Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HFC vs test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFC vs test pipe

Alright I've done plenty of research and I pretty much know the pros and cons of both.

My only remaining question is if there is any exhaust smell with a test pipe and if so how much? I know this question has been covered before but the answers always seem to be inconsistent. I've read about how people with a test pipe end up getting an exhaust smell in the car at stoplights because there is no cat. I've also read about how people with a test pipe get no smell at all. So which is it?

I'm going back and forth in deciding which one I'll go with, and at this point its pretty much down to the smell. If there is quite the stench I'll go with the HFC and if not I might opt for the test pipe. Car is a daily drive so the extra 5-10hp from the test pipe is not too important, but it would be nice.

Last edited by savagejay1; Sep 7, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

i dont smell it except in summer and like when i stop at a light sometimes if the wind is blowing right and maybe a lil if im in a drive through or something lol....it not a bad smell at all it just a smell that you can tell its exhaust but not terriable by any means...oh and i never smell it if the windows are up...so pretty much no smell all winter
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If ur concerned about smell, get a HFC. A TP will also raise the decibal level of your exhaust. just a heads up. I know this is/was a huge issue for me, out here in cali.
From my findings, the 100 cell is one of the best flowing HFC's, but a bit pricey.
I run a 100 cell, and havent smelt a thing since the first day, when I was actually smelling for it.

GL w/ ur decision.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies

I am currently leaning with the HFC. I also forgot to ask, how long do HFC's last?

That is the other reason I'm considering a test pipe because I don't want to have to replace the HFC a whole lot. (A whole lot meaning once every 2 or 3 years)
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

My 2.5 year old HFC is now in the trash after plugging up (discovered at the dyno). replaced by a loud test pipe. I think the perfect answer that wasnt available to me would have been to get the magnaflow resonator instead of the tp but I needed both my car and my money.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

dude just get a test pipe its not that much louder and you will have piece of mind. the car is load anyway lol
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:17 PM

Get a hfc metallic cat. Should hold up better long term vs a ceramic, plus they flow better.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get a HFC, DO NOT get a Perrin. It will fail quick. My HFC is now a Test pipe. Sound is a little louder, but not much. People do tend to exadurate a bit on how loud it makes your exhaust. I thought it would make mine alot louder, but no. As far as smell, when im at a stop light or something, i smell nothing. The only time I smell something is when the car is in the garage. I was skeptical about doing a test pipe because of emissions and other reasons. But im glad I made the change. And the extra ponies after the tune was nice as well. If your in a state like cali, then get the HFC seeing as how they are not mod friendly. Im in Texas where we carry guns in our car legally lol. So im good lol.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

This is the exact same thing I go through too!
Originally Posted by EVOL2003
i dont smell it except in summer and like when i stop at a light sometimes if the wind is blowing right and maybe a lil if im in a drive through or something lol....it not a bad smell at all it just a smell that you can tell its exhaust but not terriable by any means...oh and i never smell it if the windows are up...so pretty much no smell all winter
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

get a test pipe and call it a day HFC is just an expensive test pipe with some stuff inside that "helps" emission or so they say
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i know that with a test pipe it is possible to shoot flames so alot of evo owners think. what about with this test pipe the megan racing resonated test pipe. will this stop you from shooting a flame because it is resonated?
http://stores.speedcorps.com/-strse-...est/Detail.bok
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hang187
This is the exact same thing I go through too!
i like to call it my racecar smell lol i love it
and to the guy talking about flames out your exhaust.... if you have mods and dont get tuned this is what happens...cant be good for your car running rich
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by polish_pounder
so i know that with a test pipe it is possible to shoot flames so alot of evo owners think. what about with this test pipe the megan racing resonated test pipe. will this stop you from shooting a flame because it is resonated?
http://stores.speedcorps.com/-strse-...est/Detail.bok

It shoots flames if your running rich and have no cat to stop the unburned gas. A good tune will prevent this even if you have a test pipe.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

maybe i just don't get it but wat are you talking about with smell? as long as it seals right and ur gaskets aren't garbage there shouldn't be any smell. This question confuses me
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:59 AM

some people say that without a cat you can smell whatever unburned air/fuel mix is coming out of your engine/exhaust. I personally have never experienced any smell from removing the cat on any of my cars in the past. Some people are a bit more paranoid about this than others.

Quick Reply: HFC vs test pipe