. Well other then you are far beyond terminal volicty for a car crash. Also what was your RPM's at? You should be getting pretty high for a stock evo at that speed.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinorThreat
gallas,

I went that fast a few times and had no problems. Also realize that when you are going that fast any tiny little bump is going to be like hitting a speed bump. The whole car is most likely shaking and you are getting air off of any irregularity in the road. This is the whole reason going so fast is not a good idea. Well other then you are far beyond terminal volicty for a car crash. Also what was your RPM's at? You should be getting pretty high for a stock evo at that speed.
I understand how hitting any little bump would feel like a speed bump but it is more of a constant vibration not really a irregular vibration and was something that slowly built up the faster i went. and i dont remember the rpm's but i know it was before redline maybe a few thousand rpm's before red.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

just a guess, but a wheel the feels balanced at low speeds, could possibly feel way out of spec at 120+.. when was the last time you had an alignment and proper wheel balance
Old Apr 30, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
just a guess, but a wheel the feels balanced at low speeds, could possibly feel way out of spec at 120+.. when was the last time you had an alignment and proper wheel balance
I had a alignment a few months ago but i dont know when i had a balance. i was planing on getting it done just for the hell of it when i get back from the lower 48 for work. could not having a correct balance effect the car only at extreme speeds?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by gallas
I had a alignment a few months ago but i dont know when i had a balance. i was planing on getting it done just for the hell of it when i get back from the lower 48 for work. could not having a correct balance effect the car only at extreme speeds?
Yes a good analogy would be a cd. If you take a music cd and put a little piece of tape on one side you could spin it all you want manually and not notice a difference. But when you put it in a cd player it will bounce all over the place. If I remembered any physics i'd try to explain it to you .
Old Apr 30, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinorThreat
Yes a good analogy would be a cd. If you take a music cd and put a little piece of tape on one side you could spin it all you want manually and not notice a difference. But when you put it in a cd player it will bounce all over the place. If I remembered any physics i'd try to explain it to you .
Lol... nice that was a very nice down to earth explanation.

Quick Reply: bouncing steering column