Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with Transmission

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Transmission

Hey guys

I just bought my Evo 9 MR last month. Everything was okay as far as driving and changing gears. Its suppose to have an exedy single carbon clutch in it with about 10k. Now, last week, it started grinding in 4th gear and 6th was being a hassle. Then just a couple days ago, it was slipping bad for example, 2nd gear at about 2-3 rpm and if you WOT, it would go from 3k and then slip all the way to 7k without gaining power or boosting. It would do the same on 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear.

Then yesterday, just as I got to my driveway, I heard a small pop and that was it. The shifter no longer goes in gear at. Its almost like its not connected to anything anymore. If you play with the shifter, its like mush versus actually feeling like you have a gear box.

So any ideas before I rip it out. Im thinking the throw out bearing is fried or it was a bad install from the previous owner. Any help in advance is appreciated.

BTW, I have not raced, auto-x, or beaten on it since Ive got it so far. Just dd back and forth to work

clifnotes: I have an exedy single carbon clutch. trans was working fine up until last week where it started grinding. a few days ago, lost power (slippign) in rpm past 3k in all gears. yesterday, something popped and now wont go in gear and the shifter feels like theres no shift box.

update:

got the trans out and the clutch is done. but the pressure plate is still looks good. can i just buy another clutch for it and used the pressure plate.

its an exedy part number 92682005a1. i cant find any info on the clutch nor the pressure plate. clutch is part number ta093

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; May 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you check the Slave? Also check the shift linkage busings on the motor. Sounds like the clutch took a dump. You can drain the tranny fluid and see how bad it is and if anything flows out. The MR tranny is a pain in the a$$ to pull. If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling it out you should have it looked at and either rebuilt/refreshed. Its not something you are going to want to take out again..

If the car is off does it shift?
Old May 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Did you check the Slave? Also check the shift linkage busings on the motor. Sounds like the clutch took a dump. You can drain the tranny fluid and see how bad it is and if anything flows out. The MR tranny is a pain in the a$$ to pull. If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling it out you should have it looked at and either rebuilt/refreshed. Its not something you are going to want to take out again..

If the car is off does it shift?
Thanks for the quick reply. It does shift and moves when its off but when its on then its crap.

The slave is still good as when you press the clutch pedal, its still pushing. I havent really had the chance to take a look at the shift cables yet but I will once Im off work.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yah no problem. I just went through this last summer.. You will learn it comes with the joy of owning the 6sp..
Old May 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

I had similar problems My throw out bearing pop'd off. You have to drop the tranny for that and might as well change your clutch since it was slipping.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoFlash
I had similar problems My throw out bearing pop'd off. You have to drop the tranny for that and might as well change your clutch since it was slipping.
Im thinking the TOB is either broken or wiggle itself off from the fork
Old May 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

That sounds like a pain in the *** to fix I have a mr and I mean that hasn't happens to me yet *knock on wood* but what are the odds of it popping out again after it's popped back in?
Old May 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I found this how to guide while searching. Sounds like fun

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...51f090fb2098c8
Old May 10, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

That is a good guide but the MR is a bit different to remove. the way the shift linkage sits its such a pain in the Ballz..
Old May 10, 2010, 05:49 PM

I am having mine done this week, and I'm having the retaining "thing-a-ma-jig" installed to insure the TOB never pops off. Mine is also an MR but I aint doing anything to it until I either get a Shep 5 speed, or hopefully a decent rebuild kit to bullet proof my 6. Hopefully the Exedy Twin will hold everything just fine.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

That is a good guide but the MR is a bit different to remove. the way the shift linkage sits its such a pain in the Ballz..
Is there a guide on here to take that out?
Old May 11, 2010, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

There is. I am on my phone I will see if I can find it later. Also start reading on how tonrelease the TOB and order a few new orings for the tcase.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

There is. I am on my phone I will see if I can find it later. Also start reading on how tonrelease the TOB and order a few new orings for the tcase.
Sorry you have to go thru it, but it might be a good experience overall
Old May 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

when you do the tranny change on the 6 spd make sure you remove the bolts for the shift linkage and put it in neutral and pop the shift linkage out before you start removing the tranny. it's the only way you will be able to get it back in, in my opinion. BUT if you can and have the right tools/shop pull the engine and tranny out together. much easier and less likely to F something up.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Stm and a Few other companies have a clutch fork stopper or w.e here is the link to prevent the ToB form doing this. http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._fork_stop.htm

Quick Reply: Need help with Transmission