Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quieter evo? dynamat? ur thoughts?

Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quieter evo? dynamat? ur thoughts?

i was reading some import magazine i got a free subscription too when i went to hot import nights and they were talking about stripping the interior of the car and covering it in dynamat, they actually did it on this man's car and said it made a huge difference, what you guys think? i know its an evo and suppose to be loud but when i drove down to miami for 3 and half hours if the car was quiter it would of helped out alot, they dynamat the entire interior and truck and it only added about 60 pounds to the car, anyone on here tried this and know if it really works? cause dynamat is not cheap
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

It works. Pain to do it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't buy dynamat - there are cheaper alternatives.

also another way to quiet down the noise is a quieter exhaust system!! i have two resonators on mine
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

4 big categories of noise

Engine noise (not very heavy firewall shield)
Wind noise (sealing around windows, open hood vents)
Road noise (wide high performance tires, harmonic resonances)
Exhaust noise (aftermarket makes more noise)

Damping material (ie. Dynamat, B-Quiet) will only subdue the road noise portion by reducing the resonant frequency of larger panels but you still have a few other offenders.

I was toying with the ideal of a sound barrier like some carpet underpadding. That should help with the exhaust noise part.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Is it worth spending money to add 60 pounds to your car? I don't know the costs exactly (every dynamat install I've had was free with stereo systems) but I would say it isn't worth it. Depending on where the noise is coming from/what is causing it, I'm sure there are cheaper and lighter ways of resolving it. Perhaps give us an idea of what is causing the noise or what kind of noise is bothering you. For all we know you have a bad TC
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

It will provide a quieter ride and better sound quality for your car stereo.

Don't buy anything else but Dynamat...the other "cheaper alternatives" out there don't compare in quality.

Here is a guide on how to Dynamat your Evo:

http://www.evogarage.net/home/?p=243

Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dynamatted my trunk when I had my stereo system installed. I did the trunk lid, wheel well, rear quarters and every where else I could get my hand into. It made a large improvement. I still have, as billy pointed out, engine, wind and road noise but I knew these things buying the car.

If I wanted a quiet, fast, AWD car, I would have bought an Audi or the like. But I'm currently not working on Audi money.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I would not suggest putting Dynamat in your whole car, my old car had full dynamat from the trunk all the way up to the front doors and it's heavy.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

buy some earplugs, .50 cents
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

I used fatmat it was half the cost of dynamat and the same thing. I did the trunk completely and I also did it on the the backside of the rear seat cover in the trunk. Definately helped I still want to do the doors but the car got so much quieter I keep forgetting.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Here a pic! See the back liner of the rear seats! Do the backside of it helps a lot. I also took the cloth liner of the trunk and took a piece of carpeting and traced the shape of the liner onto it. I then cut the carpet and installed a niece piece of carpeting as oppose to the cheap oem one. This helped a little bit as well.
Attached Thumbnails Quieter evo? dynamat? ur thoughts?-picture-007.jpg  

Last edited by EriCS; Jul 29, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

U could use some spray on deadener like dyna spray too...it will be heavy like dyna mat though...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1MR0D
I dynamatted my trunk when I had my stereo system installed. I did the trunk lid, wheel well, rear quarters and every where else I could get my hand into. It made a large improvement. I still have, as billy pointed out, engine, wind and road noise but I knew these things buying the car.

If I wanted a quiet, fast, AWD car, I would have bought an Audi or the like. But I'm currently not working on Audi money.
Assuming you have an Evo, and put a decent sound system in the car, you definitely have Audi money Maybe not an RS4 or S6, but still.

If you want a quiet, fast, AWD car... you can buy a new STi or X too... they're much improved in the noise departments.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that will cost a good penny to cover the whole inside and will take a good bit of time to do....
def not worth it. if you wanted a quiet car, you should've bought something else
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Dynamat is good product and it works, only problem is the weight and cost.
But it is worth it if you are looking to reduce the noise.

P.s: This is stupid, not because he want a quiet car mean he choosed the wrong one.
Remember; he is asking if it works and not if he bought the right car ....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quieter evo? dynamat? ur thoughts?