Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No Spark!? CPS bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What problems are you having?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:32 PM

car wont start... motor cranks but doesnt start. so i started checking things out. came to find out i have NO SPARK. checked all 4 plugs and no spark.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

read a post with another user similar issue...they changed the crank position sensor...and it started right up
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

I would try to change out the sensor with a known working one. See if that works.

Did you check for any blown fuses?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:49 PM

im gonna check fuses tommorow... as far as replacing it with a workin sensor.. well i dont have another sensor on hand, i would have to get one.. before i go and buy one i wanna make sure that is the problem.. i looked up in the online service manual how to check if the sensor is bad.. but most of the service manual stuff is based of SPECIAL F*ing tools.. but i got the point of how to test it though.. also saw a few videos on youtube showing how to test crank sensors using a multi-meter which i have hapilly )) the Service manual tells me to use an OSCILOSCOPE.. LMFAO those things r antique and where the F* would i be able to get one anyway .. Smallest one is the size of a kitchen TV.. WTF.... anyway.. ill be using the multi-meter...

Wish me luck!!!!

Thanks for the support so far..
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

Also, is your Fuel Pump on once you turn to key to the "On" position? Just another thing to check.

Let us know how it goes...

Originally Posted by CristianRO
im gonna check fuses tommorow... as far as replacing it with a workin sensor.. well i dont have another sensor on hand, i would have to get one.. before i go and buy one i wanna make sure that is the problem.. i looked up in the online service manual how to check if the sensor is bad.. but most of the service manual stuff is based of SPECIAL F*ing tools.. but i got the point of how to test it though.. also saw a few videos on youtube showing how to test crank sensors using a multi-meter which i have hapilly )) the Service manual tells me to use an OSCILOSCOPE.. LMFAO those things r antique and where the F* would i be able to get one anyway .. Smallest one is the size of a kitchen TV.. WTF.... anyway.. ill be using the multi-meter...

Wish me luck!!!!

Thanks for the support so far..
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

my issue was that i had a bad MAF and it was reading wrong and making the ECU adjust the fuel.... all 4 of my plugs were fouled.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Resurrecting this thread... I am having the same issue as OP. I haven't changed anything recently on the car, so I wouldn't guess that it is a recent install gone wrong... Just normal operation and one day it wouldn't start.

The only change from the last couple of months is that it has been cold as hell in NJ, and my car went from a DD to my weekend car.

I changed the battery, cleaned and checked the spark plugs, checked all the fuses, battery connections, etc... Nothing. The car isn't throwing any CELs, so not much to work with there.

The only major difference from the OP to mine is that it couldn't be the MAF because I am on SD.

Could it be the CPS? Any thoughts?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JScocchio
Resurrecting this thread... I am having the same issue as OP. I haven't changed anything recently on the car, so I wouldn't guess that it is a recent install gone wrong... Just normal operation and one day it wouldn't start.

The only change from the last couple of months is that it has been cold as hell in NJ, and my car went from a DD to my weekend car.

I changed the battery, cleaned and checked the spark plugs, checked all the fuses, battery connections, etc... Nothing. The car isn't throwing any CELs, so not much to work with there.

The only major difference from the OP to mine is that it couldn't be the MAF because I am on SD.

Could it be the CPS? Any thoughts?
I'm actually having the same no start issue. If you have a multimeter, I'd check your Cam Sensor/s (CPS) [Assuming you have a 03 VIII, it'd be just a single exhaust cam sensor] harness for the 12v & 5v signal (ignition in "on" position) along with checking the ground wire resistance. If the CPS check out okay then move onto checking the CAS sensor harness like stated above. If both of those check out okay then I'd try and replace the cam sensor/s first. Hopefully you have a friend's that you can borrow so you don't have to spend money + wait for one to come in (I bought and returned one from a parts store) If she still doesn't want to start then I'd assume it'd be a CAS issue.

Last edited by EvolutionIXMR06; Feb 25, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the fuse in the cabin. Fuse 1 its the top left corner 10a fuse. Mine was blown but that was do to a recent install of a SpoolinUp COP. I would just take a look before diving into more difficult procedures.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionIXMR06
I'm actually having the same no start issue. If you have a multimeter, I'd check your Cam Sensor/s (CPS) [Assuming you have a 03 VIII, it'd be just a single exhaust cam sensor] harness for the 12v & 5v signal (ignition in "on" position) along with checking the ground wire resistance. If the CPS check out okay then move onto checking the CAS sensor harness like stated above. If both of those check out okay then I'd try and replace the cam sensor/s first. Hopefully you have a friend's that you can borrow so you don't have to spend money + wait for one to come in (I bought and returned one from a parts store) If she still doesn't want to start then I'd assume it'd be a CAS issue.
This seems like next on my list. Thanks!

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
check the fuse in the cabin. Fuse 1 its the top left corner 10a fuse. Mine was blown but that was do to a recent install of a SpoolinUp COP. I would just take a look before diving into more difficult procedures.
I checked the fuse. Unfortunately, it was good to go. I would have gladly taken a nice and easy solution. Thanks for the suggestion!