Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone who has wrecked an Evo...I need help quick

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who has wrecked an Evo...I need help quick

So yesterday night while driving, a string of bad events ended up leading to me hitting a guard rail head on. Crushed bumper, passanger headlight, bent up front of hood, and tweeked fender. At first when I looked at it I figured I could replace the parts and call it a day. Then I opened the hood. The frame seems straight but I haven't looked close, but the radiator support is bent up and will have to be replaced.
For my question... At what point does most insurence companies total them out. I am trying to decide whether to even go through insurence or not.
Car is a 06 Evo IX MR GG with 74k miles. Car was in perfect condition with coilovers $1000 in tires 2months ago and a couple other parts.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're looking at close to $5,000 or possibly more in labor and parts. Just giving you a rough estimate. For that amount they won't total it.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do not go through insurance if its not frame damage, but do make sure your frame rails are straight
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

They won't total it
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Total.

$1200 hood,$1200 headlight,$900 front bumper,$600 Fender ,and rad support $251 with Labor?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:55 AM

If you can afford to pay out of pocket I wouldnt go through your insurance. Hopefully your frame is not bent. How fast were you going when you hit the rail?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

I'd say go through the insurance, DEMAND O.E.M parts and go to a GOOD body shop that guaratees their work. If your thinking about using the money for mods, i wouldn't a wrecked car is a wrecked car, but if its been repaired properly you can still hold some of the value on the car.. It helps that our cars values shot up from last year so if they do total it out, you will get a good paycheck
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Why wouldn't you go through insurance? Isn't that what you pay them for. Your deductible should be $500-$1000 and it will cost about $5000 to fix. Go through insurance and save yourself $4000, or better yet go get the highest repair estimate possible and get cashed out. Then look for a body shop of your choice, get if fixed and pocket the change.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

This post is the reason why I hate buying used cars. So because you don't go through insurance, you avoid getting the accident on the car. Now if someone buys it, they don't know the car has been in an accident. Even if the car is totaled, you can still buy it back.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They'll let you buy the car back only if there's no lien on the title.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

I owe 14k on it and when I insured it 6 months ago they valued it at roughly $21500. I was posting the car for sale next week. I need the money else where in life. I am looking for the option that will end me with the most cash possable. When I get home today I am going to get into it and under it to find the complete extent of the damage. And probobly swap my stock suspention back on. I will take and post some pics tonight. So you all can get a better understanding of the extent of damage.
Slo-evo I understand what you are saying, I've been screwed over a few times and I am not out to do that to anyone and if it is totaled (frame damage) then I will absolutly not sell it to someone and I will be totaling it though insurence. Thanks for all the advice I will update you all tonight.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just go thru the insurance like stated it before its what you pay them for. If you keep trying to make money out of it someone will end up getting screwed either you or the next guy who buys it, I think that if you were planning on selling it like you said you were then be legit about it have the insurance fix it or total it.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
if you do decide to go through insurance, get the quote on repairs from a dealership (nicest one you can find) and then get the actual repairs from the most reputable dealership (unless they're the same place) once you get the check. Might net you a few extra bucks doing it this way
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
I'd say go through the insurance, DEMAND O.E.M parts and go to a GOOD body shop that guaratees their work. If your thinking about using the money for mods, i wouldn't a wrecked car is a wrecked car, but if its been repaired properly you can still hold some of the value on the car.. It helps that our cars values shot up from last year so if they do total it out, you will get a good paycheck
Depending on your policy you probably won't have that option. If it's someone else's fault you can, and if your car is valued at a certain amount or is less than 3 (?) years old can, but on a 5 year old car that you caused the accident you most likely can't demand oem parts. My wife wrecked out mint forester XT 5 speed and we got stuck with non oem parts.

Your best bet to make money on the deal is get a few high quotes, take the money and negotiate a good price with cash up front

OR you could go back and hit the guard rail going a little faster, total it out and call it a day (joking of course)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:19 PM

^^^yes!

Quick Reply: Anyone who has wrecked an Evo...I need help quick