Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Locked my key in, need help - Yes I know I'm stupid.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked my key in, need help - Yes I know I'm stupid.

Just wanted to get that out of the way first. I haven't locked my keys in ANY vehicle for 20+ years, but I managed to do it instyle this time. Luckily we have an extra car, so I'm not in a HUGE hurry and can take my time figuring this out.

Recently picked up an IX MR SE that had only one key and key fob. Went out to move it into the garage last night, and I couldn't find the key. Here's what I found.

My (only) key is locked in the car. No problem I thought, I have the key fob inside. Try to unlock it and can't. Not sure what's going on. Look through the window, key is in the ignition. I'm thinking "Ok, so what? It should still unlock". Look closer, Key in in the "ON" position. So it probably has a dead battery, rendering the power locks unusuable.

Fun! So the situation is:

Bad:
Key in ignition, dead battery, car locked, all windows up.

Good:
Car in driveway, have another car to drive to work. Have key fob.

So- Obviously I can just break a window and get in. I don't know if the child locks are activated in the back or not, I rarely use the back seat for anything other than my backpack, so I can't really rely on breaking one of the small windows in back.

I could break a side windows, but would rather not deal with the expense and cleaning and hassle of replacing it.

I don't think there's any way I'm going to fish a hanger in and be able to press the manual locks on this car.

My thoughts - I jack the front of the car up and remove the undertray. Grab a battery from my tractor or whatever. Of course it will be easy to get a good connection for ground, but where can I latch on to if I want to backfeed 12 volts to the car so I can hit the door lock? Remember, the car is in the "ON" position. Can I latch the positive jumper cable on to the alternator connection, or will it fry something? (I wouldn't THINK so...?). Can I even reach that from underneath? Any other points that would be safe to latch on to?

Thanks for any help with my incredible stupidity....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, and another thought - I have to be really careful. I'll be under the front of the car with the back wheels still on the ground. Imagine if I accidentally power up the starter??? I *think* it's out of gear, but not 100% sure. (I almost always park in neutral, especially on flat, but I also don't usually leave the key in the ignition)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume no responsibility for this comment as I am unsure what damage it could cause..

Could you possibly peel back some of the weather stripping and fit something in there to lower the window and then just push the window down enough. The windows are not that strong and I have noticed this from leaning on it once and having it accidentally lower a couple inches.

OR

Call Mitsu and have them make a copy. It may not be a bad idea to have a copy anyways for future reference. Or maybe they have some ideas of how to get in after you prove your ownership with the vin number or whatever. Original owners were given a little tiny tab of metal with a number code on it which is to be used incase of ever needing a set made.

Last edited by evo unknown; Apr 16, 2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by evo unknown
I assume no responsibility for this comment as I am unsure what damage it could cause..
+1

You could wedge the door from the body with a shim or a stick and get enough separation to use a coat hanger in. But be warned this will scuff your door jam, and if you wedge it to far you will bend the window rails on the door or even worse the door it self.

I've had to do it a couple of times not fun @ all. It is the same way a lock smith will get into your car, they usually use a soft door stopper wedge to minimize damage.

Good luck be careful, think about getting AAA in the future. Then you can cringe while someone does it for you.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, but see I'm trying to avoid all that. #1 I don't think it's going to work - try depressing your manual un-lock button. It's a *****. There's NO way you're going to do that with a hanger, and it's on the vertical surface of the door.

I'm not going to have the door jam/seals/paint etc damaged while some fat slob from a AAA lock company tries to do it with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. They make you sign that they are not responsible for damage they do, so they have no responsibility to be careful, and their biggest drive is to hurry to the next job. MAYBE you wind up with a good guy, but that's the exception.

I'll break a window first.

The reason I posted is that this is a bit of a unique situation. I DO have the key fob, usually you don't. Looking for creative ways to power the car up And YES, I absolve anyone from any action against them, I'm just looking for ideas. If I try to use an idea, that's my problem.

I'll try giving Mitsu a call, but I'm guessing they will want the original key to copy. I didn't get a metal tag as I bought this car used. I do have a title, not sure if they can do it from a VIN.

Any other ideas for powering up the car from underneath?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Do what Mr.O says I have done it the same way plenty of times. U can pull on your door a lot before it even begins to stress.

Then once you get in and if you did bend the door a little just hold the door open and pull the top of the door/window back in and youll be all set.

Use a door stopper prefferably rubber and use a piece of thin strong flat stock and just pop the door open not the lock
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

did u try using jumper cables? just a thought
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by rgonyer
Yeah, but see I'm trying to avoid all that. #1 I don't think it's going to work - try depressing your manual un-lock button. It's a *****. There's NO way you're going to do that with a hanger, and it's on the vertical surface of the door.

I'm not going to have the door jam/seals/paint etc damaged while some fat slob from a AAA lock company tries to do it with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. They make you sign that they are not responsible for damage they do, so they have no responsibility to be careful, and their biggest drive is to hurry to the next job. MAYBE you wind up with a good guy, but that's the exception.

I'll break a window first.

The reason I posted is that this is a bit of a unique situation. I DO have the key fob, usually you don't. Looking for creative ways to power the car up And YES, I absolve anyone from any action against them, I'm just looking for ideas. If I try to use an idea, that's my problem.

I'll try giving Mitsu a call, but I'm guessing they will want the original key to copy. I didn't get a metal tag as I bought this car used. I do have a title, not sure if they can do it from a VIN.

Any other ideas for powering up the car from underneath?
It will work I've done it in my IX like 3 times, getting off with the key in the ignition is common thing when u have a turbo timer atleast for me, alittle scuff is cheaper to fix then a 200 dollar piece of glass, if you buy a rubber (soft rubber) door wedge you can get about a inch to 2" between the door and the window, if you need more idk, you dont have to use a coat hanger if you think its to flimsy, plastic broom handle works to.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:26 AM
Former Sponsor

U could ask a cop to Jimmy it for u lol, pop a lock? None of those services available in your area? They only charge $50, instead of bending doors and breaking windows
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Man I've done with hammer claw and a 4 foot ninja sword anything will work if the person is capable.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Man I've done with hammer claw and a 4 foot ninja sword anything will work if the person is capable.
Ive done it with a lighter, my wallet, a piece of dried wood, a lath (from a surveyor on a construction site). On tons of cars, I only speak from the experience of owning the car for 4.5 years, but what do I know. When they broke into my car and destroyed my passenger side window with a centerpunch, I would have preferred them use this method to get into the car. Instead of me having to shell out 295.00 bucks for a replacement glass. Dam High Co-Pays !!!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I got in the weather stripping on the drivers door with a wired hanger and hook onto the lock and bam took like a hour to finally hit it but got it. I was at olive garden and I was full and didn't feel like doing anything lol.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

I'm actually pretty darn handy doing stuff like that, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when i locked my keys in my evo, i tried for 2 days to get it open...and failed miserably. i tried coat hangers and even rigged up this fishing line apparatus that almost got the door unlocked. i ended up calling AAA and they got in the rear door by going down past the trim on lower part of the window with a hook and unlocking it...it took about 30 sec to do. if u dont have AAA, hopefully u have a friend that does because all they have to do is be there with u and AAA wont ask any questions about whos car it is...good luck
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Connecting to power at the alternator isn't a bad idea... but its not a good idea either. You are still running around with alot of live juice on a loose connection.

Just have the cops do it for you... my old roommate used to lock his keys in all the time and they never screwed it up. Way better option than breaking the window.

If thats not an OK solution for you, go have mitsu cut you a key. It will probably be decently expensive, but better than breaking the window if you don't want someone to slim jim it.

Lastly, you can make a copy of the key part for unlocking the doors... you just can't start the car with it. So maybe thats a good idea for.... next time

Quick Reply: Locked my key in, need help - Yes I know I'm stupid.