Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Head Removal and Carbon Buildup on Pistons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Removal and Carbon Buildup on Pistons

I pulled off the Head Last night on my EVO8 Motor and was Appaled at the Carbon that has accumulated on the Pistons and upper Cylinder Walls.

Is this Due to the Factorys Over Rich AFR?

The plugs have always looked fine, I am cleaning up the surfaces and was wondering if there are any NO NO Procedures that I should stay away from?

I am Using an OEM Head Gasket and did not notice any Copper Residue from the Old Gasket, with the OEM Gasket and only 25-30lbs of Boost is Copper Overkill?

Deak

Ill post a few pics Later off the Pistons, I have cleaned them up a little already with some LW and Brass Brush.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Hafa Adai, SEA FOAM?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I hear Sea Foam works well. Just pour 1/3 into your intake manifold, 1/3 into your oil, 1/3 in your fuel tank. I've never done the intake manifold or the oil but I have poured some in with my fuel, I noticed a little better fuel economy.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:08 PM

Ive done the seafoam. Youll smoke like a **** for a little bit but then it seems to run cleaner. Ive never pulled off the heads or anything to check but people swear by it.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbon is normal, every engine will have sum , just part of the combustion. As far as cleaning it off the top of the piston, you should be really careful because u can get in the rings and end up causing more damage than good. As far as copper, are you taking about copper sealant? The factory will not use copper sealant on head gaskets. If the surface on the head and block are good, you should not need it. Buschur has said the factory head gasket will hold 35lbs+
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I was Talking about Spray a Gasket Copper.... Just to make sure that the Surfaces dont have Minor Imperfections. The Surface looks good I am going to hit it with a light 1500 Wet and clean up the Mating surface. We will see how it works. I am putting faith in the OEM because it has had Great Results. I have a Cometic that I originally bought but after seeing a thread on the Clamping distribution I went and ordered the OEM instead.

Deak
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:29 PM

seafoam works great. just make sure that when you feed it through the intake manifold that you don't let it suck it all up at once. slowly feed it through and you'll be just fine. let it do its thing and then start it up. like someone said it will smoke like a ****, but when it clears up you will definately feel a difference