Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod

Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod

Just measured my 6-speed shifter throw and came up with 4". Every one who gets in my car says it feels "firm" and "short" some say it has a "solid" feel. Well to me none of those words fit! I think it has a sloppy, loose, long feel. So here i sit two years after having purchased the car trying to decide what to do. As most of you know Works makes a short throw for the 6-speed that reduces it by 35% supposedly. So that would put me down to a 2.6" throw and i am planing on either having this shifter installed (proprietary design) or figuring out how to do it myself. But even with a shorter throw i would still have the sloppy, loose feeling. So my fix for this would be the AMS Shifter Base Bushings and the AMS Under Hood Shifter Bushings. After that i will also be installing a HEAVY (1lb) Stainless Steel LatheWerks Shift Knob.

After all those parts are installed most people might be happy! But im a perfectionist and always want to go deeper into a project until i think it can become no better! This is where i hope my machining background will help. I will pull out the shifter lever and try to add .5" - 1" of length UNDER the pivot point and subtract .5" - 1" of length ABOVE the pivot point. The only issue i will have here is the reverse lockout ring but i am 100% sure this can be done! The question is how much time it will take and how much money! Also adding length under the pivot point can cause a problem with linkage binding and such. If this does cause a problem i will settle for just subtracting length from above the pivot point.

If i can subtract 1" from above the pivot point i will be down to a 2.25" throw. If i can combine that with adding 1" below the pivot point i will be down to a 2" throw and will be happy!

What i need help with is finding a stock Evo 9 6-speed shifting lever with all of the reverse lock out ring parts still in tact. if anyone knows where i can find one PLEASE let me know ASAP! Also please post your thoughts on my plans! I am always open to others thoughts and criticism!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

How do you sleep at night?

I had a kartboy short shifter with stiff rubber bushings kit and weighted knob on my ol' wrx and it was short precise and tight. Then I got the mr and you're right it's tall long sloppy and notchy. I bet with the works kit, the bushings. And a good weighted knob it will be 100% better without the extra clearances.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

im not 100% on if it fits a 6speed
i have one on my 5speed
but might help abit or you could make one maybe

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=250712
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
underhood shifter bushings make a world of difference in shifter feel

it was one of the most rewarding things I ever did to my evo ix

I'd start there
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
underhood shifter bushings make a world of difference in shifter feel

it was one of the most rewarding things I ever did to my evo ix

I'd start there
+1.
I recently got Buschur base and underhood shifter bushings installed on my ix mr. I think you'll be more than happy with the results.
It pretty much takes away most of the sloppy and loose feel you are talking about.
However, if you still want to work on the short shift kit, I think i'm interested. My brother just picked up a Honda S2k CR. Wow! About as good of a shifter as you can get imo.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 02:56 AM

thanks for all the thoughts! It keeps me wanting to do this! Now so my car doesent have to be down so long it would be awesome if someone knew of a place where i could get a 6-speed shifter assembly! Thanks again
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:29 AM

where can i get these shifter bushings
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:23 AM

Bushings

I purchased and installed Beatrush shifter (in-car) bushings from Kami-Speed. Install was straight forward and the results were amazing. After installation, the gear shift felt more precise, less sloppy - a whole lot more 'tighter.'

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Last edited by madvally; Aug 2, 2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by E MAN
where can i get these shifter bushings
base bushing - https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...85ca0b07a231e1

underhood bushings - https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...85ca0b07a231e1
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a IX-MR and have the WORKS 6-speed short shifter kit and ALL their bushings: Console, Under hood, etc. It 'WORKS' great for me! I love the throw distance and the feel!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

^ does the WORKS 6 speed come with the bushings or were those aftermarkets like AMS or Bushur?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
^ Hi Joe. No it does not come with any bushings...But, they are worth getting! I got all that WORKS offers: The shifter mechanism that sits over the trans & ALL their bushings and I am totally satisfied with the end result. (My car is a daily driver) I would do this again in a second! -Howard.

Last edited by NJ9MR; Aug 3, 2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Lol i new that name looked familiar... Howie ill pm you on TSE
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:28 PM

Got the knob in today! I love it guys! You should all go and buy one! Def one of the most quality machined (after market car) parts ive seen! And im a machinist/tool maker!!! And fast shipping! Ordered Saturday! Shipped Monday! Received it TODAY (Tuesday)!!!

Now all I have to do is Shorten the shifting lever! It looks retarded! Its SO tall! Someones gotta find me a 6-speed Shifting lever w/ reverse lock out assembly! And possibly the 6-speed shifting linkage so i can screw around with it and see what i can do! I do hope to market these products (shifting lever) when i am all done!

Keep the comments coming! Thanks Guys!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

def dont like the sloppiness of the 6spd.. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo 9 MR Shifter Mod