Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clicking while braking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking while braking

I noticed when Im braking I feel a clicking and hear it slightly from the front right wheel...Im thinking CV axle maybe?

What do you guys think?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Cracked rotor?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

my friend had the same thing. he didn't know what it was but when he changed his rotors and pads it went away
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think its the axle. Like the others said it's probably related to the rotor/pads if its only there while braking.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Check the pad retaining clips.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have aftermarket pads, some of them are not tight enough, and have play. As far as I can figure, the holes where the pins go are too large in the pad. When the shift happens in the pad, you'll get some pad knock within the caliper. For me it happened with the PFC 97 pads.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A CV axle would normally only make noise under load or when turning you would hear the clicking. Something that does it only when braking I would think would have to do with the braking system. If you can try putting it up on a lift, drive it, and hit the brakes and see if you can find out exactly where it is coming from.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:47 PM
Ru

Originally Posted by SWOLN
If you have aftermarket pads, some of them are not tight enough, and have play. As far as I can figure, the holes where the pins go are too large in the pad. When the shift happens in the pad, you'll get some pad knock within the caliper. For me it happened with the PFC 97 pads.

I had the same issue after I put on aftermarket pads. Doesn't hurt anything though
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:27 PM

My guess is the axle , I had the same experience on my 97 eclipse and it was the axle, Just get down and check if you see any crack boot or something

But The brakes is common one , Just the check that part of the car for anything not normal
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SWOLN
thats my thought as well
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 PM

For those saying it's the pads, I think you may be right...the previous owner brought the car to a small shop to have them done. Im thinking they're autozone pads and they didn't use any shims possibly. I am also getting vibrating while braking like a warped rotor.

I guess I'm going to have to replace the rotors, pads and shims...then hope it's really not a CV axle

Unless you guys think it's ok to drive on until Im ready for new pads...although my rotors being warped is annoying also
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ru

Yea, I'm getting a really bad shimmy when I brake too. Pads are still at 50 %. Gonna switch over to some cross drilled brembo rotors soon. You'll just need to change the front ones.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marroccowned
For those saying it's the pads, I think you may be right...the previous owner brought the car to a small shop to have them done. Im thinking they're autozone pads and they didn't use any shims possibly. I am also getting vibrating while braking like a warped rotor.

I guess I'm going to have to replace the rotors, pads and shims...then hope it's really not a CV axle

Unless you guys think it's ok to drive on until Im ready for new pads...although my rotors being warped is annoying also
As long as there is still pad left on there, it's not going to hurt anything. It'll just be annoying to you hearing the noise.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also.. check in your service manual for the diagram if necessary... and ensure all contact spots on the pads are lubricated properly... with either copper, aluminum or ceramic anti-seize... Will make a quiet & happy evo...

Looks like this: