Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SCC Flat black rattle car / dori dori

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCC Flat black rattle car / dori dori

What’s good fellow car nerds? My evo 9 has a few rock chips in the paint by the rear 1/4 they need to be sanded and primered before I get any Honda style rusty holes. I also have a few tiny dents I want to fill to make the car back to perfect.

So here’s where the bad ideas start flowing. I want to rattle can my whole car flat black, after I fix the chips and such, like they did in SCC to the sti. I would take my time and remove the lights and do the bumpers and fenders while they are off the car. My plan was to sand the whole car and spray in an empty storage garage at my friend’s house. Then wet sand the whole car with like 1500 to make sure the flat paint is all an even flat color.

Rattle can Hondas are always 20/20 cars, they look good at 20 feet going by at 20mph. But let’s face facts we all know them little kids are not doing the proper prep work and are not wet sanding the car after.

So here’s the plan
I have a few extra Buick doors and hoods lying around so I’m going to pretend they are my evo and take my time and practice on them before I even consider spray painting my car. I’m going to try BBQ grill paint, Sandable black primer and just regular flat black. From other projects I know that the bbq grill paint levels its self really nicely but might be prone to chipping. Sandable primer levels its self the worste and I’ve herd it holds moisture but I haven’t confirmed this myself. And I have no idea how just regular flat black will be.

Reasons for rattle can paint
I drive my evo for fun only and sometimes slide off the road or trail, I could just remove damaged body parts then fix and respray fast easy and cheep.

There are very few flat black evos but all the ones I’ve seen look amazing.

I already want/ have to fix my paint chips so I’m gunna have primer spots any how

And my final reason to rattle can is nobody has ever done it on evoM but it is often discussed. So if i was to do it you can rest assured ill make a thread all about it so you can ruin your evos resale value too

Reasons for not rattle caning
WHY RATTLE CAN SUCH A NICE CAR

I have done body work on a few cars before and I’m confident i wont be making any dumb mistakes. But I want to hear some input if you guys have any experiences with going all dori dori. SCC says it takes 22 cans to spray an sti, I wish i still had that issue.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You said nobody on here has ever done it? Sure they have...one guy did it a few months back and sold his in the classifieds...dang it what was his name. I'm too lazy to search but someone can probably find it
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

As you can see there is so so much fun to be had in my area with an evo but when you fly down the trails all your doing is sand blasting your paint and whacking tree branches and sticks when your getting a lttle too side ways or are going a little too fast.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
You said nobody on here has ever done it? Sure they have...one guy did it a few months back and sold his in the classifieds...dang it what was his name. I'm too lazy to search but someone can probably find it

For real man awsome ive serched and serched but couldnt find a rattle can evo the only flat blacks i saw were perfecally sprayed amazing cars.

Do you remember if it looked ok or was it total junk like everyothere rattle can job?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:55 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered vinyl wrapping the sar in flat black?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that has been an option ive been exploring as well just fix all the scratches and dings with primer and then wrap the car but I think if im gunna spend 1500 on a wrap i might as well get a nice paint job for the 500-1000 more than the wrap. Get like a nice army green or caremel color.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

could just get the rear 1/4s sprayed GG again after I fix but then i feel like im spending money with out changing anything.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:56 AM

I personally wouldn't do this but I'm interested to see how it turns out! Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1 i wanna see how its ganna turn out
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:32 AM

I say go for it! This is one of the things I like most about Evo owners...their cars and are supposed to be fun, each one is different. You make good points for wanting to do this and I like the idea practicing first and trying out different types of paint.
Your Evo looks and sounds like it gets to have a lot of fun. Have you thought about a colored primer? Flat dark green or blue? I don't think anybody has done it.
Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:23 AM

man,,i did my 87 GTI with like 4 cans,,,just take your time, light coats, and sand with 500 grit or so.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

This guy did it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-flat-bl.html

Then I bought the car. It was Krylon flat black spraypaint. kinda started fading after a while. I sold the car eventually.

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Flat black doesn't look bad if done by pros
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't do it.

Quick Reply: SCC Flat black rattle car / dori dori