Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ground clearance on lowered IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground clearance on lowered IX

So I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to get coilovers and lower my car.

I'm currently on MR bilsteins/Swift Rs

The ride is nice, however, I'm actually used to a much more stiff ride and less body roll, since that's the way I've had my previous cars set up.

If I do go with coilovers, I'd probably go another 1.5-2 inches lower. Nothing crazy. But, hows ground clearance. Do those of you with coilovers scrape the downpipe, exhaust, etc. ??? How's daily driving?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:38 PM

I'm on tein flex z coils and sometimes my exhaust hits going into my driveway
Old Nov 4, 2015, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Your front lip will drag on driveway entrances.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The flex section on my down pipe has seen the ground a few times, probably speed bumps, and the front lip obviously hits occasionally.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here. I'm 2" lower on stance coils. downpipe and lip scrapes accasionaly on some drive ways.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
lol. 2" lower than swift spec R's will be such a **** ride. and you'll have no suspension travel on top of the crap ride.

get larger swaybars if you want less body roll. also, adjust the roll center on the car (hint: lowering it doesn't help)
Old Nov 4, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
agreed. the suspension geometry is not good for evos lowered like that. bars for less body roll, or just stiffer springs.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
lol. 2" lower than swift spec R's will be such a **** ride. and you'll have no suspension travel on top of the crap ride.

get larger swaybars if you want less body roll. also, adjust the roll center on the car (hint: lowering it doesn't help)
I'm not trying to be slammed, I just threw out 2" since there's still a decent wheel gap w/ the Swift R's. So I figured 2" would close that up.

If I do go w/ coilovers, then I'll be picking up the RCK.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Also FWIW I should have mentioned I have the KW V3's on my car
Old Nov 4, 2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Turndown
Also FWIW I should have mentioned I have the KW V3's on my car
How low are you?

I was looking at Ohlins, but I feel like they're overkill for me. So I've been looking at Fortune Auto. Or I could just have my Bilsteins rebuilt/revalved and stay at this height.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by imissmyhonda
So I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to get coilovers and lower my car.

I'm currently on MR bilsteins/Swift Rs

The ride is nice, however, I'm actually used to a much more stiff ride and less body roll, since that's the way I've had my previous cars set up.
You can have good ride quality with stiff springs. I had a set of Bilsteins + Swift R's on my car one winter and IMHO it rode about as well or maybe worse than the car does with Motons and 600/800 # springs. (Bilsteins w/ stock springs is what I would do if it was a street car; IMHO it's pretty much perfect for that)

But you probably can't do that on the cheap stuff.

If I do go with coilovers, I'd probably go another 1.5-2 inches lower. Nothing crazy. But, hows ground clearance. Do those of you with coilovers scrape the downpipe, exhaust, etc. ??? How's daily driving?
I'm not trying to be slammed, I just threw out 2" since there's still a decent wheel gap w/ the Swift R's. So I figured 2" would close that up.

If I do go w/ coilovers, then I'll be picking up the RCK.
If you are going to dump the car (IMHO, 2" less than stock is getting there) I would definitely not get an SE lip. My car is not very low and I still scrape on certain driveways/gas stations/other random stuff sometimes. (I'm usually on 245-40-17 tires which are a tick lower than stock, for reference)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:20 AM

After really looking at my car, I'm thinking more like a half inch lower. An inch at the most.
Like I said, I don't want to be dumped. Just a little lower.

The Blsteins/Swift R set up on my car is nice, and I like it. Hell, if I don't do coilovers I will look into rebuilding/revalving the Bilsteins.

I'm keeping the MR lip and BBS wheels w/ 245/40/17 tires. I run 245/45/17 tires on IX wheels in the winter.

Btw, those SSR wheels look awesome!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

How low are you?

I was looking at Ohlins, but I feel like they're overkill for me. So I've been looking at Fortune Auto. Or I could just have my Bilsteins rebuilt/revalved and stay at this height.
I'm definitely low, but I would not say that I'm "slammed". I don't do any auto x events or anything yet, but I will say having coilers of this quality is beneficial even for daily driving. They really give a great ride. Here's a pic of my car for reference
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:00 PM

I'm definitely low, but I would not say that I'm "slammed". I don't do any auto x events or anything yet, but I will say having coilers of this quality is beneficial even for daily driving. They really give a great ride. Here's a pic of my car for reference
lol wrong pic?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice picture of your ride hahaha.

Quick Reply: Ground clearance on lowered IX