Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well, after 161,000 miles, my EVO IX MR is finally gonna get it...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, after 161,000 miles, my EVO IX MR is finally gonna get it...

by IT, I mean modified I've kept the car basically stock (current mods in sig) for reliability purposes over the past 2 years because of the instability in the job market, and the economy overall. Now that everything's finally settled down, and I've gotten comfortable in my new location, it's time to let myself have it.

Today I ordered a few things. For aesthetics, I ordered a set of new OEM IX USDM headlights, and a JDP CF SE lip. This will be my 2nd JDP lip, and 4th lip overall. I had 2 authentic Ralliarts before that. Hopefully this one lasts longer than 3 months. My stock headlights were a bit hazy, and I got a good deal on a new set so I did that. I plan to have the stockers professionally refinished, then have them up for sale.

For performance, I ordered a Megan O2 housing and 3" downpipe, ETS upper and lower intercooler pipes, and a Walbro 255 fuel pump. Next on the list as soon as I can get definite pricing will be a Mil.Spec 100 cell bolt on cat, Mil.Spec throttle body shaft seals, and OEM injector seals.

All these parts will be installed by KevinD, and he'll do the tune as well. Anyone who knows me from this board knows that I've beaten on my car all 161k miles, and I'll continue to do so on the street, on the track, and at autocross. Because of that, I've got a few preventative maintenance items lined up as well.

Plans after this immediate stuff will be new coilovers, a set of wheels, and possibly a shep 6speed rebuild down the road just for reliability purposes.

Can't wait to get everything done. I'll post pics when I start getting stuff in.

UPDATE:::::

What came in today:

UPDATE:::::

What came in today:

I also got my Walbro 255 in today (not pictured)

I'm about to go change my oil, rotate my tires, install the new headlights, and then put on the IC piping.

this was in the mailbox for me today. Mil.Spec 100 cell race cat. I'm still waiting on my ETS intake, Megan O2 housing, and injector seals...and I may possibly order a new MAF sensor.

So to update: The ETS lower IC pipe, headlights, and JDP SE lip are all installed already. The ETS intake should be here tomorrow, and I will install it along with the upper IC pipe. The other parts will be installed next week by KevinD, and it will be tuned. I've also added stainless steal brake lines, and amsoil brake fluid to the list of mods. I may add more things between now and then if i can think of any other reliability items to replace.

:::UPDATE::::
ETS intake finally got here, so I'll be installing the UICP and intake today

Last edited by ODUB; Sep 13, 2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looking good over there
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
161k miles untill you mod it, thats insane. I had parts on order for mine the day I got it and doing a 500whp build at 1000miles.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:16 PM

niceee bro
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
161k miles untill you mod it, thats insane. I had parts on order for mine the day I got it and doing a 500whp build at 1000miles.
I wanted to learn the car and push it to it's limits before I raised those limits to make sure that I became a fast driver, and not just someone with a fast car. That, and I had a lot of other obligations and priorities that were a lot more important than modifying my car. It was fast enough, and the way it sits with me behind the wheel I dominate my class in every autocross event I enter, so like i said, no point. I only wish i'd had the opportunity, and the time to pursue racing more seriously. I've checked out your website, and i'm jealous lol.

now though, I think it's time to have a little fun.

Last edited by ODUB; Aug 4, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Damn 161K? I guess I should thank the Army because my 03 only 55K. Have fun with the mods!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nasty...way to do what most of us planned in the beginning. "I won't mod it much" lol

I just hit 90k...you do some serious driving
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
I wanted to learn the car and push it to it's limits before I raised those limits to make sure that I became a fast driver, and not just someone with a fast car.

Best thing I ever heard someone on this forums say. You can throw all the power you want at the car but if you can't handle the power what's the point. Everyone need to learn to drive there cars to the limit, stock before they start to mod.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:22 PM

Yikes I know this thread is not about mileage but I am going to cry about mileage. I only have 65k on my 05 and I hate seeing the odometer turn over every time I drive it but that is insane and I know there are a few people on here with 150k + but I try and keep the mileage off mine just always been a pet peeve of mine I guess. Ok off my box and back to the original thread! Congrats sir! Very smart!

(tid bit of info I have a '93 TSI with 82k original on the body) So I take mileage serious!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to see you're getting your moneys worth out of your car.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:41 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
your car finally deserves it(be modified). subscribed.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:00 PM

You must have one hell of a commute! Good luck with the modifications!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

no need to worry about the reliability. i've had mine modified since day 1, and i'm at 158,000 miles now
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
your car finally deserves it(be modified). subscribed.
Indeed

Originally Posted by ratwals
You must have one hell of a commute! Good luck with the modifications!
I HAD one hell of a commute for about 6-7 months, but even without that, I do a lot of driving. I'll be driving it from louisiana to orlando and back later this month. then shortly after that, a trip to dallas and back. i've got a few road trips planned this year lol

Originally Posted by nightwalker
no need to worry about the reliability. i've had mine modified since day 1, and i'm at 158,000 miles now
Good to see more high mileage EVO's. The question is, how hard to you drive your car? lol I beat mine daily.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I wanted to learn the car and push it to it's limits before I raised those limits to make sure that I became a fast driver, and not just someone with a fast car. That, and I had a lot of other obligations and priorities that were a lot more important than modifying my car. It was fast enough, and the way it sits with me behind the wheel I dominate my class in every autocross event I enter, so like i said, no point. I only wish i'd had the opportunity, and the time to pursue racing more seriously. I've checked out your website, and i'm jealous lol.

now though, I think it's time to have a little fun.
161,000 is a bit long for training wheels. Good luck with your build.

Quick Reply: Well, after 161,000 miles, my EVO IX MR is finally gonna get it...