my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!! - evolutionm.net
evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo General
Log In 
Search


Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central


my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!

This morning when I start my car I heard it crank about 2 times and stopped,so I try to crank again but nothing happened....next thing i saw is lot of smoke come from my hood,I open the hood and saw my engine wiring harness caught on fire and a lot of them is melted........can anyone tell me why would this happen???and is there a
good chance that all my ecu is gone too??? please help!!!!
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (33)
 
gsrboi80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Where the streets have no name
Posts: 7,358

Drives: 03 TB VIII

A bad ground would do it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoryder View Post
Its' the turbo punching out for the day
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
d0nald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Millville, MA
Posts: 149

Drives: 2006 EVO iX SE

Send a message via AIM to d0nald
yes, possibly a bad ground. ive seen grounds affect so many different things.
__________________
2006 GG EVO IX SE
Massachusetts

"Only drive as fast as your guardian angel can fly"
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

bad ground near the battery terminal???
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 600

Drives: 03 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 F150, 2003 Evo

Send a message via AIM to Biggiesacks
Sounds like a short. Have you had anything done to your car recently?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

all I have do recently is change to individual spark plug coil......I don't think that will cause the short...thanks for the help
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 600

Drives: 03 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 F150, 2003 Evo

Send a message via AIM to Biggiesacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl271 View Post
all I have do recently is change to individual spark plug coil......I don't think that will cause the short...thanks for the help


Did you wire that up, or was it plug and play?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

it is a plug and play
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
 
EvoVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nassau, Bahamas
Posts: 78

Drives: EvoIV

Take a good look at the spark plug coil that ou changed and the ground points.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
barneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Island, NE
Posts: 4,410

Drives: '03 Evo 8, '04 WRX

Whether it be a headlight, electric motor or a circuit board, each device in an automobile that uses electricity has the correct amount of internal resistance to draw just the amount of current it needs. So, the device using the power is the throttle that controls the flow of electricity.

When an energized wire gets shorted to ground, and ground on an automobile is any metal part not insulated wire, there is no control over the flow of electricity. The battery or alternator tries to send down this shorted wire all the current it can supply. Ordinarily, if the circuit is protected by a fuse the fuse opens and kills the short.

If the wire happens to be unprotected then the high current in the wire causes the insulation to melt. Next, if the wire is in a bundle, it can melt into other wires and perhaps cause the same problems there. This problem can occasionally cascade throughout the wiring loom.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

which ground point should I check for???
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
 
evo8nfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: washington State
Posts: 196

Drives: Evo 8 MR

pics?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

that's the pic from my car, thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!-img_0097.jpg   my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!-img_0098.jpg   my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!-img_0099.jpg   my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!-img_0101.jpg   my engine wiring harness caught on fire ,help!!-img_0102.jpg  

Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
barneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Island, NE
Posts: 4,410

Drives: '03 Evo 8, '04 WRX

It looks like well done.

Try to figure out what happened so you don't fry more wiring when the repair is completed.

As for the repair, there is no easy fix. All wiring that is damaged must be replaced with new loom.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:09 PM   #15
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 8

Drives: evo 8

ppl are telling me that may be my starter shorted and causes the wiring harness to caught on fire,is that possible??
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you're not above it. It can happen to you too! hatesposers Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain 18 Sep 30, 2014 04:41 AM
Fuse #8 Keeps Blowing Out *NEED HELP* TS Goofy Evo General 29 Dec 23, 2013 07:46 AM
AEM Ignition problem. HELP!!! durangorider AEM EMS 12 Apr 27, 2010 09:29 AM
Very Confused Evo Caught On Fire! chargespeedMR Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain 61 Nov 19, 2008 03:13 PM
driving and suddenly fire under my hood! sekula Evo General 45 Jun 15, 2007 02:44 PM


Tags
car, caught, covered, engine, evo, f150, fire, ground, harness, melt, melted, points, starter, we didnt start the fire!, wire, wiring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cookie Policy -